Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a pic of the sub woofers installed in the spare tire well of my '18 SRT. Candidly, I would have preferred a spare tire. Anyway, a couple of questions...

1. Has anyone removed this unit, and

2. How would sound quality change if I did so?
Circuit component Carbon Font Passive circuit component Hood

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
!. I haven't. Don't know why I would. You have a tire repair kit right above it.
2. You would lose a significant amount of Bass response from the sound system.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I’ve never had such a problem, I’m less than comfortable without a spare. Not so much around town, but on longer trips through desert expanses here in SoCal. I did just purchase a MOPAR “donut” spare, but as you know it eats up quite a bit of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,677 Posts
I did just purchase a MOPAR “donut” spare,
If your car has the 6 piston Brembo brake calipers, that donut spare won’t fit over them and onto the hub.

It may fit over the rear calipers to bolt up, as I know they aren’t 6 piston like the fronts, but it definitely won’t work on the front axle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i think the main reason challengers dont have a spare tire is the fact of how hard they are to jack up even with the proper equipment.

but i feel ya im nervous without one myself as i have been in several situations where a tire repair kit isnt gonna do a damn thing when theres a 3+ inch rip/hole in the tire. just have that AAA on speed dial and be prepared to spend a few hundred extra bucks if a tire blows out.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your car has the 6 piston Brembo brake calipers, that donut spare won’t fit over them and onto the hub.

It may fit over the rear calipers to bolt up, as I know they aren’t 6 piston like the fronts, but it definitely won’t work on the front axle.
Just put a rear wheel up front and have the spare end up in the rear.

·
Registered
767 Posts
While I’ve never had such a problem, I’m less than comfortable without a spare. Not so much around town, but on longer trips through desert expanses here in SoCal. I did just purchase a MOPAR “donut” spare, but as you know it eats up quite a bit of the trunk.
Where did you purchase the spare?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Below is a pic of the sub woofers installed in the spare tire well of my '18 SRT. Candidly, I would have preferred a spare tire. Anyway, a couple of questions...

1. Has anyone removed this unit, and

2. How would sound quality change if I did so?

View attachment 1031618
Deleting that speaker will render your 15 hundred dollar audio upgrade a moot point.
In any event a real spare tire will not come close to fitting in that hole. It will however fit in the upper trunk if you care to work around it.
Tire Wheel Grille Hood Automotive tire

Reactions: snobrdrdan and 87GN

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Reactions: Yonko

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That will not clear the front brakes. If your flat is up front you will need to first pick the rear wheel of your choice and put the spare in that slot. You then move to the flat up front and replace it with the tire you removed from the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
PITA. I would just call a truck. But I don't go far from home.
Would like to get a spare to keep in my garage that could just be retrieved if needed.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,677 Posts
Beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing! ;)
If installing those in an Alpine system, the factory amp will need to be swapped out with one of the factory HK amps to be able to power the subs...and the wiring harness for the subs will have to be obtained and installed as well, as I do not believe the non-HK systems come with the HK sub wiring harness plug(s).

That's if you want to keep it all factory/stock. I guess you could go aftermarket to power the HK subs installed in a non-HK system, but if not looking to maintain the stock/factory look and feel, using factory hardware like the HK subs is hamstringing yourself right from the start.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I'm here to help you just let me know how much you want for those speakers

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
If installing those in an Alpine system, the factory amp will need to be swapped out with one of the factory HK amps to be able to power the subs...and the wiring harness for the subs will have to be obtained and installed as well, as I do not believe the non-HK systems come with the HK sub wiring harness plug(s).

That's if you want to keep it all factory/stock. I guess you could go aftermarket to power the HK subs installed in a non-HK system, but if not looking to maintain the stock/factory look and feel, using factory hardware like the HK subs is hamstringing yourself right from the start.
I already have the HK system in my Scat. It's amazing. IMO.
My son custom designs and installs car stereo systems as a sideline/hobby. I would just give them to him. He would know what to do with them! ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts