Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after I jump started the R/T yesterday (still not sure how that happened), I noticed the wobbly sound coming from under the hood. Sort of a cross-over between loose belt sound and rubbing - I suspect supercharger. I backed the car up so I could inspect the fluid underneath, which I then traced back to the transmission that it is dripping from.

With no doggone dipstick, I can't even determine how low the level is.

2100 miles with no warranty. I think I'll go ahead and put it up on blocks and plant ivy around it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Are you looking for a pity party? You chose to void the warranty when you installed the blower. So man-up, fix the problem, and keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
999 Posts
thats one of the risks of modding to the extent you did.

if there was spare cash for the supercharger, i would hope theres some for the repairs.

hope its not too bad.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow dude I feel for you, hopefully it won't be too costly for you to fix.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The very reason why I just got rid of my Procharged Charger SRT8. It was beat on pretty hard by me so I knew it was just about time for major problems.
So, did you volunteer that info to the prospective buyer?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is a very good question, hope the answer is an honorable one.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I put the car back to stock and sold the parts separate. Then I traded the car in at the dealer. They knew it had the blower on it for a while. The car ran perfect and had no problems with it at all. It could have gone 100k more miles but who knows. I wanted something with a warranty and didnt want the chance of burning a piston. Also If I had sold the car outright to a buyer with the blower, they would not be stupid and think i babied the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE!

So, jump start fixed the battery issue. Was gone for three days and found that my drivers door does not like to close all the way. But I thought those inside lights went out after 10 minutes, so I dunno. In any event, no battery problem.

Transmission: I managed to crawl under the car and tighten the two bolts at the bottom a good half turn each. Hopefully they were the sourcew of the leak because it stopped. Or maybe it stopped because the fluid drained below the real source? Thank you chrysler engineers for omitting dipsticks. I added a pint of ATF+4 for the hell of it.

Wobbling sound under the hood. Was convinced it was not the belt. However, I pushed a screwdriver against the belt and it gave about 1/2 inch and eliminated the sound. I tried to tighten it a bit by loosening the spring tension pulley, leveraging it tighter and tightening it back. It returned under tension to the same position, so I guess we can't tighten belts. The sound has stopped, though.

While I had the hood open, I used speedy's instructions to fab my mopar CAI to fit the magnacharger and it was pretty easy. However, I had to work with different sizes and lengths of fuel line that he did, even though we should have identical setups. I'm not sure what that's all about.

So, now that I have dumped the factory box for the CAI, do I need a new tune?

ALso, are all you blower guys pulling 8 pounds or more? I think magnuson gave me a 4-6 pound pulley. She's strong, but I don;t think shes 470 rwhp strong like some of the others. Now I need a cam and shortys, plus a smaller pulley. Wish I had thought of the cam when the manifold was off but cash was tight after buying maggie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, I hope its fixed... are you running an AT or MT ? If its a AT I could prod help you out with indepth info on how to rebuild it if you need to, now or later. Since the NAG1 is the same as a 722.6 with i rebiuld in mercedes benz's all the time. Just let me know.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Get the trans checked by a dealer! These transmissions are very finicky on how much fluid is in them. That's why there is no dipstick. Trans temp makes huge difference in the fluid level. When they check it at the dealership they use a dipstick and a temp stick. Level varies with 10 degree change.

·
Registered
585 Posts
dang, thats what I call sliding into home plate hot n nasty and not even soiling yer britches, congrats. maybe step up the periodic preventative maintenance schedule a tad

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats the truth !!! Same way with the Benz's. If you want to do this your self at home, buy the dipstick from parts and ask a tech what temp they check the trans at. Then check it youself with a temp gun and take a reading. For best results take the reading on the driver side of the trans pan. Thats where the trans temp sensor is inside the pan. I do it this way at wrk for the 722.6's 722.9's when the computers are down and it wrks just fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dang, thats what I call sliding into home plate hot n nasty and not even soiling yer britches, congrats. maybe step up the periodic preventative maintenance schedule a tad

Well, at 2300 miles now there's been no reason for maintenance. I will be getting the first oil change before 3,000 and will use my freebie at the dealer to get the trans fluid checked with their magic dipstick. So far, so good since jump start, belt adjust and tightening those two trans bolts. Why the heck were they loose to begin with? I do practice 10-15 hard launches a week so maybe I shook 'em loose.:pimp:

·
Registered
86 Posts
im not too sure id be launching that much on a motor with so few miles on it and a blower. thats just my 0.02 tho...:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im not too sure id be launching that much on a motor with so few miles on it and a blower. thats just my 0.02 tho...:)

I thought the break in period was 500 miles? I took it pretty easy up until then, flooring it in occasional brief spurts, which Chysler actually recommends. I added the blower at 600 and have been launching at will ever since. I do my share of easygoing driving, but have been to the track once (trying to get back but I am having a hard time convincing Mrs. Notblue that Friday night date night at the track is a romantic interlude) and there's an empty loading dock area with about 1,000 feet of blacktop that I visit about once a week for a few hard starts. Never get past about 85MPH there because of the length, but 10 launches is 10 launches.

·
Registered
483 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts