Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXT Plus AWD
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know if I would call this a problem but being that this is my first Challenger not sure if it's normal. Car is more broken in now with 3000 miles on it and lately been feeling and hearing more road noise. It's an SXT AWD and with the cold temps it's always in AWD now so maybe that changed the dynamics of the ride feel with sub freezing temps?

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
254 Posts
I think you hit it. The cold/really cold temps surly effect the cars stiffness and ride noise. I've noticed this on numerous vehicles I've owned over the years. Seems to bring out the creeks and rattles worse than The Titanic (not the Challenger.) Not sure where you are but here in N.E., we've had some days in the teens and 20's which make my Challenger seem stiffer. B-

·
Registered
2019 SXT Plus AWD
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in NJ and it's been low 30's most mornings. Seems all of a sudden but does seem to also coincide with the temps changing. Will have to monitor it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Replied to a similar (maybe the same? ) post on another forum. I pointed out the rubber bushings (and weather stripping, etc.) get firmer in cold weather and transmit noise and vibration more effectively.

Likewise tires get stiffer and generate more noise.

But someone also mentioned the speed of sound slows down as the temperature goes down.

This is certainly the case:

358.0 m/s at 45C
343.6 m/s at 21C
330.4 m/s at -1C

And the slower speed of sound accounts for (his claim and it may be right) the increase in noise when cold.

Regardless of which affects the noise the colder it is the noisier the car will be. I've experienced this time after time with a cold car (and with of course the air temperature cold as well) in the AM vs. the same car at noon or later after being in the sun. The car gets nice and warm, and from being in direct sunlight warmer than it would be from just the warmer air. The increase in noise from the cold car vs. the warm car is quite dramatic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts