Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like the 6.1 section on this forum and others are now dead. I guess most have moved on the 392's and upcoming motors. Just feeling a little sad. When I first started playing on the SRT8 forums there was like 6-12 new threads every day. Now when I check there might be one or two old threads that had postings on them.:11:

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep...I noticed that...

I feel like the 6.1 section on this forum and others are now dead. I guess most have moved on the 392's and upcoming motors. Just feeling a little sad. When I first started playing on the SRT8 forums there was like 6-12 new threads every day. Now when I check there might be one or two old threads that had postings on them.:11:
The 6.1s bubba's have had a rough go here lately. It seems that whenever a comparo debate occurs between 5.7s and 6.4s...as soon as a 6.1 bubba enters the debate....

he gets attacked from both sides. The 5.7 bubba's seem to claim that their RTs are "almost/just as fast." NOT. Many 392 guys here, used to have 6.1s. Most of these guys do not belittle the 6.1.

Who care's? You have a [email protected] Car. Enjoy!!!

Reactions: ESOLO

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Knowing what I know now after going down into the dark rabbit hole of mods I wish I had started off with a 6.1. I've found a B5 blue M6 2009 for 27k with 46k miles and am trying to figure out how to get the wife to let me trade my R/T for it after spending nearly 15k on upgrades to my R/T lol! Edelbrock told me it would cost about 1k to get the parts to make my 5.7 E-Force kit work on a 6.1.

So I guess what I'm saying is enjoy your ride guys. At least this 5.7 guy is wishing he started off with a 6.1.

Reactions: Tremel22

·
Registered
627 Posts
I love my car it ain't going nowhere but I'm not gonna lie I did think it woulda been faster then it is I do plan on putting a supercharger on in it in a year or so

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have thought about the SC route myself many times. I know so many have nice longevity and power gains with the 6.1 on boost. Im pretty sure I would be that 1% that failed. LOL. It just how I roll.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm with jaelliot I too wish I would have started with the 6.1 you guys don't have to worry about all this VVT crap and timing chains breaking. But just like jaelliot I have spent an ass amount of money in my RT trying to get it to 6.1L HP N/A hell my motor even looks like an 6.1L with the ported intake on there. But I say that to say this I think the 6.1's are badass and if I could some how convert all my mods from my 5.7 to a 6.1 without dropping a dime to do it I would. Long live the 6.1

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think the 6.1 will be legendary

Reactions: SecretCajunMann

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought my 2010 SRT in Texas and drove it back to North Dakota... Not one person came up and said you will regret that 6.1 or oh u bought the slow SRT year challengers... The money I saved on the buying the 6.1 over 6.4 will easily make her as fast as I need... 2010 srt with 30,000 on it mint 1 owner for 25,000

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
I love my 6.1. It has plenty of power for me.

I think a good comparison between the 6.1 and 6.4 is the old 440 and 426 engines. The 440 was a great motor (especially the 6-pack version) but it was never as "sexy" as the 426 Hemi.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I love my 6.1. It has plenty of power for me.

I think a good comparison between the 6.1 and 6.4 is the old 440 and 426 engines. The 440 was a great motor (especially the 6-pack version) but it was never as "sexy" as the 426 Hemi.
Exactly

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an '08 and it's at 52k. Still love the car, but I have a truck itch again. The wife says no to selling it, I want practicality again.

I think I might just buckle down, save some money and put it towards a truck and go with 3 cars in the house, or 4 if the wife gets what she wants. Army doesn't pay enough :D .

I don't feel disenfranchised by any group here. I do see what you guys say about the divide and the forgotten platform. Money equals speed. You have it, well, you have it. My intent for the car if I keep it is to rebuild, waste money on swapping it over to a manual 426 (lots of work from what I can see + money).

It would be nice to have a 2008, manual, 426. I'm sure there are some out there, I just haven't found it. I've got 4 years until my 20 year retirement eligibility, and I think I need to at least keep it for projects. There is a lot of potential to make it a stroked motor, or pull it and buy a spec built 426.

