Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im trying to figure out a way to make my dodge challenger r/t faster. More tq and more horsepower. What is the best way to go ?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,543 Posts
Define “safe”

Any mod that makes a significant difference in the car’s acceleration could be considered unsafe from a warranty maintenance standpoint.

What is safe vs unsafe when it comes to modding for your car?

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,581 Posts
Define “safe”

Any mod that makes a significant difference in the car’s acceleration could be considered unsafe from a warranty maintenance standpoint.

What is safe vs unsafe when it comes to modding for your car?
safe [säf]
noun
A strong, fireproof cabinet with a complex lock, used for the storage of valuables.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,800 Posts
Im trying to figure out a way to make my dodge challenger r/t faster. More tq and more horsepower. What is the best way to go ?
Assuming 5.7 R/T, trade it on a Scat Pack. That is the BEST way, period.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,501 Posts
I don't know which is the best way but I'd start with a tuner, you can gain some HP with a custom tune. Then depending on how much more you want to add you can super charge, add nitrous, headers, change the rear gearing etc.. Lots of mods are possible, you probably should do some research on the forum, get an idea how much more power you want to make and then formulate a plan of how best to reach the goal.

Reactions: Nuke

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,195 Posts
What year?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,915 Posts
Maybe we should ban "buy another car" as an answer to these type inquiries...Whether someone feels it's worthwhile to modify a 5.7L is not the question asked. To add to good info on actually accomplishing what was asked for that it will be expensive, for limited return, and that trading for a Scat Pack, etc. may be the better option is OK. Some people have what they have, and don't want to/afford to take a beating on their car and get another. There are ways to add power as some mentioned, and some people also like to work on what they have. Some also just want to know what's available, and at what cost so they can educate themselves

A Guy

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I happen to agree with Nuke (I missed the fire proof option lol). Now that I’m done joking I also agree with AGuy, many of us want to work on our own ride. I could’ve bought a Scat, but honestly speaking I’m building a Car that will put perform both a Scat and a Hellcat. Many will say that it’s costing me more, but honestly it hasn’t because I’ve done about 90% of the work and found amazing deals. Now to answer the question, depending on goals, you can stroke your motor, labor intensive but worth it if you don’t want to do an engine swap and deal with ECU programming. You can go the bolt on route. There are many so do a search. You can get crazy like me and do an engine swap/build with power adder upgrade. The possibilities are endless you just need to figure out a budget and how fast you want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nitrous hands down.

Reactions: Chllngrswpr

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,581 Posts
I happen to agree with Nuke (I missed the fire proof option lol). Now that I’m done joking I also agree with AGuy, many of us want to work on our own ride. I could’ve bought a Scat, but honestly speaking I’m building a Car that will put perform both a Scat and a Hellcat. Many will say that it’s costing me more, but honestly it hasn’t because I’ve done about 90% of the work and found amazing deals. Now to answer the question, depending on goals, you can stroke your motor, labor intensive but worth it if you don’t want to do an engine swap and deal with ECU programming. You can go the bolt on route. There are many so do a search. You can get crazy like me and do an engine swap/build with power adder upgrade. The possibilities are endless you just need to figure out a budget and how fast you want to go.

Go to my Showcase and take a gander at what I've done to my 2014 Shaker. It just might surprise you...

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Maybe we should ban "buy another car" as an answer to these type inquiries...Whether someone feels it's worthwhile to modify a 5.7L is not the question asked. To add to good info on actually accomplishing what was asked for that it will be expensive, for limited return, and that trading for a Scat Pack, etc. may be the better option is OK. Some people have what they have, and don't want to/afford to take a beating on their car and get another. There are ways to add power as some mentioned, and some people also like to work on what they have. Some also just want to know what's available, and at what cost so they can educate themselves

A Guy
I know and I agree I should have said a bit more, but, he did say "Best" If you upgrade to a same year Scat Pack, odds are it will be cheaper than modifying a 5.7, and you get more than just extra power. You get better brakes, rear end, suspension. Better re-sale over a modified car.
I suggested that, because that is what I did. I had a 2015 Charger R/T (R&T) and was seriously considering adding a Edelbrock E-Force system ($7,500ish?). For about double what that would have cost, I upgraded to a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack SHAKER with about $5000 more equipment (massive brakes, adaptive cruise...) (On top of the Scat Pack itself!) than my 2015 Charger, plus newer uConnect with Android Auto. Plus I got a car with about ½ the miles.
So, for $15K or so, I got
3 years newer
16K less miles
115 more HP
95 more torques
Better rear end
Much better brakes (I got 6 piston Brembos)
Adaptive cruise
SHAKER
newer uConnect
And I will probably carry a much better resale value for many years, so the net increase is even less.
BUT, if replacing the car is not an option, I would suggest "go big or go home" don't waste money on something that will get you 15hp or so, you will never notice, and will not be satisfied. I'd go for something like my original plan, Edelbrock E-Force or something like that. You don't have to rip too much apart, and keep it mild, and get close to Hellcat Black Key power.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

A Guy
Agreed! Obviously, the poster already knows that he can just buy another car - he doesn't need others to tell him that. :)

There may be specific reasons why he doesn't want to do that. "Buy a different car" doesn't answer the question at hand - at all.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
539 Posts
Okay ... I'll bite. Though it's always curious to me when someone new to the forum (Welcome from Jacksonville, Florida) asks this type of question and doesn't reappear to reply to the answers.

Anyhow ... reach out to the guys at American Muscle Performance in Pompano Beach, FL. Here's a link to their Instagram page ... AMP - Instagram.

They've had good success building power from 5.7's. ..... but you can probably throw your warranty out the window.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Okay ... I'll bite. Though it's always curious to me when someone new to the forum (Welcome from Jacksonville, Florida) asks this type of question and doesn't reappear to reply to the answers.

Anyhow ... reach out to the guys at American Muscle Performance in Pompano Beach, FL. Here's a link to their Instagram page ... AMP - Instagram.

They've had good success building power from 5.7's. ..... but you can probably throw your warranty out the window.
Oh yeah, warranty, another reason to upgrade the whole car, but like l said above, if I wanted more, the place I would start would be a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts
Superchargers and nitrous are great, if you have a money tree growing in the back yard. For those of us without unlimited funds, the following items can be purchased for next to nothing and installed relatively easily:

Throttle Body spacer: +0 HP
Catch Can: +0 HP
Cold Air Intake: +/-5 HP
E3 spark plugs: -5 HP
Drilled & slotted rotors: +/-0 HP
Royal Purple engine oil: -5 HP
DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid: +\-0 HP
performance parts stickers: +5 HP ea.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
430 Posts
I know and I agree I should have said a bit more, but, he did say "Best" If you upgrade to a same year Scat Pack, odds are it will be cheaper than modifying a 5.7, and you get more than just extra power. You get better brakes, rear end, suspension. Better re-sale over a modified car.
I suggested that, because that is what I did. I had a 2015 Charger R/T (R&T) and was seriously considering adding a Edelbrock E-Force system ($7,500ish?). For about double what that would have cost, I upgraded to a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack SHAKER with about $5000 more equipment (massive brakes, adaptive cruise...) (On top of the Scat Pack itself!) than my 2015 Charger, plus newer uConnect with Android Auto. Plus I got a car with about ½ the miles.
So, for $15K or so, I got
3 years newer
16K less miles
115 more HP
95 more torques
Better rear end
Much better brakes (I got 6 piston Brembos)
Adaptive cruise
SHAKER
newer uConnect
And I will probably carry a much better resale value for many years, so the net increase is even less.
BUT, if replacing the car is not an option, I would suggest "go big or go home" don't waste money on something that will get you 15hp or so, you will never notice, and will not be satisfied. I'd go for something like my original plan, Edelbrock E-Force or something like that. You don't have to rip too much apart, and keep it mild, and get close to Hellcat Black Key power.
Not sure I completely agree with you (if you ignore the warranty and resale value). I think if you are smart with your shopping (and car) and don't have to pay for labor, you can approach what a Scat Pack offers for less money. If you start with a car with the STP package, you have a close approximation of the SP suspension and drivetrain upgrades, and you could even buy a Shaker with the Tech package and get all the stuff you have as well.

Here's the list I have:

6.4 Cam/springs/etc. - $1000
6.4 intake - $600
6.4 exhaust manifolds and cats - $800
Catback - $1200
Tune (this assumes a new PCM) - $1200
4 piston Brembo swap - $1800
WRT wheels - $1000
Front splitter swap (not necessary, I just like the look) - $1000

That adds up to $8600, leaving room in the $15K ceiling to add the Severe Duty II cooling, 6 piston Brembos and maybe even OEM 9.5 wide wheels. I padded the numbers so it might be even cheaper than that, but I am also working off memory so maybe some numbers are low, too.

Now, if you bought a base R/T without the STP package, you might have a bunch more in swapping the diff and suspension, which is why I think you would have to go into this with the right car.

Granted, it is still short 30-40 hp/tq compared to your SP, but if I leave off the bigger Brembos and wheels, I should still have enough left over from the $15K you spent to still add a Magnuson SC, which I think will more than cover the deficit. Or add a cam bigger than the 6.4 and long tube headers and it might be close comparison for power for a bunch less money. But either way, not sure 30-40 hp/tq would be the end of the world.

And if I wanted CarPlay, the later UConnect is a proven swap into my car for $1500 (or less).

If I were starting with an R/T with the Performance Handling Group, I would do the cam/intake/exhaust swap for less than $2500 and call it good. That would give you everything an SP has and 85% of the power for significantly less money. Or swap an SC on and have more power for just a little less money.

At the same time, I do agree that if a warranty and/or resale is important, then upgrade to an SP. The return on investment for upgrading an R/T is pretty small so value will not go up unless you find the right buyer. And if a warranty is important then the individual might not be looking to do the work themselves and might need to factor in several thousands of $$ for labor making it less likely this would be cost effective.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,810 Posts
The question is pretty vague because before I can give you an answer, a budget has to be known. It's easy to sit here and spend your money, but if I tell you that a Definite way to make your Challenger faster is a stroker or a Hellion twin turbo setup for your car and you don't have a budget for that, then it's not a good, accurate solution to your question.

So, not to be Nosy, but how much do you want to spend to reach your goal and from there we can help make your car faster.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts