Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the base stereo (2010 R/T) with 4 speakers. Does anyone know how many watts this unit pushes?

Background: I just ordered Alpine 6x9s (Type R SPR 69c for front) and 6.5" components (Type R SPR 17S for rear). Plan to use the factory stereo and add an amp if needed. I've used Alpine 6x9 and 6.5 component before (in a wrangler) and it rocked. But I had an Alpine amp and head. Any thoughts on the factory head unit with amp combo with Alpine speakers?

Also, I am hoping to find a thread from someone who has installed an amp if I need to add one. First thing I will probably do is add the 6x9's, use those only with all the power from the head, add the components and amp over a few weekends, as needed. I will take the time to document process for posting.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
my car had the base system. i changed the RES radio to the RER mygig w/NAV. then i changed the base Panasonic rear 6.5" speakers and the door 6x9 speakers with Boston Acoustics from a Jeep. it sounds much cleaner now. i adjusted the EQ in the radio to add more treble to make up for the lack of tweeters in the dash.

i still want to add the front dash 3 1/4" Boston Acoustics tweeters and under dash amp. the problem is there is no wire harness in the dash for these.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the options for adding an amp to the base system with 4 speakers on the R/T? I am pretty sure I am going to need an amp with the new speakers. Looking for the easiest space efficient location. Otherwise I will probably hire someone to install one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Espazito, that is great information. Interestingly, these options did not come up when I did a search under 2010 Challenger RT! Not sure what that means.

Anyway, I picked up an Alpine 50W x 4 amp and with the Alpine 6x9s, and Alpine Component 6.5s, I was out the door for half the kicker system. Of course the install may be more difficult.

I have two problems left I am concerned about:

1. Where can I access the front speaker wires (not at the doors) for one trip back to the amp and back up to reconnect to factory wires to go to new speakers? Looking for all options!
2. Where are the best locations for a rear amp mount? Pictures here would be very much appreciated. Or if you have any good threads you can point me to for options, I'd apprecate it very much.
Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
problem 1. you have no wires for the front speakers, so no need to find access to them.

problem 2. the factory mount the sub amp under the rear shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

it seems like you have to buy both kits. the 77kick39 just to get the wire harness and a small 184 watt amp. then buy the upgrade with speakers and the 368 watt amp.

i wonder if the harness in kit 77kick39 has connections for the front dash tweeters?

isn't the stock Boston Acoustics amp 276 watts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem 1. you have no wires for the front speakers, so no need to find access to them.

problem 2. the factory mount the sub amp under the rear shelf.
#1 problem is I am a little slow. But that doesn't slow me down. I don't understand. There must be wires to the existing speakers. I intend to amplify the replacement 6x9s and therefore need to get access to those speaker wires, to bring them back to the amp and then the powered wires back up to the speakers.

#2 so the shelf on the left sounds like the best place. I hope to do a hinged mount so I can access everything.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i thought you were talking about the dash speakers. the base audio system doesn't have any speakers there or the wiring for them.

·
Premium Member
7,309 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts