Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my 2009 for a few months, this noise has been there always but for some reason it's bothering me more now, i dont remember hearing it at the dealership but I was probably blinded with joy haha. Plus, i made them show me all the service work they had done to the car and it seemed legit.

Anyway, at idle, in gear, from 500 to say 800 RPMs, there is this faint "chirp" that is happening in rhythm with the engine. It's not a whine, not even a squeak really, and its not the "hemi tick" and it's not an exhaust tick. It seems to be coming from the top half of the engine, but it's almost impossible to pinpoint, the sound fades in and out as you walk around the car, but you can hear it in the cabin with the windows down. Its incredibly annoying, especially when you pull up next to someone and the sound bounces off there car and you're sitting there feeling like you're driving some rickety old worn out car. I realize its a 2009, and its got 60+k miles on it, and i dont think this chirp is bad, i just want it to go away. The sound does completely go away at once it revs anywhere past 800rpms. And it runs just fine, no other problems.

The dealership wont even look at it until i pay the $85 diagnostic fee, and i have no warranty, other than one for a total engine failure. So, can anyone here verify this noise? I honestly think it's coming from the valves. From researching, i've read some things about the pre-2010 valves springs and the cups they sit in getting worn out and then the valve spring makes this noise when it contacts the inside diameter of the spring damper. The solution i've seen for that is to rotate the cup spring 90 degrees and it will last for another 20,000 miles, then you have to do it again... Does this sound like it may be correct?

Some other things that could possibly be it are: cold air intake bypass hose, manifold heat shield loose on the right side from broken bolts, or the belt tensioner.

I know this is kind of vague, and its a lot to read, but im just paranoid about it, Challengers are my favorite cars, my first car ever was a 1972 challenger, and finally, I am able to get a new one, even if it is used. I dont have a ton of money so I'm trying to pinpoint this as much as i can so i can maybe take it to a local shop and just tell them what to look for. I REALLY do not want to give those A holes at the dealership any more money. They are already being a pain about doing my timing chain recall.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated :(

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
I would check the simple stuff first. Try some of that lousy belt-slip spray you find at auto stores and spray the serpentine belt. If the noise goes away (or changes), then you found the culprit. Buy a new belt and be done with it. And check the bearing on the tensioner pulley while you have the belt off. Cheap to replace either, but costly if the belt fails 90 miles from home.

If you have an automatic, read the threads on cam chain failures. You may be able to get in on the recall and pay little or nothing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check the simple stuff first. Try some of that lousy belt-slip spray you find at auto stores and spray the serpentine belt. If the noise goes away (or changes), then you found the culprit. Buy a new belt and be done with it. And check the bearing on the tensioner pulley while you have the belt off. Cheap to replace either, but costly if the belt fails 90 miles from home.

If you have an automatic, read the threads on cam chain failures. You may be able to get in on the recall and pay little or nothing.
Thanks, i'll definitely check out the belt. And yeah, Im supposed to be in line for the timing chain recall, but like I said, they are kind of jerking me around about that too. If the timing chain is definitely on it's way out, will it be making any noise?

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is also the problem of the plastic spacers on each side of the radiator falling out. They will hit the fan blades and make a chirping noise. Check them out and see if one has slipped. Mine was ruined and I just pulled it out and there is no downside to them not being there.

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
You have the serpentine belt, the tensioner and and a couple of idler pulleys.

Another possibility could be the alternator.

It likely could be coming from any of those - at idle it would show up since the engine is quieter.

Once you're on the gas it would mask it due to engine and exhaust noise increasing with rpm.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine 201509 rt does the same thing. I and a fellow mechanic friend of mine spent over a week trying to pinpoint and figure out where it was coming from. We never did find it! Your not alone though, my buddies 2010 ram does the same thing. He seems to think it is something with the exhaust. I followed up on his note and my sound is loudest on the drivers side where the cats bolt to the headers. He might be on to something, but I gave up and just learned to live with it. Its been 20,000 miles and all is well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Really glad to know at least some other people have this noise too. I tried the belt conditioner yesterday to see if that would help at. It didn't. Then i got angry and did a huge burnout. That didn't help either. I know the bolts on hemis are notorious for breaking, so that may be the culprit, but i would think that would cause more of a tick than a squeak. Something's rubbing somewhere but i honestly don't think i'll ever find it. Just gives me an excuse to get a louder exhaust system to try to totally cover it up. HAHA. Had my eyes on the Pypes Violators, but maybe i should look for something that really loud at idle LOL. Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello, OP here again, just got an oil change at the dealership and now this noise is A LOT louder. they listened to it of and of course said they couldn't hear what I was talking about, they kind of just grunted and told me it was probably because i have the engine cover off. But, they are always dickheads so i just left. So i made a quick video, it's probably not the best, but i boosted the volume, im hoping someone here can put my mind to rest. I merged 2 videos, first just me getting out of the car. the noise is REALLY noticeable from inside the car with the windows down, the sound seems to come from the side or bottom and bounce off all the walls etc. Then i switched to the engine, the noise is still there, but you'll have to listen past the valve noise. That mechanical noise is NOT the noise i am talking about, im talking about the squeak/chirp that is higher pitched. I hope you guys can hear it ok. you can really here it good around the 7-9 second mark. I still dont think this is a damaging noise.. but my god, it sounds like im driving a piece of junk when i pull up next to someone. Anyone got any advice? (I've already dressed the belts) thanks guys :headbang: Sorry, it's really hard to pick up the sound on camera, especially with the ticking. It's a louder noise in person than it is here:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I bought a 14 R/T Classic and after I had the dealership install a Mopar Cold Air Intake I started hearing a chirping, cyclical sound seeming to match the idle. I took it back and said I think something wasn't tightened during the install of the CAI. They checked the installation and everything was good. They said it sounded real loud from under the car around the bell housing/torque converter area when they had it on the lift. I couldn't believe that, but the next day the transmission started shifting back and forth and finally locked in 3rd gear. Took it back in and they had a Mopar Representative come out from the Factory and check it out. The Dealership replaced the torque converter and transmission. I had 335 miles on the car. I'm not wishing bad luck or bad mojo on you, but have a transmission shop check it out, the Dealership doesn't want to find something out they should have found and then repair/replace it at their cost. Remember, stuff happens........................:surprise:

Reactions: idahoprime

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm. its definitely a good idea to maybe take it to a transmission shop. It's been shifting hard in the mornings but i chalk that up to being winter. Other than that, i dont really have any transmission issues, and it has nearly 70k miles on it. BUT, to me, the noise does seem to be coming from the bottom back of the motor, or under the car... which is basically where the torque converter is.. thanks for the psot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts