Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 challenger 392 t/a and had a question for you guys. When I start the vehicle from the key fob the car starts pretty loud then kind of idles real low then it almost like the car speeds up the idle again. Just wondering if this is normal or something to worry about. Any suggestion would be helpful. Car has 920 miles on it.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,325 Posts
It's normal. My '10 R/T has done that same thing since new. At 134k now .... no worries.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
Your 2017 has the active exhaust and when it starts from cold the exhaust baffle is fully open, thus making it louder. After a minute or less it starts closing again.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Haha yeah that active exhaust OPEN start is brutal at 5:00 am but that's just the way it is. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Haha yeah that active exhaust OPEN start is brutal at 5:00 am but that's just the way it is. :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
So true! Mine has mid muffler and resonator delete, holy moly is it loud on a cold start!! Talk about waking the dead. Yikes.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
normal. most vehicles ive owned in the past 10 years start up at higher idle then come back down after 10-20 seconds or so. normal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not worried so much about the sound it’s the dropping of the rpm like very low then the car speeds it back up

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
I have a 2015 SRT392. My neighbor mentioned something to me the other day. He said, "Every time you start that car, I can hear it, it doesn't matter what room I'm in." Then after a brief moment of silence he added, "And I love it."

Wish all our neighbors felt that way.

Ha... was just thinking: most of you guys probably do the same exact thing when YOU wake up in the morning. Ya reach over, slam your fist on top of the alarm clock, and while ya watch it go flying, you yell, "Fine, I'm awake!!!" No doubt all they neighbors hear that too...

·
Registered
188 Posts
There really should be a quiet start switch.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
There really should be a quiet start switch.
I think it would be a good thing to have the option of a quieter startup. I like the sound of a cold start but my next door neighbor works a rotating shift and I would like to be able to start the car a little quieter when he’s sleeping. He tells me that it doesn’t wake him up so I’m ok with it. But a lot of people have to start up and crazy early morning hours in quiet neighborhoods and it would be nice to have the option.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,713 Posts

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Ah ha! There’s the answer! I see that I’ve bought the wrong car! I can turn off all that noise so I can ride in peace and quiet listening to smooth jazz on the stereo.
It’ll be nice to blend in while mingling with the other two zillion Mustangs on the road so nobody will notice me.
Thanks A Guy!

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
Hate to break it to ya guys, but we had this figured out years ago. Every time we snatched the keys and snuck mom's car out for a midnight snack, we simply pushed it out the driveway and up the street a ways, and started it out of ear-shot of anybody that mattered. Problem solved. Of course we won't discuss what happened the day we got caught...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tazer I think can make it so it starts up in Auto-Eco mode which should keep the baffle closed on the exhaust on startup... I have it do the exact opposite. I get thumbs-up from my neighborhood kids all the time :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts