Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we get real hoods vents, and how do we remove the old ones? I think someone pm'ed me offering to sell me real vents. Said they serve more to let hot air vent from the engine compartment than to let cold air in....makes sense and either is good. Help?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Converted the scoops on my R/T two years ago. Go to the dealer and buy the functional scoops for the SRT($43 ea in Nov. 2008). All it takes is a business between the plug and the hood to lift the tabs holding the plug in. The new scoops just slide in. About two or three minutes per scoop to make the change.

There was a topic on the conversion quite a while ago with pictures, I expect it might be it a archive file somewhere on this site. With some digging you hopefully will find the old posting. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did a little research on this not too long ago. Here's a helpful youtube clip from Speedy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Got my hood vents (Bezels) from a friend. There easy to install, I just used a plastic card (think was a used gift card or something lol) and wedge it at the bottom of the vent and the hood. I put painters tape at bottom of vent where I was going to slide the card down to make sure I didnt scratch the hood. There are two clips at the bottom of the non functional hood scoops and u push the card against them and the unlatch against the hood and pop right out. When you put your functional hood scoops in make sure you put the right one in the right side because there is a right and left hood scoop. You slide the functional ones in and the end of the scoop should come out a little of the hole under your hood. The scoop should snap right in. Its pretty easy, I think Speedy a member on the forum has a video of it on Speedysgarage.com if iam not mistaken. Hope this helps, take care

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My RT came with those. Is that something new for 2011?
Maybe? Are you sure?

Just checked they come on the RT Classic not on the RT

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The threads that talk about the hood vents are 2 years old. Also at moparsupercenter you can get the hood struts to hold up the hood instead of the prop rod. If you don't have the struts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Now don't forget I am mechanically diminished.....but, I don't think it is, unless the holes are really really small.

·
Registered
239 Posts
LOL.....actually no I didn't know that. How can I tell? I distinctly remember someone posting that there are no stupid questions. I feel as though I may be pushing that boundry.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
No not stupid but like I said I never saw one of those. Mine has a normal RT Classic hood with the functional scoope and it has little ducts that go down from the hood (not all the way forward to the CAI like the MOPAR 10 just straight down 1/2" or so) the non functional doesn't. An old thread I was looking at said on 10s with that package they aren't functional.
Originally Posted by HemiOrange_RT
Bob,

Is the TA hood going to be functional? I was told it's not.
Not fuctional :disgust:. I want to get my hands on one to see how much work will be involved in cutting out an opening.

Bob
I hope they lied or changed that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok, after a trip out to the garage, the plastic inserts are solid and held in by screws. The square holes to the back of the underside of the hood are there however.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I just looked over what I wrote last night and it didn't come out. I said not open all the time what I was trying to say is the opening isn't open all the way. It has a lot of small openings that you can stick something thru but that big opening isn't all open. I hope I didn't confuse you. If you have no holes in yours it most likely isn't functional and that sure don't sound right but I don't design these things I just drive one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts