Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have a major issue with Dodge of Canada @DODGE_canada (FCA of Canada) with regards to a warranty issue over my OEM wheels off my 2016 SRT Challenger. My car has 25000 km (15,500 miles) and was bought in July of 2016; however, the OEM wheels have corrosion around all 4 wheels (just inside the rim where the inner tire sits on the rim). They weren't holding any PSI and was told by Kal-Tire @kalTire (big chain tire/wheel shop) here in British Columbia, Canada, that there was corrosion around the lip of each wheel.

I have taken meticulous care of this car from day one and it is kept inside a closed garage. I drive it to work every day where it is also kept in an underground closed parking lot. The wheels have never been in an accident or damaged. I live in Vancouver; it's not like months of salt took a toll.

I was losing 3-4 PSI every day and having to fill up air on a daily basis. I went to my local Dodge dealership where I bought my vehicle and they stated that this was a warranty issue that had to be dealt with by FCA of Canada. FCA of Canada stated that the new car warranty is valid for 3 years or 60,000 km (whichever occurs first). FCA of Canada then denied my warranty claim as they indicated that the corrosion was caused by an "external source". What external source? All 4 wheels with the same corrosion? Give me a break.

The case manager at FCA stated that if the tires were switched over at a Dodge dealership, this would not have been an issue. She then went onto say that they don't know what type of machine this tire shop uses that could have been the culprit. As I indicated before, @kalTire is a national tire and wheel shop that installs tires and wheels on a daily basis. Tires were changed twice. Dodge Canada @DODGE_canada looked for a loophole to get out of doing anything about an issue that was clearly a factory defect.

As my claim was reviewed twice by FCA of Canada and denied a second time, I am given no other option besides taking them to small claims court. I was given a quote of $3500.00 each OEM wheel for a total of $14000.00 (Canadian) for the set.

I am going to post about all the details here, on other forums, and on social media, and I am getting my paperwork/picture evidence together to file the claim next week. I want to let everyone know about this issue and let everyone know how it goes as I am a cautionary tale here. And I'm pretty choked. Dodge Canada is definitely souring the experience of buying this beautiful, and expensive, dream car.

The irony here is that my last 3 muscle cars were Mustang 5.0 @FordMustang and I never had one problem with them. I moved to the Challenger to try Dodge out. Pffft.

Any advice about small claims court before I am forced to move forward?

#Challenger #Dodge

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am not in Canada but my advise would be to consult with an attorney first and see if they can negotiate with Dodge of Canada. I am sure that Dodge did not manufacturer the wheels and the possible cause of the corrosion could be environmental. It is also possible that the wheels or rims on your car were not properly treated by the manufacturer for corrosion protection.

If you feel that you don't want to go through all of this, I would see if a wheel or rim repair shop would be willing to strip down your rims & re coat them for proper corrosion protection. If the rims are unsafe, you may might also be able to get a provincial or governmental agency involved as well. Anyway, just some other avenues to ponder as to how you can resolve this situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. We were hoping @DODGE_canada would have provided some good customer service. even as a goodwill gesture to ensure repeat business. Especially as it seems pretty clear they sold me wheels without corrosion protection.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,012 Posts
I am more amazed at the $14,000 price quote

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,218 Posts
I am going to post about all the details here, on other forums, and on social media, and I am getting my paperwork/picture evidence together to file the claim next week. I want to let everyone know about this issue and let everyone know how it goes as I am a cautionary tale here. And I'm pretty choked. Dodge Canada is definitely souring the experience of buying this beautiful, and expensive, dream car.

The irony here is that my last 3 muscle cars were Mustang 5.0 @FordMustang and I never had one problem with them. I moved to the Challenger to try Dodge out. Pffft.
See this here ^ where you come in bashing Dodge while talking up the other brands (with 4 whole post to your name) complaining about a 3 yr. old car that you've clearly driven (enjoyed) for 15k miles, demanding a "good will gesture" just because... is where a person loses all credibility or desire for others to genuinely help you.

Threatening to put any company on Internet blast, is the new way people who don't have a rightful claim/cause now try to get their way, hoping the pressure of social mob mentality will make a company bend over.

It's very possible that the rim issue is caused by exactly what Dodge says (twice) it was caused by. But you just want to stomp your feet, throw a tantrum because its not the result you wanted. This is how cease and desist orders and mil$$ defamation lawsuits start. You want to do all this for 4-5 psi air loss, which could be caused by any number of things from a bad lot of tires, faulting TPMS valves, corroded rim lips, from not cleaning de-icer out of the rim/tire edge or damage to any of those things from a tire shop- the same shop that happened to have touched all 4 tires. ok. :|

I'm also pretty certain Dodge warranty states clearly what is covered and what is not and the terms of that coverage..that will be the 1st thing a lawyer ask you to see. Truth is,the solution is even easier (and cheaper) than determining blame..take the rims off and go get them professionally reconditioned, including machine re-surfacing and re-coating of the tire lip edge...probably cost you far less than 1hr of lawyer fees and certainly less time, trouble, effort, stress and BS than suing Dodge with their multi-million dollar legal team in court.

Good luck.

Reactions: White R/T

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a major issue with Dodge of Canada @DODGE_canada (FCA of Canada) with regards to a warranty issue over my OEM wheels off my 2016 SRT Challenger. My car has 25000 km (15,500 miles) and was bought in July of 2016; however, the OEM wheels have corrosion around all 4 wheels (just inside the rim where the inner tire sits on the rim). They weren't holding any PSI and was told by Kal-Tire @kalTire (big chain tire/wheel shop) here in British Columbia, Canada, that there was corrosion around the lip of each wheel.

I have taken meticulous care of this car from day one and it is kept inside a closed garage. I drive it to work every day where it is also kept in an underground closed parking lot. The wheels have never been in an accident or damaged. I live in Vancouver; it's not like months of salt took a toll.

I was losing 3-4 PSI every day and having to fill up air on a daily basis. I went to my local Dodge dealership where I bought my vehicle and they stated that this was a warranty issue that had to be dealt with by FCA of Canada. FCA of Canada stated that the new car warranty is valid for 3 years or 60,000 km (whichever occurs first). FCA of Canada then denied my warranty claim as they indicated that the corrosion was caused by an "external source". What external source? All 4 wheels with the same corrosion? Give me a break.

The case manager at FCA stated that if the tires were switched over at a Dodge dealership, this would not have been an issue. She then went onto say that they don't know what type of machine this tire shop uses that could have been the culprit. As I indicated before, @kalTire is a national tire and wheel shop that installs tires and wheels on a daily basis. Tires were changed twice. Dodge Canada @DODGE_canada looked for a loophole to get out of doing anything about an issue that was clearly a factory defect.

As my claim was reviewed twice by FCA of Canada and denied a second time, I am given no other option besides taking them to small claims court. I was given a quote of $3500.00 each OEM wheel for a total of $14000.00 (Canadian) for the set.

#Challenger #Dodge
Hmmm something does not sound right. My father last summer bought a 2015 Charger from a local dealer, one I go to all the time, and found out in November 1 side blew heat and the other side cold. The dealer fixed it for nothing on a used car. I bought a work beater off of them (Intrepid) and when it was in their shop for a transmission issue, 1 year after I bought it, they gave me an Avenger for a loaner, when I bought my jeep (used for a work beater) they filled it up with gas, and they do not do that on used cars. It is all about relationships.
My cousin bought a Challenger G/T from them, and my brother just traded in their Chrysler 300 there, after he swore to never buy another Chrysler after the 3.7l in his 300 spun a rod bearing at 80k miles.

BTW on the Mustang thing, I had a family member who bout 1 Ford and it actually turned into two, their first and their last.

·
Vendor
12,751 Posts
Hello everyone,

#Challenger #Dodge
please pm me your vin, curious what wheels you have???

the most expensive wheels we have are the brass monkey on the Hellcat at 2600.00 retail each, 14k is way stupid
Luke

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hello everyone,

#Challenger #Dodge
You changed wheels before. It's not like the wheels have been on your car the entire time, so you never noticed any corrosion bad enough to cause a 3-4 PSI loss daily after you put them back on?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but having been down this road before, I gave up running one set of wheel, winter and summer changing the tires over just because the rims do get beat to piss with all the change overs. I did it for four years (1999 Saab 9-3 SE) and never did it again. The big Brembros mean you will drop about $800 for a set of wheels, but it is what it is. You might want to see what a set of custom steel wheels might run you if you can't find something readily available. https://detroitsteelwheel.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
see this here ^ where you come in bashing dodge while talking up the other brands (with 4 whole post to your name) complaining about a 3yr old car that you've clearly driven (enjoyed) for 15k miles, demanding a "good will gesture" just because... is where a person looses all credability or desire for others to genuinely help you.
threatening to put any company on internet blast, is the new way people who dont have a rightful claim/cause now try to get thier way, hoping the pressure of social mob mentality will make a company bend over.
its very possible that the rim issue is caused by excatly what dodge says (twice) it was caused by, but you just want to stomp your feet, throw a tantrum because its not the result you wanted.
This is how cease and desist orders and mil$$ defamation lawsuits start. You want to do all this for 4-5psi air loss, which could be caused by any number of things from a bad lot of tires, faulting TPMS valves, corroded rim lips from not cleaing de-icer out of the rim/tire edge or damage to any of those things from a tire shop - the same shop that happened to have touched all 4 tires. ok. :|
Im also pretty certain dodge warranty states clearly what is covered and what is not and the terms of that coverage..that will be the 1st thing a lawyer ask you to see.
Truth is, the solution is even easier (and cheaper) than determining blame..take the rims off and go get them professionally reconditioned, including machine re-surfacing and re-coating of the tire lip edge..probably cost you far less than 1hr of lawyer fees and certainly less time, trouble, effort, stress and BS than sueing dodge with thier multi-million dollar legal team in court. good luck.
Thanks for your input. Rims are covered in warranty, customer service told me so. So there's that. The amount of posts has zero to do with issue. So there's that. You seem quite emotional. Work for Chrysler, perhaps? You seem triggered. Logic says corrosion protection was issue. In any case, I love my Challenger, and yes, for its price, I expect good customer service and some goodwill for an issue caused at factory level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
please pm me your vin, curious what wheels you have???

the most expensive wheels we have are the brass monkey on the Hellcat at 2600.00 retail each, 14k is way stupid
Luke
I agree. The quote was ridiculous. But quote was Canadian dollars, so that makes a difference. Your quote Canadian dollars?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to hear about this, but having been down this road before, I gave up running one set of wheel, winter and summer changing the tires over just because the rims do get beat to piss with all the change overs. I did it for four years (1999 Saab 9-3 SE) and never did it again. The big Brembros mean you will drop about $800 for a set of wheels, but it is what it is. You might want to see what a set of custom steel wheels might run you if you can't find something readily available. https://detroitsteelwheel.com/
That's great information, thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm something does not sound right. My father last summer bought a 2015 Charger from a local dealer, one I go to all the time, and found out in November 1 side blew heat and the other side cold. The dealer fixed it for nothing on a used car. I bought a work beater off of them (Intrepid) and when it was in their shop for a transmission issue, 1 year after I bought it, they gave me an Avenger for a loaner, when I bought my jeep (used for a work beater) they filled it up with gas, and they do not do that on used cars. It is all about relationships.
My cousin bought a Challenger G/T from them, and my brother just traded in their Chrysler 300 there, after he swore to never buy another Chrysler after the 3.7l in his 300 spun a rod bearing at 80k miles.

BTW on the Mustang thing, I had a family member who bout 1 Ford and it actually turned into two, their first and their last.
Their first and their last...love it. The dealership wouldn't help but it's a warranty issue, so they don't have to. I want Dodge Canada @DODGE _canada to honour their warranty. I think that's pretty basic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You changed wheels before. It's not like the wheels have been on your car the entire time, so you never noticed any corrosion bad enough to cause a 3-4 PSI loss daily after you put them back on?
Thanks for your reply. Corrosion takes time to show up on wheels. Also, how would I notice the corrosion as it is on the inside of the wheel where you cannot see it......I only knew about the loss in PSI from the TPMS sensors...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Corrosion takes time to show up on wheels. Also, how would I notice the corrosion as it is on the inside of the wheel where you cannot see it......I only knew about the loss in PSI from the TPMS sensors...
On the inside where the valve stem is?

On the inside that faces the vehicle?

On the inside referring to the rim itself?

Do you have any pictures?

Have you even gotten new tires on those specific wheels before?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,012 Posts
Is there VAT in the price quote?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Kinda curious, do you have pictures of the corrosion that we can see? And was this a dealership diagnosis?

You say that you were told by Kal tire of the issue. Then you went to the FCA dealership and stated that this is a warranty issue. Sorry to say but that is where you went wrong. FCA or the dealership is not going to go by the word of another shop. And as others have stated above, there are any number of things that could cause that leak.

I'm not saying for sure that it's not a warrantable issue, but I have to admit it seems strange. For corrosion to get THAT bad, it would seem that something else would have to cause it. But I guess stranger things have happened?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,709 Posts
$14,000 Canadian currently $10429.73564 USD. I thought it was like pesos or something. That's a lot of scratch

A Guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts