Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to say the bogus air intakes are disappointing on my 19 SP WB. Can somebody explain where the air goes that comes into the inner headlights? I know on the SP WB on both sides they are capped on the back. So where does the air go? Do these things just get filled up with water/bugs or what? I already know the driver side can be modified to actually connect to the airbox like a Hellcat but I was hoping to keep my car totally stock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Interesting that both sides on the 19+ SP WB are closed. On all models that had the intake, only the driver side is open, IE T/A, Hellcat etc. I understand my new '19 Shaker on order also has the lighted intakes but it is not plumbed to the air box.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Starting with the 2015s, the plastic cap on the back of the headlight could be removed. On the driver's side, this was so one could replicate the Hellcat airbox, either through buying the expensive OEM box and tube, or DIY for $20 and a 3" hole saw.

On the passenger side, I blew another $20 and bought a second tube, and have the air directed towards my intake. Between these two inlets, I typically run no more than +2 over ambient air temps at WOT.

Bugs and leaves get caught in the grill all the time; there's no reason to worry about bugs or water having any adverse impact on the headlight tubes.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Starting with the 2015s, the plastic cap on the back of the headlight could be removed. On the driver's side, this was so one could replicate the Hellcat airbox, either through buying the expensive OEM box and tube, or DIY for $20 and a 3" hole saw.

On the passenger side, I blew another $20 and bought a second tube, and have the air directed towards my intake. Between these two inlets, I typically run no more than +2 over ambient air temps at WOT.

Bugs and leaves get caught in the grill all the time; there's no reason to worry about bugs or water having any adverse impact on the headlight tubes.
Could you post a picture of how you routed the tube from the passenger side?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my point was I haven't had mine on a lift to see for myself if the two intakes go anywhere to like a box or somehow dump air underneath to an area I cant see under the hood or just end in a plugged off box? I figured someone here had gone down this road before with the same question.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stock, they're literally just holes with plugs in them. They are not intakes.
Exactly. The "illuminated air catcher" headlamps work as described.....they catch air and do nothing with it. It isn't deflected anywhere else, its simply a tube with a cap on one end.

I was also disappointed with this when I picked up my SP WB. Pretty lame of Dodge to actual advertise these things when they do basically nothing at all.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I see, I thought you'd connected it to the airbox.
On the driver's side, I did. I read your question as pertaining to the passenger side.

On the driver's side, I used a 3" hole saw on a drill to create the hole, then attached the Spectre tube to it. The tube fit perfectly and snugly into the headlight, and I wrapped a couple rounds of duct tape to fit it snugly into the hole I cut in the air box.

On the passenger side, a second tube again fit perfectly snug into the headlight, and so I simply angled it towards the intake.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Exactly. The "illuminated air catcher" headlamps work as described.....they catch air and do nothing with it. It isn't deflected anywhere else, its simply a tube with a cap on one end.

I was also disappointed with this when I picked up my SP WB. Pretty lame of Dodge to actual advertise these things when they do basically nothing at all.
Wait, on my 2015 R/T the front of the parking light had a plug in it, which I removed and bought the hellcat intake lower box and oem air catcher tube, now, if I understand you, the new cars with the lighted intake port are plugged in the rear of the housing? Am I understanding this? and if so is there a part number for the rear plug? I may want one if I remove the front plug on my passenger's side as I do not want the air/dirt to flow in but might want to install the Merrick Billet rings.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said I wouldn't do it but... to hell with it, ordered my parts today. I just don't feel like explaining over and over to everyone that checks out my new car "oh, well those cool intake things are actually fake". Parts on amazon around $70 total.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I said I wouldn't do it but... to hell with it, ordered my parts today. I just don't feel like explaining over and over to everyone that checks out my new car "oh, well those cool intake things are actually fake". Parts on amazon around $70 total.
Would you mind providing those Amazon links?

Thanks!

saint 0:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wait, on my 2015 R/T the front of the parking light had a plug in it, which I removed and bout the hellcat intake lower box and oem air catcher tube, now, if I understand you, the new cars with the lighted intake port are plugged in the rear of the housing? Am I understanding this? and if so is there a part number for the rear plug? I may want one if I remove the front plug on my passenger's side as I do not want the air/dirt to flow in but might want to install the Merrick Billet rings.
You are understanding correctly. The lighted intake port, on the 19 Scat Pack at least, is plugged in the rear of the housing. As for part number, no idea....Might want to check with Luke/SteveWhite.

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well my parts are due in today but now Im wondering about warranty issues. Im installing a Mopar lower box and an aftermarket tube (as the OEMs are cheapo looking) but not sure if this could affect any future warranty claims. I guess I was wondering is it the dealer or FCA that decides if a modification is covered under warranty? Im sure somebody has been down this road before. Its no biggie to hang onto the parts (for years in necessary) but Id love to know. Maybe there is a Dodge number or somebody I could ask?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a friend with a 2016 Hellcat and he said something about you can't let water go into the supercharger via the air filter.

I hesitate to doubt him on anything, but I do see on the Red Eye that the cold air filter is exposed with the trunk up (not in a box), and for sure the driver side nostril routes right to this filter. It has to allow lots of water in a rainstorm to go into the air filter. Maybe there is some kind of air/water separator?

BTW, in a review video the reviewer looked all over the passenger nostril for a pathway over to the air filter on a Red Eye and concluded it wasn't connected. But I'm pretty sure I saw a video that said both nostrils were functional and go into the air filter.

And to the poster's question - that driver side air catcher headlamp is factory opened to flow pretty much towards (if not into) the air induction on both 2019 Hellcats and was touted as extra air flow to develop HP. It would seem to be so low cost to have made a flow through stock SP air catcher headlamp as to be dumbfounded about why the heck not?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Well my parts are due in today but now Im wondering about warranty issues. Im installing a Mopar lower box and an aftermarket tube (as the OEMs are cheapo looking) but not sure if this could affect any future warranty claims. I guess I was wondering is it the dealer or FCA that decides if a modification is covered under warranty? Im sure somebody has been down this road before. Its no biggie to hang onto the parts (for years in necessary) but Id love to know. Maybe there is a Dodge number or somebody I could ask?
you can change air intakes, anything in front of the throttle body and anything on the exhaust after the catalytic converters and not void your warranty. If in doubt ask the dealer where you bought the car or @stevewhiteparts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried this mod on a 2019 SP

I ordered everything and the tube seems a tad to long to fit. Has anyone ran into the same issue?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
17 Participants
Stitches1974
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing