Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It sounds like Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) CEO Sergio Marchionne thinks diesel is dead.

Volkswagen‘s massive diesel scandal has already caused several automakers to pull their dieselmodels from the market, and now Marchionne’s comments suggests FCA is next. 'The disengagement is happening,' he said. 'Since dieselgate, the share of diesel sales has reduced month by month. There’s no point denying that, and it’s clear that the cost of making diesel reach the new standards is going to become prohibitive.'

His comments don’t come as a real surprise, especially since Marchionne is one of the more blunt CEOs out there. One could argue that other automakers are thinking the same, but are just afraid to say it.
Read more about the FCA Boss Thinks Diesel is Dead at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I concur with Jeremy Clarkson, “Diesel is the blood of the devil”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,673 Posts

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I can see that for passenger vehicles and CUV / SUV segments.

Low gasoline prices, the higher price of diesel #2 (often .20 higher) plus the higher option cost of diesel engines has diminished the appeal of diesel passenger cars.

VW used to sell a higher percentage of diesel passenger cars - but since the emissions cheating came along - the market is pretty much gone away.

For heavy GVWR pickups (Ram 2500, 3500, etc) diesel power is the choice for towing or for the commercial chassis trucks over gasoline, since the torque and MPG of diesel power is more advantageous.

The CO2 emissions are another matter that diesel won't meet proposed future emission standards. If demand is slowing down by consumers, then little incentive for makers to expend more development on future diesel applications in passenger vehicles then.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Diesels have relatively low CO2 emissions compared to an equivalent gas engine. The "issue" with some people is that they put out more NOX emissions, which stays localized around high traffic areas for a while and is blamed for respiratory problems. That's along with soot and particulate matter which is all very well controlled on modern diesels. The truth is, none of that is a real problem unless you live in horribly overpopulated busy cities in Europe, where older diesels are idling everywhere alongside high foot traffic. If you concentrate so much of one thing in one area, of course there is going to be too much of it. In North America, we don't really see that.

Of course, perception plays the biggest role. People think all diesels are nasty because of the VW thing, so sales hurt overall.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I come from the old school, trucks are suppose to be work horses, not pretty candy ass "don't scratch my bed" rig.

Before my last truck I had a 66 Ford Custom cab, rubber floor mat, manual trans, manual windows, no ac and manual steering. Called her Louis, great truck. Bought her used for $1100.00, drove 110,000 miles over 10 years as a daily driver, sold $1400.00.

I replaced her with a new model year 2000 2500 Cummins Quad Cab. Manual windows, rubber floor mats and manual trans with limited slip. What a workhorse, first weekend I figured I'd get over the newness and took it out on the Black Rock playa, for the dust, drove up some trails and for some Nevada pin stripping from sage brush :)

Next weekend loaded the bed with firewood, got the dings/scratches out of the way.

She is going on 18 years old and me at 63 this should easily be my last truck. Other than couple minor issues, the body/chassis/drive train is stought.

Now I just want the paint to get more weathered and get that old age patina going. I'll have a rig to cherrish.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, diesels are hard to beat for hauling heavy loads long distances. I've towed my 10,000 lbs boat and trailer up and down Donner Summit for 13 years now. Never a heat issue or hicup - just tugs the load up the hill without breaking a sweat.

:guiness::guiness::guiness::guiness:

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
At least in the passenger car segment, EVs, primarily Teslas, will be making huge gains over the next 10 years, further decimating any benefits diesel may have had over gasoline engines.

Having said that, there will still be markets better suited to diesels, like heavy hauling and towing.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
diesel only really makes sense in the states for large trucks that need the power and torque. In their current concept for cars and 1/2 ton trucks(ecodiesel and now ford has one) when you crunch and run the numbers it really doesn't do much for you. If you look at the 1/2 application dodge has one and ford will soon, but when you look at power torque is pretty good but not miles ahead of gas engines, and the towing capacity is less of other platforms in the same line up. While MPG looks good at the onset when you figure the average vs the high, and the fact diesel cost more in most places and then combine it with the fact the engines cost 3-4k more, you really buying a diesel to buy a diesel, as with the trucks that have them in half tons your essentially buying a diesel engine that cost more to buy, cost more to run and maintain and gives you less capabilities. As for car when you put them against comparable cars in size that have gas engines there really is no real advantage, plenty of smaller cars getting in the 30-40mpg range that run on gas that again are cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and maintain.

I think so many people want diesel to work just because it diesel, its different, smells, blows smoke, loud etc, kind of like looking at a carnival ride. Not saying diesel is bad Ive had 3 of them in trucks. I just think gas engines all around are more logical choice for most needs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
This is coming from an auto executive who thought Fiat was a viable auto company in North America, who thought Alfa Romeo was the next great auto marque, and who spent more time trying to part out the North American operations for sale to anyone - all in order to support the European market.

Jeep and Dodge truck [I refuse to call it R-m] are getting ripped off to subsidize the existence of the 500 line and the Giulia/Stelvio experiments.

Marchionne is hardly the Alan Mullaly of FCA.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
This is coming from an auto executive who thought Fiat was a viable auto company in North America, who thought Alfa Romeo was the next great auto marque, and who spent more time trying to part out the North American operations for sale to anyone - all in order to support the European market.

Jeep and Dodge truck [I refuse to call it R-m] are getting ripped off to subsidize the existence of the 500 line and the Giulia/Stelvio experiments.

Marchionne is hardly the Alan Mullaly of FCA.
Then maybe what you need in your life is a Ford.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Fake news...

Diesel is cheaper than premium and on par with mid grade and they get better mileage as diesel by volume has more potential energy than gasoline. It can be as clean or cleaner than gasoline with uria injection systems as my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel and my 2018 Ram 2500 Limited Cummins.

VW did not want to include this technology to cut cost and proceeded to cheat and in the process creating this false narrative.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
For those not familiar with urea (injection system). It's concentrated cow/pig urine...same stuff we use in the steel industry to "pickle" (etch) the surface of steel so that coatings will adhere. In short....it's friggin' acid. So to reduce the emissions of this foul fuel, you have a 5-8 gallon tank of concentrated, highly acidic farm-animal waste on-board which is injected into the exhaust, and that's supposed to be an improvement. Can't imagine there's be any corrosion issues here........or even worse smelling emissions.....Frankly, I rather see them all switch to biodiesel and run off of old french-fry grease. Following one of these diesels just makes you hungry.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Oh lovely...

Does it smell of burnt piss?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The raw fluid smells like a dairy barn. I've never burned cow piss in a diesel exhaust (who the hell thinks of such things), but I can't imagine it's going to smell like a bouquet of roses.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can someone summarize this diesel thing? I understand cheating, breaking the law, bad VW. That was wrong. With that out of the way, what was the real deal?

Did it polute more than they advertise? Was it still fuel effeicient? They still get the MPG? So it's like a burger that advertise 1,000 calories, but it's really 1,600 calories? But still taste great, and fills you up? They measure the calories without the cheese and the sauce. But it's really a cheese burger so they cheated and lied to the public.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,673 Posts
It was actually quite involved. They wrote software that sensed when the car was being tested. They then turned emissions equipment back on, such as diesel equivalent of catalytic converters and EGR valves and such. These systems were then turned off during normal driving, apparently for better gas mileage, or torque, etc. In "normal" mode, they were gross polluters. Some 40 times certain greenhouse gases. It was alleged that Mercedes did the same thing, but I never saw any big follow up on that. A Guy

·
Registered
889 Posts
In "normal" mode, they were gross polluters. Some 40 times certain greenhouse gases. It was alleged that Mercedes did the same thing, but I never saw any big follow up on that. A Guy
Thanks, that's serious stuff (and it's not about just being green.) I guess that make sense, when you see "dark" exhaust, there is no way it can be clean as regular gas. There is a term for that, that I can't think of. Sort of like common sense.

I did want a Golf TDI, and actually test drove a 2010 Jetta TDI (new). I didn't buy it but I did want it as a daily driver. That is really too bad it can't be clean.

Now it makes sense. Sometimes we wonder why can manufactures don't make diesel engines (for MPG). It's because they know it "can't be done" cleanly. And probably knew VW was cheating.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts