Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to turn into my garage, but a car was coming from the other direction so I decided to reverse park into my garage. There was some stuff behind my car so I didn't want to back in too much. I didn't gauge the space enough and when I closed my garage it closed onto my car. My fault and stupidity I should have been more careful.

Fortunately I have clear bra on the car, unfortunately I think it still cut into the paint, but could have been worse.

Any advice?

a few options on the top of my head would be:

1. Maybe have my clear bra professional use the touch up paint I got from the dealership a few years ago and then clear bra over it again. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable with the clear bra over it. I already have some scratches underneath my clear bra from the past and in some areas without. I think the yellow highlight area is all I need fortunately it looks cut and separated that way instead of one large piece.

2. Put a tiny sticker over it and call it a day. Ideally a black one to blend in. But I think it might look a bit tacky?

3. Put racing strips over it since it kind of is in the center. Do you guys have any suggestions? Problem is I already have the 2017 scatpack vinyl that came with the car on the rear quarter panel? so racing stripes in the center all the way to the trunk wouldn't really work?

4. Replace the bumper and clear bra, that would be the most expensive.

5. Have a professional touch up that area and then clear bra over it. Not sure if they have to repaint a whole bunch of area. I already got clear bra all over the front so I don't think that's the best option if they need to blend in a whole big area.

I'm sort of leaning on option 1. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_2282.JPG
Film Area.png

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is with a sticker basically a blue masking tape. Like nothing even happened and not costing a couple hundred for my dumb action today

IMG_2284.JPG

·
Registered
735 Posts
You could visit different dealers and find the scratch touch up guy. Most dealers use them. They remove dings and touch up scratches in paint. Not sure on what one would charge you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have it touched up professionally. You know it will bug you otherwise. I can't see it costing too much.
So with getting touched up professionally they wouldn't use my touch up kit but pretty much paint all over the yellow highlighted section where the section of the removed clear bra would have been? Basically they match the paint with a code?

·
Registered
735 Posts
So with getting touched up professionally they wouldn't use my touch up kit but pretty much paint all over the yellow highlighted section where the section of the removed clear bra would have been? Basically they match the paint with a code?
Like i posted earlier. Go to different car dealers and find out who there touch up guy is and contact him. They use independent guys who specialize in fixing issues like yours. They are mobil and work out of their truck/van. They fix dealers dents and scratches without having to paint whole cars. They will fix yours and you couldnt tell it was damaged. They match the paint and blend it so it will look original. Just need to ask at the dealers who they use or look around in the back of dealers. They are not associated with any dealer and are their own company. Like this guy

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
Most likely they will air brush it and it will blend right in. You can then clear bra it again after whatever wait time he says.
Probably all of us have done something to a vehicle we feel foolish about, so let it go as it’s already done. Fix it and get it behind you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely they will air brush it and it will blend right in. You can then clear bra it again after whatever wait time he says.
Probably all of us have done something to a vehicle we feel foolish about, so let it go as it’s already done. Fix it and get it behind you.
Thanks that's a good outlook to have, I gotta learn to let things go

I think this is gonna cost me a total of $550. Not sure if comprehensive insurance would cover my clear bra, my deductible is $100.

$350 for the repair paint/clearcoat
and $150 for the clearbra re-install and $50 tip

So I met and spoke with the person that has been helping me with clear bra installation, I was trying to brain storm ideas.

Not sure what you guys think.

One option would be to do a matte vinyl over the scratch like duo racing stripes, but there may still be a small noticeable dip or crevasse from where the scratch was. I'll probably need to remove the rear racing stripes not sure I think having both stripes would look good.

My clear bra guy says he could help me apply the touch up paint lightly a few times and then clear bra over it if I want to save some money. That would be $150 plus tip

A lot of guys i've contacted on yelp suggested I get that section repainted over just a touch up. They may be somewhat biased as that's their job. Regardless they said that with new paint there maybe a possibility of paint coming off if I one day remove the film again that's the con.

basically I think i'm down to 3 realistic options

1. put a sticker over it maybe a black masking tape and forget it, kinda weird but saving $500
2. have the clear bra installer help me touch up the scratch and then clear bra over it
3. have the section of the bumper repainted and wait 15 days and then put the clear bra over it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ventshade 322140

These look fairly flush but cant find a photo on one anywhere. Would remove/ditch the clear bra first so the 3m tape would adhere best. Surprised they make one for the Challenger.

Turn into homeowners insurance if you have, your house hit your car!

For Challenger

This is just for general installation view.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ventshade 322140

These look fairly flush but cant find a photo on one anywhere. Would remove/ditch the clear bra first so the 3m tape would adhere best. Surprised they make one for the Challenger.

Turn into homeowners insurance if you have, your house hit your car!

For Challenger

This is just for general installation view.
Interesting I wonder how it would look on a Challenger that could be used in place of my masking tape. Not really sure what the point of this product is. How would it protect the hood? It seems like it just protects the section it covers?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

View attachment 999988
I think this is what it looks like on a Challenger. There is some stick-on thing pictured on their fender flare page i'm assuming that's how it should look

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.56.56 PM.png

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found a photo, not sure but suspect this is the View attachment 999990 AVS aeroshade
Yeah I think so. Not sure what I think, is it suppose to be functional? What's it for? For the mechanics to not scratch you car when they lean against the front of the car while servicing? Also I'm not sure if it will hold up well with 3M on the freeway and with washing. There's some surface area but it's long and skinny

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
95 Posts
As great as 3m tape is I am with you, seams to come off at some point no mater what (although primer 94 first can help). Sometimes simplest is best, small dodge decal or other

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
Thanks that's a good outlook to have, I gotta learn to let things go

I think this is gonna cost me a total of $550. Not sure if comprehensive insurance would cover my clear bra, my deductible is $100.

$350 for the repair paint/clearcoat
and $150 for the clearbra re-install and $50 tip

So I met and spoke with the person that has been helping me with clear bra installation, I was trying to brain storm ideas.

Not sure what you guys think.

One option would be to do a matte vinyl over the scratch like duo racing stripes, but there may still be a small noticeable dip or crevasse from where the scratch was. I'll probably need to remove the rear racing stripes not sure I think having both stripes would look good.

My clear bra guy says he could help me apply the touch up paint lightly a few times and then clear bra over it if I want to save some money. That would be $150 plus tip

A lot of guys i've contacted on yelp suggested I get that section repainted over just a touch up. They may be somewhat biased as that's their job. Regardless they said that with new paint there maybe a possibility of paint coming off if I one day remove the film again that's the con.

basically I think i'm down to 3 realistic options

1. put a sticker over it maybe a black masking tape and forget it, kinda weird but saving $500
2. have the clear bra installer help me touch up the scratch and then clear bra over it
3. have the section of the bumper repainted and wait 15 days and then put the clear bra over it
Any decal applied over the engraved section will telegraph that blemish right through it.

Reactions: INK

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any decal applied over the engraved section will telegraph that blemish right through it.
Do you think I should just take the L and pay the $350 for the paint job? if i'm going to remove the clear bra and reinstall it I'm not sure how well it will look with touch up over the scratch. I think it's really just one scratch on the left, the other two vertical scratches might have mostly got only the clear bra.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
702 Posts
Looking at first picture it appears that the clear bra absorbed most of the impact, clear coat appears to be scratched. I think there is a possibility that after removal of clear bra paint can be corrected then reinstall clear bra. It's the easiest solution, check it out before moving to more extensive, expensive solutions.

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
613 Posts
Don't do a sticker. Any stripes will look off with that deep scratch.

Reactions: Frank Julian
1 - 20 of 67 Posts