Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I haven't even started on mine but if there is a difference between the 18 and the 19 the part I got Im pretty sure wont fit either. I got the AFE Power Momentum GT and I just noticed the box says 15-18 Challenger. It is made of hard plastic that probably isnt as easy to trim to fit. Oh well, first thing is to talk to dealer re warranty anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I’m going to go ahead and put it on the band saw and see what I can make of it. It seems like about a 1/4 in needs to come off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have to say the bogus air intakes are disappointing on my 19 SP WB. Can somebody explain where the air goes that comes into the inner headlights? I know on the SP WB on both sides they are capped on the back. So where does the air go? Do these things just get filled up with water/bugs or what? I already know the driver side can be modified to actually connect to the airbox like a Hellcat but I was hoping to keep my car totally stock. Thanks in advance.
The capped headlamps are nothing more than aesthetics...they don't do anything and the air goes nowhere but into the tube and stops. I have the lower Hellcat air box and tube on my 2016 and it's worked perfectly. It does bring down the intake air temps. Water is not a problem since there is the opening at the bottom of the air box as well. You could remove the cap on the passenger side to allow more into the engine compartment. However, it's going to allow bugs to come in as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I wrote Dodge/FCA about changing my lower airbox and warranty implications, below is their response:

Thank you for contacting Dodge Customer Care.

We would like to thank you for your email and for taking the time to share your situation with us regarding adding a lower airbox to your 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment in your new vehicle.

Certain changes that you might make to your vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties. But your warranties don't cover any part that we didn't supply; nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be caused or needed because of the installation or use of non-FCA Group parts, components, equipment, materials or additives or additional items that were not part of the factory build.

In other words, if a non-covered part (the airbox you want) causes a failure in a covered component, for instance the engine, the repair of the engine would not be covered by the warranty. Warranty is for manufacturing or material defect. In this example, the engine failure is due to the item you added and not due to anything relating to manufacture of the engine. I hope that helps to explain how the warranty would be effected. We would recommend checking with your local FCA dealership service department before making any changes to the vehicle.

At this time, we will be closing this case. If you have any further questions or concerns, please call Dodge at (800) 423-6343 at any time.

We also wanted to let you know that we may attempt to conduct a satisfaction survey upon the closing of a case; therefore, you could potentially receive an email or telephone survey. We’d ask that you take the time to complete the survey, so we’ll know how we’re doing and what improvements we can make to enhance the customer experience. Thank you for your time, participation and for being a valued FCA customer.

Well, after reading that Im going to do some thinking before I install my lower airbox and intake tube.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Fun fact: They supply the part. It's literally a Dodge OEM part.

You're making this more complicated than it is, and the rest is clearly addressed in the Magnuson-Moss act.

Talk to your dealer if you're still shaky, but I'm not sure what you expected to get out corporate. Not knowing what/how you asked is another variable in the response...

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts
Look at it this way, they'd be hard pressed to prove it caused an issue when they install the exact same parts on other cars in their lineup. Hard to imagine any excuse they could devise as to why it won't harm the 6.2L, but will harm other engines. Honestly I don't think any dealer would think twice about a Hellcat air box and tube. A Guy

·
Registered
332 Posts
Has anyone else paid attention to the intake temps on their 19 SP? The Hellcat airbox mod made a significant difference on my 16 SP with the old hood design as my temps before the mod were quite a bit above ambient temps. On my 19 SP WB though.....from the factory I am seeing my intake temp only about 2-3 degrees above ambient temps. The Hellcat hood seems to make a huge difference in cooling. Personally, I don't think there is any point in going through the trouble of the tube/lower airbox mod with temps like these.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 19 SP Widebody that I added the Hellcat lower box and duct tube to.

Here some pics of the new Hellcat airbox bottom half (left) and the original Scat Pack airbox bottom half(right). Note that the new air box did not come with the grey foam padding around the opening (shown in on top of the opening) or the the grey foam padding on the side either.
So I had some weatherstripping laying around from a previous project, and cut it into proper length strips and attached them (adhesive backing) to the new airbox. Seals the opening well and working pretty good.

Couple things to make note of:
1. The duct tube is different for the 18 and up (Widebody) different number and shape.
2. The lower box may be a different part number as well, you might want to check to be sure.
3. The “cap” inside the headlight hole is held in place by 2 tiny #10 torx bit (see pic).
4. If you get a new lower air box, it does not come with the foam padding installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is the installation that I did on mine ( copied from my other thread).

If anyone is considering doing this mod on a 19 model, or maybe even an 18 model, if it has the lighting on the inside of the hole opening. (I am not sure). The cap is on the backside of the light. I believe the earlier models (17 and older) had the cap on the front side.

On my 19 model, it was not a “snap on” cover like my previous 16 model was. This one has 2 very small (T10 tork) screws, 1 on each side (left and right) of the cap (can be seen from the front of the light opening looking inside). They are not easy to get to, without using something like a 1/4” ratchet and a T10 tork socket, and even a very short extension. After that, it comes off easily.

When installing the the new airbox, install new foam padding around the opening and side, to match like the original airbox. Remove the rubber sleeve from the original airbox and install on the new airbox.

Now, trial fit it first, and remove it. Next maneuver the new duct tube into position behind the light, making sure the “notch” on the flange is Going to lineup with the matching slot on the side of the new airbox. Gradually slide the new airbox into position carefully and attach the duct tube at the same time.

Check to make sure everything is in place and install the mounting screw back into place. Install air filter and reattach the top halve of the airbox. Now go out and I joy some more of that fresh air!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just did mine- 2018 and the cap has to come off from the inside to the outside, pull the box, reach under and depress tabs. cover will pop out on the ground. no issue with fit of tube, either, matched right up.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
On my 19 model, it was not a “snap on” cover like my previous 16 model was. This one has 2 very small (T10 tork) screws, 1 on each side (left and right) of the cap (can be seen from the front of the light opening looking inside). They are not easy to get to, without using something like a 1/4” ratchet and a T10 tork socket, and even a very short extension. After that, it comes off easily.
Would this cap work on a 2015? Do you want to sell yours?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have a 15 model challenger, then the cap for yours is probably the “snap in” type. I think I still have one from my 16 Shaker model. Let me see if I still have it , and I will let you know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just wanted to add a video with EXACT part numbers to do this mod on the 2019+ Challengers.

Hellcat Airbox part no. 68175164AC

Mopar OEM headlight Duct-Air Cleaner: part no. 68322216AA

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
17 Participants
Stitches1974
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing