Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I lunched my power steering pump doing burnouts. I didn't even know that was possible until I ran a search on the forum here after the fact. Apparently that's a thing, especially on 2008-10 Challengers.
Oh well, you live you learn.

Anyway, took it to the dealership who rightly said I needed a new pump. Then they said they won't know until they put the new one in and "flush the system" if I'll need a new steering rack as well. Is it really possible that the steering rack is shot too? I only drove like 5 miles straight to the dealership after the steering died and it was totally fine pre-burnout.

Are they trying yo screw me?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well, LOL, you now know why they went to an electric pump...IMO your rack should be fine, it'll just be full of air and will take twice as long to bleed...with the engine off and the wheels off the ground about 45-60 steering wheel turns stop to stop at a medium turning speed should get the air out...this should be done by the tech working on the vehicle, but if there is any steering noise after they deliver it and say it'll go away (which it won't) the above explained steps will take care of it

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So I lunched my power steering pump doing burnouts. I didn't even know that was possible until I ran a search on the forum here after the fact.
Please explain how and why breaking traction with the rear tires negatively affects the PS pump?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Please explain how and why breaking traction with the rear tires negatively affects the PS pump?
It's not the breaking traction.... it's the doing donuts with the steering wheel at full lock that kills the pump. There are quite a few threads on here about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, LOL, you now know why they went to an electric pump...IMO your rack should be fine, it'll just be full of air and will take twice as long to bleed...with the engine off and the wheels off the ground about 45-60 steering wheel turns stop to stop at a medium turning speed should get the air out...this should be done by the tech working on the vehicle, but if there is any steering noise after they deliver it and say it'll go away (which it won't) the above explained steps will take care of it

Thanks man, really appreciate the advice. So would you just tell them "no thanks" if they say I need a rack? What would I need to watch out for if the rack was going south?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have NO IDEA how these things are related, just that they are. What's really annoying is I know my burnouts didn't involve locking it out, but I tried to teach a buddy to do them and he locked it out to help him break traction. The lesson of course is don't let anyone but yourself beat on your car!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
the steering wheel at full lock that kills the pump.
Ah, this makes more sense.

So, really it has nothing to do with what the rear of the car is doing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
LOL This is great. Search my posts. I am in the SAME boat. Friday night I did a donut and lost power steering. Saturday I took my car to the dealer and they told me the same EXACT thing. **** that. I will replace the pump myself and take my chances.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
LOL This is great. Search my posts. I am in the SAME boat. Friday night I did a donut and lost power steering. Saturday I took my car to the dealer and they told me the same EXACT thing. **** that. I will replace the pump myself and take my chances.

So they tried to make you replace the steering rack too? What is a sign/symptom of a bad rack after the pump is fixed?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If the pump died by breaking up inside, the shards can get into the rack and kill it or kill the new pump too. Really depends how the pump grenades when it goes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My dealership (Tracy Dodge in CA) can kiss my ass. LOL While the pump seems to be on backorder for EVERYONE my local Napa was able to order up at $225. I replaced it in about 30 min. My belt is squealing a bit and I think oil got on it but hoping it will just dry out. If not a quick call to Kenne Bell for another. For now car is back on the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear you're up and running. Took my dealership a damn week to get the pump from Atlanta to Nashville which is just ridiculous. But it's fixed and no issues with the steering rack, so all well that ends well I guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Im curious what the dealer is charging to do this job. Mine was likely more difficult due to the fact I had to work around my supercharger bracket. I cant imagine what they would charge.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If the pump actually broke, there are metal shavings floating around in the system. You could risk just flushing the rack, but if some metallic grit is already wedged in a rack seal, its just going to wear a groove until its starts leaking. Your call, but they probably won't warranty the work unless you replace the rack at the same time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know others experience but I can tell you first hand my pump failed and no shit was left behind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They got me for about $475 :(

The mechanic seemed pretty competent and said he took a long time flushing out the system and making sure it was clean. Probably can't be certain there won't be an issue with the rack but I think they did a good job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts