Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not all change is good. I didn't fear when Dodge changed the 300 into the Challenger, or when they added the 392 or Hellcat. Some change is welcome and some is not. Ruining the Challenger's looks is not welcome change anymore than decreasing its horsepower would be.
True, but FCA hasn't even done anything, it is a fansite concept, and people are getting their Dungeroos in a bunch.
I personally like the concept, is it better than the current offering, no, but it looks cool.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not all change is good. I didn't fear when Dodge changed the 300 into the Challenger, or when they added the 392 or Hellcat. Some change is welcome and some is not. Ruining the Challenger's looks is not welcome change anymore than decreasing its horsepower would be.
Huh!? That didn't make one ounce of sense. That is not change, the 300 did not change into the Challenger. The Challenger just filled the void that the Magnum had left behind using a shorten LX platform (LC). The LX Platform was not only 300 specific, but Charger and Magnum as well. You are right about the 392 and Hellcat -- they ADDED them.

What you just stated has nothing to do with change but with more to do with additions.

The original statement is true "some" people on here resent change. They are comfortable with being stagnant - just read some of the comments about the future direction of the Challenger.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I happened to meet a guy who owns a Dodge dealership who's name I will not disclose, he said "according to his reps that change to the Challenger is coming in 2018." It will no longer be Challenger it will be Barracuda. He also stated that the rep was vague as to the style and specifics but they are going for the 1971 Cuda look. He said "it will be smaller and maybe somewhat Camaroesque." Take this with a grain of salt. It seems to be all speculation at this time as I can find nothing to substantiate any of this. Bad news it will probably be on the Dart platform. Again a grain of salt please. Don't shoot the messenger.
No offense intended toward your friend....but he has no clue what he's talking about. The Barracuda project was barely out of "rumor" stage before it was squashed at least 18 months ago...there is no plan for a Barracuda. There will probably be a mid-sized Avenger replacement that they are looking at making RWD, but that will more than likely retain the Avenger name.

Dealer Owners absolutely do not have any advanced knowledge of upcoming product 3 years out. They barely have knowledge of what is available this model year.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Dealer Owners absolutely do not have any advanced knowledge of upcoming product 3 years out. They barely have knowledge of what is available this model year.
That is so hilarious and yet so true! Dealers still talking about the new Barracuda coming out, lol, really they should just stick to trying to learn this year's car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
748 Posts
Huh!? That didn't make one ounce of sense. That is not change, the 300 did not change into the Challenger. The Challenger just filled the void that the Magnum had left behind using a shorten LX platform (LC). The LX Platform was not only 300 specific, but Charger and Magnum as well. You are right about the 392 and Hellcat -- they ADDED them.

What you just stated has nothing to do with change but with more to do with additions.

The original statement is true "some" people on here resent change. They are comfortable with being stagnant - just read some of the comments about the future direction of the Challenger.

My point was simple. Dodge has made changes we all liked and embraced.

It is worthless to say I fear change. What change? In what way?

I dont fear "changes ". I fear dropping the Clallenger model. I fear making the car uglier. I fear making the car less powerful. I fear raising prices to where the Challenger is no longer a good value.

Whenever people accuse others of "fearing change" it is always used as an insulting slur to put down others who don't agree with the accuser. We dont fear change. Change the Challenger to be more powerful or lighter or to cost less, nobody would fear that.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think it's all going to come down to what will sell three years from now -three years of new drivers -new potential buyers that may not care about the retro look that much-what is going to sell-the same old look or something different that the younger generation will buy up-it's all in the marketing research and what changes they need to make(if any) in order to sell cars

·
Registered
312 Posts
Some of you guys are clueless.

1. Barracuda is NEVER coming back. There are conversion kits, but Dodge will never produce a Barracuda. Stop posting links to articles speculating it 3-4 years ago.

2. Torino will NEVER exist. It makes zero business sense to cannibalize Ford Mustang sales. The picture you saw was a badly done photoshop.

3. READ dammit. Fan based concept. What does that mean? Derp derp derp.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My point was simple. Dodge has made changes we all liked and embraced.

It is worthless to say I fear change. What change? In what way?

I dont fear "changes ". I fear dropping the Clallenger model.
I agree with that...but if it does stick around, it will have to change, and that's going to be ugly around here. I was a member of ChargerForums that survived the "2011 Refresh War"...and it was BRUTAL.

I fear making the car uglier.
That's purely subjective...there's no measure of what makes a car ugly. I know guys who think the Ford Maverick is a fantastic looking car. Go figure.

I fear making the car less powerful.
As do most people. I don't forsee a return to the dark days of 1970's and 1980's...but who knows what the Nanny State may visit upon our doorsteps.

I fear raising prices to where the Challenger is no longer a good value.
If the bean-counters and marketing dweebs are even halfway competent, that SHOULDN'T happen (fingers crossed).

Whenever people accuse others of "fearing change" it is always used as an insulting slur to put down others who don't agree with the accuser. We dont fear change. Change the Challenger to be more powerful or lighter or to cost less, nobody would fear that.
Not to belabor the point, but when I accuse others of "fearing change", it's the puppy-kicking irrational types that you see instantly flame about pictures such as the one posted. There are still those who walk among us who use the words "barely acceptable" to describe the light refresh for 2015. Don't kid yourself, within the car culture, a vocal group is ready to scream at the heavens if even a door-lock plunger is redesigned. It's the nature of the beast.

I'm certainly not defending the picture the OP posted...as I know it's in absolutely no way indicative of a future product, I have no more opinion on it than I would any other fictional art piece. So no, I'm not defending the picture at all...I'm defending reason, common sense, and measured responses.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some of you guys are clueless.

1. Barracuda is NEVER coming back. There are conversion kits, but Dodge will never produce a Barracuda. Stop posting links to articles speculating it 3-4 years ago.

2. Torino will NEVER exist. It makes zero business sense to cannibalize Ford Mustang sales. The picture you saw was a badly done photoshop.

3. READ dammit. Fan based concept. What does that mean? Derp derp derp.
Not to get off topic but I sense a bit of hostility here.. what is wrong with a friendly discussion about could've-beens? Simply pointing out how we will never really know what Chrysler might surprise us with next... Because if Car & Driver is clueless about upcoming models then how do you expect a couple challenger owners on a forum site to know? Chill out man, its friday. :guiness:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not to get off topic but I sense a bit of hostility here.. what is wrong with a friendly discussion about could've-beens? Simply pointing out how we will never really know what Chrysler might surprise us with next... Because if Car & Driver is clueless about upcoming models then how do you expect a couple challenger owners on a forum site to know? Chill out man, its friday. :guiness:
Not hostile at all. Just tired of seeing the same topic rehashed over and over. It's as bad as "What kind of CAI should I buy?" question.

Yeah yeah yeah.. I could choose not to read the thread.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If the next Challenger looked anything like that pic, I would have to go Camaro, even though I think it's just as ugly.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
The fact is the Challenger will have to change, and with only 1 previous generation 70-74 worth paying homage to it will probably lose it's retro styling somewhat.....
It has to change your right. Im afraid its going to as well. How much they keep retro styling is anybodies guess.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It has to change your right. Im afraid its going to as well. How much they keep retro styling is anybodies guess.
Ultimately it depends on which way the winds blow in terms of what potential customers are interested in. If "retro styling" is no longer a popular option when the marketing dweebs do their focus testing, then I could see the next Challenger moving away from that. It may still carry some heritage styling cues, but it may not be a complete retro-ride.

It's all marketing...there isn't a car on the market whose styling, pricing, and options haven't been focus-group-tested as much as possible, then a few more times.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Ultimately it depends on which way the winds blow in terms of what potential customers are interested in. If "retro styling" is no longer a popular option when the marketing dweebs do their focus testing, then I could see the next Challenger moving away from that. It may still carry some heritage styling cues, but it may not be a complete retro-ride.

It's all marketing...there isn't a car on the market whose styling, pricing, and options haven't been focus-group-tested as much as possible, then a few more times.

Thats right. And I guess they have to figure after keeping the car relatively the same for what 7-8 years, are they getting new interest, are diehards going to keep buying the same thing? If you look at it now if I have a 12, why buy a 15?

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Too many changes would suck. It' precisely that retro look that makes it so popular. I for one don't want it to morph into some European looking thing.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I think they are going in THIS direction...lets hope so

21 - 40 of 40 Posts