This thing is like a horse. Unless you get work out of it, race it or make money some other way, then it's a money pit. You just have to accept it. I got the itch last month to sell it, take the profit and buy a Core 392. I just can't make up my minds......

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an '08 and it's at 52k. Still love the car, but I have a truck itch again. The wife says no to selling it, I want practicality again.

I think I might just buckle down, save some money and put it towards a truck and go with 3 cars in the house, or 4 if the wife gets what she wants. Army doesn't pay enough :D .

I don't feel disenfranchised by any group here. I do see what you guys say about the divide and the forgotten platform. Money equals speed. You have it, well, you have it. My intent for the car if I keep it is to rebuild, waste money on swapping it over to a manual 426 (lots of work from what I can see + money).

It would be nice to have a 2008, manual, 426. I'm sure there are some out there, I just haven't found it. I've got 4 years until my 20 year retirement eligibility, and I think I need to at least keep it for projects. There is a lot of potential to make it a stroked motor, or pull it and buy a spec built 426.

This thing is like a horse. Unless you get work out of it, race it or make money some other way, then it's a money pit. You just have to accept it. I got the itch last month to sell it, take the profit and buy a Core 392. I just can't make up my minds......
I thought about the same thing but for a Hellcat. That went out the window a few months ago. Wife and I are now having twin boys. I went ahead and bought a 2014 Durango Limited AWD for the baby mobile. I still have the Challenger for it was never a daily driver. It has 4k miles on it. Lately roads have been covered in salt so no miles ave been added in months.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Congrats on the twins bro I got a lot of buddy's who got nice rides and don't drive them they wanna keep it low miles that's not me I got mine to drive it and i
Rip and tear it that's why I got it to have fun not tuck it away but that's me

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm almost in the same boat....halfway at least. The wife is 5 days short of the due date for our first. I might just keep it, since it's a boy. Maintain, rebuild and hand if off when he's responsible enough.

She drives a Mazda 6. Once it's paid off, we'll be saving for a new car for her and that will become my daily driver. 52k isn't bad for a 2008. It's just getting into fun territory for maintenance and parts. I'm not certain, but I think my passenger cat is going bad. I am lifting it today to recheck the seating on the cats and checking for leaks. Empty the catch can, run a fuel system cleaner, wipe out the throttle body and check O2 sensors. I had Magnaflow High Flows on there. I always get the CEL with those, but it's throwing the same codes now on Bank 2 sensor 1 and 2. P0420/430. Things get interesting when you get the modding bug. Mine are minor.....very minor. I can't imagine what the hell it will do when I get crazy.

I've got a good friend that is running a twin turbo setup on his 350Z. He's swapped a heavily modified 6.6L LS2 motor (bore and stroke) into it on top of turbos. It runs well when it runs. It just requires constant attention because when it gets a little off, it just doesn't run well. He has videos on the channel my burnout videos are on in my sig. The thing is just ridiculous. That is what got me into my car.

Congrats on the twins. If I get stationed in the NoVa/DC area again, it'd be nice to do some events again. I might see some of you at Moparpalooza in May if I can manage time off from work.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,028 Posts
Sometimes you just have to generate your own threads of interest, just like you did here. There are still lots of 6.1 guys out there modding/racing, showing their cars and hanging out on these forums, you just need someone to get the ball rolling every now and again.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Yep, we're still around. Part of it might be that we've had them long enough to build them just the way we like them so there aren't as many here looking for technical advice or validation. Even though I appreciate the 392s I am content with mine just the way it is. The suspension is tweaked right where I want it, I love the way it looks, it sounds great, it is very reliable, it's comfortable, it's fun to drive and the extra grunt from the Vortech lets me play with the big boys. The 6.1 is a great platform for what I want out of a car. Just hit 45K, 15K with a supercharger. No regrets and no 392 envy here.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Coming from somebody who owned a 6.1 and now a 6.4, both are great but I would prefer to have some more 6.1 influence adapted into the 6.4. I'm not saying the 5.7 is bad or inferior platform. Personally, MDS IMHO has no place on a 6.4 with an auto trans. But, I do understand why it was done and it is what it is....6.4 VVT?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts