Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you go to the drag strip, what is your favorite event to watch- Super Stock, Pro Stock, Top Fuel Dragsters or Top Fuel Funny Cars? Also, what was your most memorable drag strip event?

I enjoy Pro Stock. My most memorable experience was watching Ronnie Sox, in his 426 Hemi 'Cuda, race Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins, in his 1970 427 Camaro. It was really special because I have always been a Mopar guy and my friend was a devout Chevy guy. (Note- Back then, these awesome cars were running in the mid-9s at 150 mph+. Technology has really come a long way in the past 40 years).

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
Thanks for the memory, just loved to follow Ronnie Sox. Today's technology is awesome, last race for this year I lined up against a street driven Red Eye. I ran 11.60 at 118 he ran 9.65 at 145. I'm still amazed every time I see a top fuel or funny car run, nothing else like it on this earth.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts

Reher Morrison, Bob Glidden, Grumpy Jenkins, Don Garlits, many times use to go to Drag Strips, Gainsville, Bradenton, Sunshine Speed Way, Desoto Speedway, few others in Florida seen virtually all the big names in the 70's. 80's, and 90's. When I was a kid my Uncle had a Wheel Standing Ford Econoline and a GTX Super Stock...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins was the one to see on and off the track........ He was a local favorite at Englishtown back in the 1970’s and was the guy to beat on the track. I still remember him chomping on that cigar while working on the car.

BTW! Back to OPs question...... Pro Stock is my favorite to watch.

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the memory, just loved to follow Ronnie Sox. Today's technology is awesome, last race for this year I lined up against a street driven Red Eye. I ran 11.60 at 118 he ran 9.65 at 145. I'm still amazed every time I see a top fuel or funny car run, nothing else like it on this earth.
It's incredible that Brittany Force made the fastest pass in Top Fuel history- a national-record run of 338.17 mph in 3.659 seconds!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Top fuel and funny cars are amazing and watching them on TV doesn’t do them justice........ A must see in the pits and feel the power on the track.
I have been fortunate to have lived close to Englishtown NJ and attended many "record setting" races. The one record setting race that sticks in my head is when Whipple and McCullogh made it down the track in 6.66 seconds in their Cuda funny car...... That was in 1972.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
My Favorite Drag Strip Event and Experience :
Was me in my 1969 Pontiac GTO running a blistering 12.4 @ 107mph in the 1/4 mile at the local drag strip several years ago...:love:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Pro-Stock, to me they are the closest thing to real cars. As for my favorite event, I've been to the end of year points race at English town a couple times, but my favorite event was a King of the Hill event at Lebanon Valley Speed Way (my hometown track) back in the 90's when Steve Clukey came out with his manually shifted 340 Duster. It ran 9.8x's with him rowing the gears. He talked with me in the pits for like 30 minutes, I was about 16, every since then, I've been trying to build something as cool as that car with a Jerico or GForce trans in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts