Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well folks, it was fun while it lasted! On November 11th I attended a private track day at Heartland Park road course in Topeka, KS. It was my third trip to HP over the last few years and my goal was to try to improve my previous best lap time of 2:14. I use Harry's Lap Timer on my cell phone so i get good data and history of lap times each time I visit a track. During the 2:00pm session I had an incredible lap and set a new personal best of 2:07.01, shaving a full 7 seconds off my previous PB earlier in the day. To say I was ecstatic would be a huge understatement. We finished the day about 4:45 and I headed home for Edmond. At about 7:35pm while southbound on I-35 l(less than 5 miles from home, mind you) a large female deer jumped in my path and I hit her going 70+ mph before I could even touch my brakes. The fact that I wasn't killed is testimony to the solidity of these cars, but the sad news is the Challenger was totaled. I have since purchased a used Porsche 911 ('99 model year, Carrera 996 coupe, 6 spd manual) that has been immaculately cared for. I will sorely miss my 2010 Challenger R/T Classic, it has been the funnest vehicle I have EVER owned, by far!! The video attached was shot at about 11:30 am of me coming down the main straight, about 8 hours later she was toast. RIP Challenger, you gave me some great days!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Additional Photos can't get the video to upload.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,836 Posts
glad to hear you are okay!

hitting anything, especially when a deer runs out in front at that speed...and your first reaction is to tense up.

I've recently saw a buck bolting across a back road (another car was in front), but it happened that quickly to see a light brown blur and realize what it was after it got across the road...

So you went from automatic to M6 with the Porsche. I remember when you went through the timing chain issue a few years ago.

Still a 911 would be fun on the track - enjoy

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
Rick, that's an awesome new ride that you have. I'm sure that you'll have a ton of fun with it.

Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad your ok and sad to see you go. Have you ever owned a Porsche before? I hope you have money to service it especially with that kind of miles on it. It’s a cool car and I wish you luck

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
He didn't say he was leaving :) Just saying goodbye to his old friend.

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,902 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Challenger but glad to hear that your ok.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Owned a 1966 Porsche back before I had a third kid on the way . . . hmmm 5 people and a Porsche . . . that won't work; reluctantly sold it in 1994. They are expensive to maintain, that's for sure!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts