Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Fake Shaker?

17K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Green Man 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear All,

Just came back from Spring Fest 9 (Irvine, CA). 3 Mopar Shakers were there. One was orange, one was on a Scat Pack 3, one was on a blue Challenger. There was a ton of interest in the Scat Pack Charger, Challenger and Dart. One of the Dodge reps popped the hood on a Scat Pack Shaker for the crowd. We were shocked! The shaker scoop is totally non-functional! See attached image. We looked at it very carefully, and finally asked the rep how the air from the shaker got into the cold air inlet. He said it didn't, and it was only for show. Then Ralph Gilles comes by my car later. Green Man has a new AFR Shaker and he seems to know about the AFR product and Steve Dreyer. See more pictures. So I'm a bit confused what this "Fake Shaker" does for the car, other than make it look retro. At least it could be connected properly to a CAI, like the Cervini's. Now, this may have been a prototype Shaker, so maybe the real one connects to the CAI. If true, the rep should have said that. Consumers need to do their homework on this option because it raises the sticker price quite a bit.

Regards,

Green Man

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Okay, I stand corrected. So the Scat Pack one we saw was for looks only and not a functional shaker. The rep should have said that because several people looked at the engine and noticed the shaker was fake.

Regards,

Green Man

#6 ·
aMAZING HOW THE MODERN MARKETING SYSTEM makes something of basicly No worth- Not faster, no power gain, such a 'big deal'. Who cares what they say, if your happy with your car, why would you care? you giving the control of your happiness with your car to someone else, that's a mistake. I wouldn't trade my RTC for a shaker- straight-up, right now, since i put the T-stripe on the hood. You should accept the fact that your shaker is aftermarket, and enjoy it for what it is, i accept the fact that my hood strip is not from Dodge, it's a homage to the original 1970, i love it more then the current 'Shaker' fluff piece.

#7 · (Edited)
Ralph knew about afr and Steve because they met and discussed afr being the supplier for dodge. They are very impressed with the way afr's function as it seems to be the best design. But in the end it looks like they just wanted to steal some of his design. I'll stick with my afr and tell dodge I have the real deal.

#9 ·
Not sure what the "real deal" issue is about...factory vs aftermarket? whatever, let the factory babies have their bottle
As far as non-functional shaker intake...as long as folks know what they are getting when they buy...plenty of exterior mods are for nothing more than appearance sake even though they have a functional look

#12 · (Edited)
All,

IMHO, the AFR is a cleaner (no pun) shaker setup. I wish it had a trim ring option, but I can't have everything.
What I did not mention was that Ralph had 2 Dodge engineers with him. I have seen them before. They asked how the air got in and he (not me) showed them the 90 degree induction section under the front. I said it appeared to be a more direct path for the inlet air flow. So Ralph seemed to know how it worked, but they did not. Engineers are supposed to have creative power, and we know that good engineering is the bedrock of quality. Now maybe Spring Fest is part of their education, and they can't be expected to know about all the cool mods people are doing. However, Spring Fest is a gold mine of feedback and inspiration the Dodge engineers can tap in to.

Here is a picture of the 100th Anniversary Challenger. The color is High Octane Red Pearl, I believe. Up close it looks like a shade of Burgundy…very nice color. It has a special edition badge on the fenders, a patch on the front seats, color matching stitching and the leather is some kind of soft cloudy looking texture.

Very Best,

Green Man

Attachments

#14 ·
Someone needs a ram 5.7 intake with top inlet mounted under a shaker for real cold air/ram air like the old school ones were!!

#15 ·
They are functional....

...in that cooling air comes in. But they are not very effective. They look cool and "shake." They are an expensive way to get ....maybe 1 HP.

#18 ·
...in that cooling air comes in. But they are not very effective. They look cool and "shake." They are an expensive way to get ....maybe 1 HP.

The shaker hood on the 70s Challenger and 'Cuda was functional because it sat right on top on the carburetor. Even so, it was only useful at the top end of the drag strip when 100 mph speeds produced a ram effect. That amounted to about 5 mph.

#16 ·
All,

More Challenger Scat Pack 3 Shaker images.

FYI, I've seen so many unpainted shaker scoops. A lot of shakers on the 70's cars are painted. That's what I opted for. I'm sure AFR, Cervini's, Danko or Suncoast would paint the shaker bubble if you asked.

Green Man

Attachments

#17 ·
Dear All,

Just came back from Spring Fest 9 (Irvine, CA). 3 Mopar Shakers were there. One was orange, one was on a Scat Pack 3, one was on a blue Challenger. There was a ton of interest in the Scat Pack Charger, Challenger and Dart. One of the Dodge reps popped the hood on a Scat Pack Shaker for the crowd. We were shocked! The shaker scoop is totally non-functional! See attached image. We looked at it very carefully, and finally asked the rep how the air from the shaker got into the cold air inlet. He said it didn't, and it was only for show. Then Ralph Gilles comes by my car later. Green Man has a new AFR Shaker and he seems to know about the AFR product and Steve Dreyer. See more pictures. So I'm a bit confused what this "Fake Shaker" does for the car, other than make it look retro. At least it could be connected properly to a CAI, like the Cervini's. Now, this may have been a prototype Shaker, so maybe the real one connects to the CAI. If true, the rep should have said that. Consumers need to do their homework on this option because it raises the sticker price quite a bit.

Regards,

Green Man
Looking real close at your first picture I can see what looks like the inlet flange from the shaker behind the flange from the mopar intake tube. Compare it to the production pics also provided in this thread and it seems to be functional in the same manner they are.

Do you have a picture showing it from the drivers side?

#19 ·
Bundy,

We did not take pictures from the driver side...that was a goof. I zoomed in on my image and you can see the hole where the tube should connect to. But 2 of us looked at the driver side and did not see the tube depicted in the previous 2 pictures. I think they were in a hurry and just did not connect the tube up to the cold air box. The car would run fine with that tube off.

Now that I think of it, can you even order a Scat Pack 3 optioned Challenger with a Shaker??

Green Man

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.