Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
900 for a bumper seems steep but like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for"
yeah not sure if it’s California prices

He said :

I understand, I adjusted the rates a little more so the best we can do is $900. the system gives us the amount of hours required to overhaul the bumper and all we adjust is the labor rates per hour + time required for repair. Every shop is different, we guarantee the best possible work for the price.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I spoke to the guy at the bodyshop, he told me he used their top guy for the colorsand not a new guy. Taping around the area wouldn't help as it needs to be level, probably especially with how thick the paint was on the car. He had to colorsand by hand and it took sometime. He also mentioned that when they paint these cars at the plant they use minimum amount of clear so they're pretty fragile from the factory, coupled with the bad paint touch up job that's what caused the 3 spots. To give them credit, I gave them something pretty difficult to work with. Bad paint that had a lot of layers added on top of it so it was pretty hard and rough. I'm sure if I had new paint it would be a very different. He said it's a moot point as painting would be needed anyways because of the bad paint I layered on. I'm not sure if it would have turned out better elsewhere and most places wouldn't try to colorsand alone. It was worth a shot. Maybe before and after pictures don't give the full story. They're paint experts, he mentioned they may know a lot more than say someone that mainly does clear bar or may not paint cars for a living. It wasn't picked up right away that the paint was bad and could be an issue when the overly thickness of the paint was first noticed and applied for me initially. I'm a little more confident with their clarification

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
I spoke to the guy at the bodyshop, he told me he used their top guy for the colorsand not a new guy. Taping around the area wouldn't help as it needs to be level, probably especially with how thick the paint was on the car. He had to colorsand by hand and it took sometime. He also mentioned that when they paint these cars at the plant they use minimum amount of clear so they're pretty fragile from the factory, coupled with the bad paint touch up job that's what caused the 3 spots. To give them credit, I gave them something pretty difficult to work with. Bad paint that had a lot of layers added on top of it so it was pretty hard and rough. I'm sure if I had new paint it would be a very different. He said it's a moot point as painting would be needed anyways because of the bad paint I layered on. I'm not sure if it would have turned out better elsewhere and most places wouldn't try to colorsand alone. It was worth a shot. Maybe before and after pictures don't give the full story. They're paint experts, he mentioned they may know a lot more than say someone that mainly does clear bar or may not paint cars for a living. It wasn't picked up right away that the paint was bad and could be an issue when the overly thickness of the paint was first noticed and applied for me initially. I'm a little more confident with their clarification
What matters to you is whats important, it’s your car and your money. Now on to getting it repaired and some after the repair pictures where you’re all smiling and happy.

Reactions: SRT8outtaLA

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Finally brought the car into the shop. It will take 3 days, hopefully get it back no later than Friday. Looks like they park the cars in the parking lot during the day and bring the car in at night.

Are there any one time use clips for the front bumper that I may need to let the bodyshop know about so they could order ahead of time? Apparently they won't know until the tech removes it.

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
My guess is a good shop has a large supply of them and if not can access them within a day.

Reactions: Srtpunisher

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The bodyshop said they had to replace 2 fog light bezels they brought or something like they are one time use or something. Will cost me $23 each extra and they will give me back the old part. He did mention I would be charged extra for any clips or one time use that they have to replace and order. Does that sound reasonable?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts