Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a lot of research of tire fitment on modern Challengers before I bought my wheels and tires. I can tell you that what I have is probably the widest (& tallest) rubber you can run, while lowered and have no rubbing issues. I realize that not everyone is into the 22" wheel setup that I have, so I pretty much laid it out below what will work with each wheel sizes, lowered on Eibach Pros. These sizes will probably not fit with the Eibach Sportlines, or similar, lower springs without rubbing issues.

Here is my car with 22's. Below I photo shopped close to what each wheel size will look like with the maximum rubber lowered on Eibach Pros. On the sizing charts below, my tires/wheels are on the left for comparison.

Also, finding some of these sizes may prove to be difficult.

Hope this helps clear up confusion for people looking for this info,
-Lance

My specs:
Wheels are Huntington Bolsa's
Rear: 10.5" x 22 with 25mm offset
Front: 9.0" x 22 with 20mm offset

Tires are Nitto NT 420's
Rear: 285/35/22
Front: 265/35/22

Eibach Pro Series Springs

20" specs:
Wheels:
Rear: 10.5" x 20 with 25mm offset
Front: 9.0" x 20 with 20mm offset

Tires
Rear: 285/45/20
Front: 265/45/20

This is really close to how it would look with this setup:

My tires on the left for comparison:

18" specs:
Wheels:
Rear: 10.5" x 18 with 25mm offset
Front: 9.0" x 18 with 20mm offset

Tires
Rear: 285/55/18
Front: 265/55/18

This is really close to how it would look with this setup:

My tires on the left for comparison:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
What, no 15" example? LOL

Nice work, that should help some folks who are the fence, for sure.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nice.......but....

Maybe I should have been awake during math class, this makes my pea-brain numb.............
might as well wrote it in a different tonge...........
And I'm sure that someone other than myself totally understand this but not this dumba$$.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great job rajunz. Challenger looks perfect.

·
Registered
404 Posts
By the way, can someone explain what "offset" and "backspace" means in relation to a wheel and tire setup? I just bought my Challenger about a month ago and I'm new to this whole thing. I'm very eager to learn.

1,931 Posts
Your car looks great and thanks for the very detailed spec charts......But I have to take to task your statement "I can tell you that what I have is probably the widest rubber you can run, while lowered and have no rubbing issues".....the 285/35/22 tires are 11.2" wide...the Nitto 315/35/20 tires on my car's rear are 12.4" wide.....I am lowered about 1.75" with no rubbing issues....but your tires are 1.1" taller...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should probably re-phrase things. What I'm running is probably the widest/tallest combination that will work, for those that want their tires to tuck in the fenders. I've seen some run as wide as 305's in the rear and 275's in the front, but they've got more of a fender gap or, they're rolling their fenders.

I'm positive that these sizes will work, You can probably run a 295 in the rear that's this tall, but will have to deal with the plastic inner fender. Also, you can't go any taller of a tire in the front without gringing on the ball joint stud.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, can someone explain what "offset" and "backspace" means in relation to a wheel and tire setup? I just bought my Challenger about a month ago and I'm new to this whole thing. I'm very eager to learn.
Look at these charts. A smaller offset number pushes the wheel out more. In these examples, the outer fender is to the right vs, the charts above, they're to the left.

Not enough POSITIVE offset gives you this.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks rajunz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the reason I love this site, EXACTLY the information I need for my wheel/tire woes. Thanks Rajunz and TNCharger for the info on the offset on a 10.5" wheel and how wide I can go with the drop.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Thanks! This is awesome information. Now I just have to figure out how this translates to the SRT. I like the black pocket SRT rims that I have, but I would like them 10.5"... Maybe I could send them off to have them widened? If that were the case they would need to know what part of the wheel to widen. Excuse my ignorance on this issue as I never messed with wheels on these newer cars--it just seemed so easy on the older Mopars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wheel/tires

The Blue Beast! My 2013 RT auto Jazz Pearl Blue. Magna charger etc making 455 rwhp 469tq.
American Racing Torg Trust II chrome 20x8 front with Nitto 245/45/20 20x9.5 rear 285/40/20

Look at these charts. A smaller offset number pushes the wheel out more. In these examples, the outer fender is to the right vs, the charts above, they're to the left.

Not enough POSITIVE offset gives you this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Thanks! This is awesome information. Now I just have to figure out how this translates to the SRT. I like the black pocket SRT rims that I have, but I would like them 10.5"... Maybe I could send them off to have them widened? If that were the case they would need to know what part of the wheel to widen. Excuse my ignorance on this issue as I never messed with wheels on these newer cars--it just seemed so easy on the older Mopars.
The inside portion of the wheel is the only option for widening. By adding 1.5" to a 9" wide SRT wheel, you will then need to run a .5" spacer.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rajunz your car looks awsome bro

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Gypsy!

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Great stuff... I decided to use up my tires first (only 1500 miles on them) and then do some upgrading next spring and use this year's mod money on some other things. I really do like the black pocket SRT wheels, so I will probably have those widened on the back... That is unless I change my mind... LOL

Thanks again for all those who have helped! I have signed on to this thread and will review it next year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm just wondering if it really would work to put 285/55/18s on a Challenger. I've been thinking about doing something like this with my Cragars and it kinda makes me nervous, wondering if it'd rub....after all they are SUV tires...

Chris:shock:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know they won't rub if your wheels are a 10.5" wheel with 25mm offset. If you're not sure, take one off one day and go through these dimensions. That's a mighty tall sidewall though,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts