Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping a representative from DodgeCares or Steve White Motors can provide some clarity to those of us in the same situation. I have a 2014 Challenger R/T (California delivered and purchased) with a MOPAR Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM, of which I purchased through Steve White Motors and had installed (and recorded in the vehicle’s record) at a local Dodge dealer service department.

I recently received notification of the FCA V51 recall (PCM reprogram for CA-only vehicles). Please confirm if this recall extends to the Scat Pack Stage PCMs. If not, how is this recall to be executed/closed for those of us with an installed Scat Pack Stage 1/2/3 PCM?

I imagine the recall notification is mass-distributed by VIN regardless of installed MOPAR Performance parts and will be similar to the situation discussed in the 2014-2018 Stage 1 PCM / 2017-2018 Demon Crate PCM recall thread. If similar (for original PCM/calibration, N/A for Scat Pack Stage PCMs), is there a way to annotate the vehicle’s record and close out the recall without having to go through the whole process of visiting the Dodge service department, swapping in the original PCM, reprogramming, and then re-installing the Scat Pack Stage PCM purely to close out the recall associated with the VIN?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,564 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Hoping a representative from DodgeCares or Steve White Motors can provide some clarity to those of us in the same situation. I have a 2014 Challenger R/T (California delivered and purchased) with a MOPAR Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM, of which I purchased through Steve White Motors and had installed (and recorded in the vehicle’s record) at a local Dodge dealer service department.

I recently received notification of the FCA V51 recall (PCM reprogram for CA-only vehicles). Please confirm if this recall extends to the Scat Pack Stage PCMs. If not, how is this recall to be executed/closed for those of us with an installed Scat Pack Stage 1/2/3 PCM?

I imagine the recall notification is mass-distributed by VIN regardless of installed MOPAR Performance parts and will be similar to the situation discussed in the 2014-2018 Stage 1 PCM / 2017-2018 Demon Crate PCM recall thread. If similar (for original PCM/calibration, N/A for Scat Pack Stage PCMs), is there a way to annotate the vehicle’s record and close out the recall without having to go through the whole process of visiting the Dodge service department, swapping in the original PCM, reprogramming, and then re-installing the Scat Pack Stage PCM purely to close out the recall associated with the VIN?
Hi! We are happy to look into this for you. Can you send us your VIN in a PM?

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
So switching to a Scat Pack 1 stores a permanent fault code???
Even though I live in Ohio and do not have emissions things to worry about, I am beginning to wish I would have just bought an unlocked PCM and waited until the warranty was up to swap it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,564 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the Stage 1 PCM Frank. In fact, that's what the OP is trying to determine. I think it is a general TSB, and therefore may not affect the Stage 1 at all. There isn't much info online

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi! We are happy to look into this for you. Can you send us your VIN in a PM?

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares
PM sent. Thank you!

So switching to a Scat Pack 1 stores a permanent fault code???
Even though I live in Ohio and do not have emissions things to worry about, I am beginning to wish I would have just bought an unlocked PCM and waited until the warranty was up to swap it.
No, the verbiage and scope of the recall leads me to believe it’s limited to the vehicle’s original PCM (Stage 1 PCMs did not receive a specific CA market tune). The question at hand is does this recall extend to the Scat Pack Stage 1/2/3 PCMs, and if not, how does the owner clear the VIN-associated recall for a PCM no longer installed in the vehicle.

FYI, the Stage 1/2/3 PCMs do not void the vehicle’s warranty. Stage 1 is 50-state legal. Stages 2/3 are for “off road use only”.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Stage 1 PCM Frank. In fact, that's what the OP is trying to determine. I think it is a general TSB, and therefore may not affect the Stage 1 at all. There isn't much info online

A Guy
Nailed it!

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
495 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No updates at the moment. FCA recently released the V51 Customer Satisfaction Notification containing further information (attached below). Will take the car to the dealer in the next couple weeks with the original PCM if needed to close out the repair. I'll report back with the process/resolution for those in the same situation.

Attachments

Reactions: Competition!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:

V51 Customer Satisfaction Notification completed. The validation/completion process required merely a few minutes. Bottom line--The Mopar Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM does not exhibit the concern outlined in the CSN, and did not require a PCM flash/reprogram or installation of the original PCM to complete. Was in and out of the service department in under 30 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,564 Posts
So they just validated so it would show as done, but did nothing?

A Guy

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So they just validated so it would show as done, but did nothing?

A Guy
For my specific case, no corrective action was required (Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM did not exhibit the concern outlined in the CSN).

The V51 CSN is specific to California, where the bi-annual smog inspection requires a scan of the PCM for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). The presence of a DTC within the PCM register (even without a MIL/check engine light) could result in a failed emissions test. Completion of the CSN is required to complete the initial/annual registration.

The process involves scanning the PCM to detect if stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) remain within the PCM memory after the condition is corrected and the fault erased. If such a condition is discovered, the PCM is reprogrammed. If the condition does not exist, no action is required and the V51 CSN associated with the vehicle is closed out. Upon completion, the customer is issued a Proof of Correction certificate for DMV record at the next registration renewal.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger sxt
74 Posts
Should I be worried about this. I have a customer tune and honestly dont think I need this done. Everything is working great in my Challenger . No codes stored. Just wanting to hear what advise do you suggest. Is this a mandatory thing. Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon.. Best regards snd wishes.....John..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts