Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 scat pack triple nickel
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After adding oil, then cranking car, I saw very faint smoke coming up from passenger side of engine with hood still open. I let it run a few minutes, then turned off. Cranked it a few hours later, no smoke. What is causing that?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,320 Posts
I've seen this too. I think it's due to elevating the front of the car, causing any oil puddle in the intake to run into a cylinder instead of staying trapped there. And yes, all vehicles have oil puddles in the intake, even with the best catch can system. I saw this at around 2000miles when my car was new. I haven't seen it recently.

If it does not continue to smoke while driving, just forget about it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add, my car was still on jack stands when running to look for leaks or anything before putting maintenance cover back on. When I cranked later is was off jack stands. Thanks for reply

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
I've seen this too. I think it's due to elevating the front of the car, causing any oil puddle in the intake to run into a cylinder instead of staying trapped there. And yes, all vehicles have oil puddles in the intake, even with the best catch can system. I saw this at around 2000miles when my car was new. I haven't seen it recently.

If it does not continue to smoke while driving, just forget about it.
That would cause smoke out the tailpipes, right? If it is from under the hood, only thing that could/should do that is a bit of spilled oil when filling.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,320 Posts
That would cause smoke out the tailpipes, right? If it is from under the hood, only thing that could/should do that is a bit of spilled oil when filling.
I didn't catch that. Still early this morning. Most likely source for smoke from under the hood would be from spilled oil on the exhaust.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,513 Posts
Could be the valve cover seal wept on the exhaust. Check for oil burn marks just above the exhaust and for signs of oil near the valve cover seal using your phone to take pics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I had taken plastic engine covers off while it was smoking to search better. That said, I didn’t see oil burn marks or spill evidence when I looked after your suggestion. Next oil change, I may lower car back down before cranking, even though then I can’t look for leaks underneath with maintenance cover back on. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts