Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Glad you posted this question Dennis. I have been thinking about installing my Oracle LEDs markers.
I was wondering best way to get in there
thanks
parrott

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Banned
429 Posts
Those are plastic rivets, once removed they can not be re used. So use a drill to drill in the middle then you can pop then out, you can buy new plastic rivets and use a rivet gun to reinstall or push pins
They are 1/4 plastic rivets
View attachment 1000402
You can buy 1/4 push pins to replace them, me I am very picky so I purchased a pack of Mopar 1/4 plastic rivets on eBay for 10 bucks and a 1/4 rivet gun on eBay as well like 35 and it’s looks like oem

If I ever need to remove it I have it plus I plan to do a Hellcat front which also Influenced in buying the tool and plastic rivets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
You can get the rivets and rivet gun (fits in the wheel well with tire turn all the way in) from harbor freight. As for removing them I use this tool with blue handles shown in this thread, acts like a long and thin pair of diagonal cutters.

I guess amazon still has the tool.

·
Registered
677 Posts
awesome, !
Those are plastic rivets, once removed they can not be re used. So use a drill to drill in the middle then you can pop then out, you can buy new plastic rivets and use a rivet gun to reinstall or push pins
They are 1/4 plastic rivets
View attachment 1000402
You can buy 1/4 push pins to replace them, me I am very picky so I purchased a pack of Mopar 1/4 plastic rivets on eBay for 10 bucks and a 1/4 rivet gun on eBay as well like 35 and it’s looks like oem If I ever need to remove it I have it plus I plan to do a Hellcat front which also Influenced in buying the tool and plastic rivets
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, I like the Mopar oem rivet Idea. I wonder if the 'Fastenal' stores would have those plastic rivets ? you never see anyone there,,, hmmmmm:unsure:
Thanks for the advice
best regards
parrott

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If not for China the shelves in Auto stores and at Amazon would be bare. Shame on us. At least the Redeye was screwed together in Brampton. Mine Pre Covid too!
Vehicle Car Subcompact car

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
4,936 Posts
Glad you posted this question Dennis. I have been thinking about installing my Oracle LEDs markers.
I was wondering best way to get in there
thanks
parrott
I just replaced my side markers with after market LEDs and I did it without removing those rivets. You can get to the rear ones from underneath. Gotta squeeze your arm up past the resonator but it's not that bad. You can get the front from under the hood. You have to remove the airbox on the driver side but that is pretty easy. It didn't take me long at all to change them out.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have removed probably 1,000 of those at this point. I normally use a very sharp putty knife (I sharpen it on a stone), slip the putty knife under the rivet head, then hit the putty knife with a small hammer.

Cuts the rivet head right off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
awesome, !

Cool, I like the Mopar oem rivet Idea. I wonder if the 'Fastenal' stores would have those plastic rivets ? you never see anyone there,,, hmmmmm:unsure:
Thanks for the advice
best regards
parrott
Got mine from Amazon. Used them to install splash guards on my Ram too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Sometimes you can overthink things...

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
Cutting the heads off or drilling is the most common method of removal, prying them out with a trim removal tool sometimes works as well. They can't be reused, need to be replaced with another plastic rivet or push pin. I recently completed repaint of the bumper cover on the Scat Pack and had to replace many plastic rivets. The most difficult part was remembering which holes had push pins and which holes had rivets. Plastic rivets and rivet gun are handy to have on hand, many uses to avoid rust that would occur if metal fastener were used.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. Got it done. Advice really helped. Not too much collateral damage. Clips hardest part.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Dodge challenger
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber
Po

I turned the wheels with the engine off. Electric power steering felt like a weird chop. All six fasteners looked like this.
Wood

1 - 14 of 14 Posts