Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone know if dodge installs a tilt sensor that can tie in with the Uconnect services? Also, has anyone had any experience with Rimlox wheel locks? I’m looking to secure my rims. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
idk about the rimlox..those look waaaay to thin as far as thread contact depth.
One should have no less than .50 inch of actual lug nut thread making contact on the wheel stud, the more the better.
Factory lugs have a 60 deg shoulder taper (which is also very important if using factory wheels) and contact over .70 of thread depth with closed ends (no rusted/gunked up studs).
These are powerful cars cable of some serious stresses on wheel components, Id be very leary of a thin nut.

There is also the issue of only having 1 "locking lug" per wheel as advertised for the rimlox system.
This can be very easily defeated (wont go into it again on this post) Ideally one would want all lugs to be lockers.
Gorrilla & McGard are two top name systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the insight! I’ve been looking into Gorilla and McGard also. The only concern I have with those is that the keys aren’t unique to each set, meaning a thief could possibly have a matching key.

What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm not a fan of Gorilla's stuff, but all wheel locks do is slow down a thief; they don't stop them. Pick the one you like better for looks, price, etc. None are perfect.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
I really appreciate the insight! I’ve been looking into Gorilla and McGard also. The only concern I have with those is that the keys aren’t unique to each set, meaning a thief could possibly have a matching key.

What would you guys recommend?
My gorrilla key has 8 different internal lugs on it, each one appears to be a slightly different size & a few are different shapes and each slot (for lack of better term) therefore is also a different thickness. That key is assigned a number.
I cannot do the math on how many possible combinations could be created using this asymmetrical lug/slot system, but it has to be in the thousands if not much more. I also believe the lug shank size is non-common, meaning pounding a socket on it, its less likely to be successful, especially with a hardened steel lug nut.
Saying all this to say, a thief would have to carry a copy of every possible key, in every possible lug size to defeat the system - using duplicate gorrilla keys. The time alone, sorting thru thousands of keys, could take hours. Its a near impossibility.
The idea is to make a thief move on to an easier/ faster target or risk damaging the rim (s) in order to get it off, to the point its not saleable on the black market, thus they choose to pass on the opprotunity.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not a fan of Gorilla's stuff, but all wheel locks do is slow down a thief; they don't stop them. Pick the one you like better for looks, price, etc. None are perfect.
Bingo! During my college days, I worked at a Sears Auto Center. If a customer was missing a wheel lock key we'd simply hammer on a junk socket over the wheel lock and zip it off with the impact wrench, adding only seconds to the job. If a thief wants your wheels, they'll take them. Your best course of action is keeping the vehicle in a secure location or replacing all wheel nuts with locks and hope the thief runs out of junk sockets during the theft process.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,172 Posts
Gorilla locks have 1000's of combinations, the possibility of a thief having a key is slim. They would rely on other methods. Taking 5 locks off each wheel...unless they are vindictive and just want to ...mess them up, they will likely go to the next victim

A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts