Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all.

Just got my Trinity, along with a Jet 180º T-Stat. Was wondering what I should set the temp settings to on the Diablo, so as to take full advantage of running cooler. If it's relevant, I live in Los Angeles where the temperature can range from 100º on summer days, and can drop down to the low 40s and high 30s at night in the winter. I mostly drive on surface streets, but also do some freeway driving. Other mods are listed below in my signature.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Only ones you need to chage are the LOW MPH HS, MS & LS (HS is High fan speed, MS is medium fan speed and LS is low fan speed)
I run the following:
HS Low MPH 198 (this is down from the 219 factory setting)
MS Low MPH 194
LS Low MPH 190
These work good in Texas heat.
The factory setting for High MPH and AC on are fine as the fans will rarely run with airflow through the radiator.

Reactions: Tharvey04 and RobF

·
Premium Member
11,145 Posts
Down here in FL I have always set them up like this:

LS: 184
MS: 194
HS: 194.

These cars do not have a MS fan, so its always been the same as the HS fan.

Down here the cars on average run at 188

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I run 182/184/186 (I think). Might be 184/186/188, in any case I experimented with the higher settings recommended above and found my coolant temp ran in the low 190s, with the settings I have now it runs 186-190.

Reactions: RobF

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
subscribing so i can find the post when i get back to Texas so i can set this on my car. Thanks for the thread.

Do the settings differ between the R/T and the SRT? I would not think so but i am no expert by any means...

1,931 Posts
I run 182/184/186 (I think). Might be 184/186/188, in any case I experimented with the higher settings recommended above and found my coolant temp ran in the low 190s, with the settings I have now it runs 186-190.
The settings you posted will keep the coolant cooler but will run the high speed fans excessively resulting in premature failure. That is why you see a big spread in the stock settings...

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The settings you posted will keep the coolant cooler but will run the high speed fans excessively resulting in premature failure. That is why you see a big spread in the stock settings...
Lifetime warranty. ;)

Plus, when was the last time you heard anyone complain about their fan failing? I'd much rather reduce KR and timing being pulled due to higher temps and heat soak than extend the life of my fans. :D

·
Premium Member
11,145 Posts
I have seen a lot of fans go bad lol Many customers have replaced their fans in the past. And we have sold bunches of them.

And BTW...on the Lifetime warranty - you wonder why the computers were locked up so tight from Chrysler? Its for reasons just like that! LOL You set something that makes a part work past what it was designed to do, then have the factory replace it LOL!!!

Just throwing that out there!! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I have seen a lot of fans go bad lol Many customers have replaced their fans in the past. And we have sold bunches of them.

And BTW...on the Lifetime warranty - you wonder why the computers were locked up so tight from Chrysler? Its for reasons just like that! LOL You set something that makes a part work past what it was designed to do, then have the factory replace it LOL!!!

Just throwing that out there!! LOL
On the flip side, really how much more are the fans working when set to compensate for the lower t-stat?

Factory t-stat and higher fan settings to match doesn't necessarily mean the fans operate any less.

Also, I'd be curious to see if fan life is shortened more by constant on-off cycles or constant use. It's fairly common knowledge, though there are some that will dispute it, that in the computer world letting a hard drive remain on and spinning is less likely to fail than one that spins up and down frequently.

Plus, having the fans come on at a lower temp keeps the fans themselves cooler and might help prolong their life! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I just was answering your question on have you seen fans go out - and that answer is a resounding yes. ;)
Anything can fail. :D What sort of failure rate do they have, though? I don't recall seeing any "My fan failed!" threads here, let alone multiple or even an entire thread dedicated to tracking the failures.

Luke could probably look up the parts demand for them. A new fan motor (Not the whole fan assembly) is only about $100 so even if I paid for a new one myself it's not a big deal for the added benefit of a cooler engine.

1,931 Posts
Setting aside fan failure my other reason for setting the fans higher is I don't like hearing the high speeds running all the time....annoying in my opinion....and if I really want to cool the car down for the track it only takes about 2 minutes to change the settings lower.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Setting aside fan failure my other reason for setting the fans higher is I don't like hearing the high speeds running all the time....annoying in my opinion....and if I really want to cool the car down for the track it only takes about 2 minutes to change the settings lower.
Have you run that thing all modded up yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts