Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just reading how FCA is going all in on rebranding the 2019 as a Alfa Romeo instead of a Sauber/Alfa Romeo. This move must have cost FCA zillions of bucks and I do not understand why they are doing that instead of reintroducing themselves back into NASCAR in the best FCA market. I'm certain FCA makes more money worldwide on Dodge than Alfa. It seems to me FCA money would be better spent campaigning in their best market a new NASCAR Challenger against the Camaro and the new Mustang rather than dumping coin into a back marker F1 team pushing an exotic brand. Anyone with any insight on this? Dodge is known for more than just drag racing.

https://moparinsiders.com/sauber-alfa-romeo-create-new-alfa-romeo-racing-identity/

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree with you 100%. But I do see their point. Alfa Romeo was big back in the 1970s-and early 80s with racing, F1 racing.

If they could have the budget to do both.

Chrysler-Dodge lost control when Lee Iacocca sold it to Mercedes. It has been the afterthought since.

FCA care more about (their own) Fiat and Alfa more than Dodge Chrysler.

The same way Renault cares more about it's own Renault more than Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Big fan of this car (and driver Niki Lauda) back then:

·
Vendor
12,099 Posts
Just reading how FCA is going all in on rebranding the 2019 as a Alfa Romeo instead of a Sauber/Alfa Romeo. This move must have cost FCA zillions of bucks and I do not understand why they are doing that instead of reintroducing themselves back into NASCAR in the best FCA market. I'm certain FCA makes more money worldwide on Dodge than Alfa. It seems to me FCA money would be better spent campaigning in their best market a new NASCAR Challenger against the Camaro and the new Mustang rather than dumping coin into a back marker F1 team pushing an exotic brand. Anyone with any insight on this? Dodge is known for more than just drag racing.

https://moparinsiders.com/sauber-alfa-romeo-create-new-alfa-romeo-racing-identity/
I would agree, unfortunately Nascar maybe dying of a slow very agonizing death, stands are empty, and no one seems to care......the issue in my daughters opinion is they have lost the girl, in other words they dont know who their target audience is....

once upon a time I was an avid stock racer and moved from Texas to NC to help my youngest daughter race professionally and reach Nascar.....it never happened which is ok....but what is sad, is the large group of friends that I use to race with, either no longer race at all and or are simply no longer interested in stock car racing and are racing something else, I can't remember the last time I watched a Nascar race, and has been years since we have traveled to one

sponsors are leaving in drove and many teams are struggling to make ends meet, even Lowes whi had sponsored Johnson for years have step down

I remember when it was impossible to get seats at Bristol or Martinsville, now call and buy them front stretch on Wednesday before the race

its all about ROI, return on investment and without people in the stands and large television audiences its doomed to fail:crying:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dodge is in Trans Am. Much more interesting than NASCAR in my opinion.
Can someone summarize how or why NASCAR moved away from "Trans Am" cars back in the 1980s? Yes, depending on TA class, tube frame, etc, TA cars have stay true to what you can buy at the showroom. Why did NASCAR moved away from that? Where Dodge vs. Chevy vs Ford actually meant something.

For NASCAR, aside from stickers, the Toyota Camry is the Dodge Charger, which is the the Chevy Lumina. Oh wait, too far back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know about the new Trans Am series and also how NASCAR is basically a spec series with almost no relation to real cars but I still think a fake Challenger/Mustang/Camaro competition would be good for building the NASCAR audience again and sell more cars. Im old enough to remember back in the day when nobody gave a real damn who drove the car, it was the battle of the manufacturers that was the point. Not many folks today know Bobby Isaac for instance. I also know about Alfa Gran Prix history but it would still seem to me dollars could be better spent in their best market. I guess one day when they appoint me in charge Ill fix it. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's a good point. In the world where people can't buy enough $76,000 trucks and $80,000 SUVs, it's important to "fake" the rival competition. The entire segment is depending on each other. I would even throw in cars like the 370Z, Supra, Corvette, and Civic Type R. If people don't want sports cars (sporty cars), then the entire segment will just die all together. At this point, in the marketplace, it's about survival.

I own a Challenger. If someone buys a Mustang, that's great. At least it's not a F150. (Not hating on trucks, but you get what I mean).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I mean I'd love to go back to the days like in the late 60's early 70's where NASCAR actually pushed Detroit designs to some extent (Superbirds/Cyclone Spoilers ect) and the day they let a RWD Taurus "coupe" run I knew those days were over. I can live with NASCAR as it is today regarding the cars primarily because of safety issues. Earnhart, JD McDuffie ect. NASCAR was never the slaughter F1 or Indy car used to be though. Id settle to see something called a Challenger giving hell to the Mustang/Camaro/Camrys? (and the first new one should go to that "zombie" team that flew the flag until last year in Xfinity).

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of the main reasons that Dodge left nascar is that they did not provide the level of factory support for engine development that the other manufacturers do. The last year they were in they actually built a prototype car for the next season and displayed it at several events but the teams engine builders left Chrysler and went to Ford mostly that year. Roush and Yates teamed up and even Penske switched to Ford, leaving no major team to build Chrysler engines. Without factory support they never came back. I still watch Nascar and I know they have very little in common with actual production cars but that is mainly for safety. When you are going 200 mph a stock bodied car just doesn't cut it. At least they got away from the boxy "car of tomorrow" that looked like a brick.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,876 Posts
Nascar is for people who like watching billboards run around a ring, passing each other.

Every once in a while it changes up when one of the billboards gets mangled and lit on fire.

It's a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the main reasons that Dodge left nascar is that they did not provide the level of factory support for engine development that the other manufacturers do. The last year they were in they actually built a prototype car for the next season and displayed it at several events but the teams engine builders left Chrysler and went to Ford mostly that year. Roush and Yates teamed up and even Penske switched to Ford, leaving no major team to build Chrysler engines. Without factory support they never came back. I still watch Nascar and I know they have very little in common with actual production cars but that is mainly for safety. When you are going 200 mph a stock bodied car just doesn't cut it. At least they got away from the boxy "car of tomorrow" that looked like a brick.
You are right about the engine development issues. I cant remember but think it was Evernham doing them. Yeah, I still watch NASCAR, not every race as I really do not dig the small tracks or the mile and a half cookie cutters (except Darlington and Charlotte). I love the road courses and the big tracks though. Funny thing is even though I'm a Mopar guy my favorite team is the Wood Brothers 21 car, I've loved them since the 60's.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
644 Posts
Not F1 or NASCAR, but...

Mopar is big in NHRA, especially Funny Car...though the Charger there would take a bit of imagination to compare to your family Charger...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not F1 or NASCAR, but...

Mopar is big in NHRA, especially Funny Car...though the Charger there would take a bit of imagination to compare to your family Charger...

And they think Nascar cars don't resemble factory cars. Without the Mopar decal on that car I would have no clue what it was supposed to represent.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm a huge Bill Elliott fan...watched him since 1985...back when a Thunderbird on the track looked like a Thunderbird...and Monte-Carlos etc...like others said, now it's just a spec series...and in serious trouble...

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I have been a loyal NASCAR follower for many a year now, I am not a big super speedway fan, I just don't get restrictor plate racing? The new Mustang looks rubbish, the Camaro is the best looking car on the track.. nothing like real life!
More importantly the racing has become something like 'This looks familiar?'
Mind you I think I feel a bit this way at the start of every season... That I'm going to stop watching this year feeling, it is yet to happen though but I fear getting closer every season as I realize How much time watching it consumes when I have so many other things to do.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Not F1 or NASCAR, but...

While I agree. Why is gm the only co in pro stock now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
644 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Somehow I don’t know if that is it. Pro stock is dieing. Why run prostock with this rule and that when you can run pro mod. More power they draw twice as many cars and rules are a lot more simplistic.

I heard ford and mopar pulled out because the cost of sponsor ship vs return was little to none. Specially when 80% that goes to a nhra event go to watch fuel cars. Heck look at prostock bike. Now they have TOP FUEL Harley or what ever it is called. Either way. It is to bad for the customers and fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts