Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had a nail in it and I was waiting for black friday to replace all 4 tires because it already has about 31,000 miles. I thought it was 35,000, don't know if the dead battery made things funky. So I didn't drive my car for a month or so I just drove my mom's. She had a stroke so I have been staying with her and taking her car. I was going to run my car to make sure the battery is okay today but it so happens that today it died.

So I have my trunk full of stuff. To get to the battery I have to access the trunk.

Now when the battery dies you can't close your door because the window doesn't go down without battery and will prevent it from closing. I can't adjust my driver's side seat because the power is dead. I had to unlock the door manually then unlock the passenger side with my fingers and then pop open the back seat release pull out all my stuff then crawl in to the emergency latch. Then remove my Husky trunk mat and then finally get to the battery.

I hope it isn't bad for my car. I used Chrysler's service for a jump start service. The guy used a portable battery to jump it but it failed twice. then he used his car and it seemed to have juiced a lot of his battery, but after 2 minutes I started my car. I've left it running for about 40 minutes. How much longer should I have it run?

I was going to drive it around but it still has the nail. I ordered the Continental tires for black Friday it's coming in Monday and i'll probably make an appointment later in the week to have it installed. i got it at discount tires as recommended by some of you guys, it's called America's tire where i'm at.

I'll probably not let my car sit for this long again. Is having a dead battery bad. I haven't turned off my car but my alarm system seems to not be working, gotta see if everything else is fine after I stop the car and start it again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest that you purchase a Battery Tender or similar type of maintenance charger & charge your battery using the connections in the engine compartment. Battery Tenders are available at most auto parts stores, Walmart, etc.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
often times by the time the batt totally dies, its too late and the batt will either not hold a charge any longer or cannot be brought back up to proper voltage. This can play havoc with electrical systems and things like the alarm, trans,etc will act funky.
Its probably time to simply replace it. if you continue to have issues, then its certainly due.
grab a batt tender while your at it. good luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! I just checked my tire pressure the one with the nail has 7psi after a month or two, maybe a month so maybe it was a slow leak. I know I have a tire service kit. Should I just drive to a nearest gas station and fill my tires up or should I just drive straight to my appointment , it's 11 miles or 4.4 miles away. I'm guessing it's better to at least fill it up with air.

have any of you guys used the tire service kit?

It has a sealant and then it fills the tires up with air. Since I'm going to replace the tires anyways is it bad to use the sealant? When I replace the tires there won't be any sealant remnants right since I think each new tire has it's own stem with the tires?

For some reason now when I lock my car ( I have a VIper alarm system it chirps once and then another time a second later. it's only suppose to chirp once, twice (quick successions for unlock) weird

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! I just checked my tire pressure the one with the nail has 7psi after a month or two, maybe a month so maybe it was a slow leak. I know I have a tire service kit. Should I just drive to a nearest gas station and fill my tires up or should I just drive straight to my appointment , it's 11 miles or 4.4 miles away. I'm guessing it's better to at least fill it up with air.

have any of you guys used the tire service kit?

It has a sealant and then it fills the tires up with air. Since I'm going to replace the tires anyways is it bad to use the sealant? When I replace the tires there won't be any sealant remnants right since I think each new tire has it's own stem with the tires?

For some reason now when I lock my car ( I have a VIper alarm system it chirps once and then another time a second later. it's only suppose to chirp once, twice (quick successions for unlock) weird
this is the video I watched

and are you guys talking about this?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
like I said, if batt volt level is off, it will make things screwy. if its really off, it can put the car into limp mode. correcting that would be my 1st order of business.
as for the tire issue, if its holding close enough to full psi (25-32psi) enough to drive safely on it , id say you're ok to simply drive to the tire shop. leave the nail in. if it leaks down rapidly after filling it up & taking a short test roll around on it, however, you'll have no choice but to either pull the wheel and get that tire replaced off the car before driving the car, or use the tire kit, which I would not do unless stuck on the side of the road with no other options. They often dont work and the sealant makes a mess for the tire shop.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
like I said, if batt volt level is off, it will make things screwy. if its really off, it can put the car into limp mode. correcting that would be my 1st order of business.
as for the tire issue, if its holding close enough to full psi (25-32psi) enough to drive safely on it , id say you're ok to simply drive to the tire shop. leave the nail in. if it leaks down rapidly after filling it up & taking a short test roll around on it, however, you'll have no choice but to either pull the wheel and get that tire replaced off the car before driving the car, or use the tire kit, which I would not do unless stuck on the side of the road with no other options. They often dont work and the sealant makes a mess for the tire shop.
when is the normal time frame to replace the battery? My car is at 31,000 miles. I have a lot of electronics dashcam hardwired, 2 batteries hardwired, and radar detector hardwired. I'm not sure how they hardwired it but whoever replaces the battery will they have to attach all the stuff that's attached to the battery or are they attached somewhere else like where all the circuit chips/breaker things are at?

and do you guys have any recommendations for new batteries? I heard something about lithium batteries on the forum but they were sized a bit big or something. should i just get it replaced from Dodge, i'm not sure how to check the voltage.

I think i'll run the car on idle for a bit longer, maybe it will restore things. I wish I could drive it for a hour or so but the nail, just irresponsbiity and bad luck

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yes, you have alot connected. some of that may pull a small amount of power all of the time (example would be a dash cam with park mode) another source for drain when the car is off, are the proximity keys, they constantly talk to the car, even when the car is off, if they are within range.
Go to long without driving and not running a batt tender, and they alone can drain the battery down to a no-start condition.
If you are in fact on the oem battery, its probably well past time to replace it. Running the car to allow the alt to charge it, may not work if the batt itself is gone. Also, it takes above 2500rpm for the alt to actually start charging, so idle speeds wont cut it.
I got my last batt for my R/T from batteries plus, I think it ran around $140 plus core, so they are not cheap. You might do better someplace else. dealer will have them, expect around $200 if memory serves me correct.
Once/if you get a full batt up to level, you will need to pull both batt cables off, wait a min or two and then reinstall them, in order to reset the electronics, especially true if they experienced a low volt cond.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why didn't you jump it in the engine compartment? That's where I hook up my battery tender. The owners manual should show where to hook up the cables.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why didn't you jump it in the engine compartment? That's where I hook up my battery tender. The owners manual should show where to hook up the cables.
hmm I thought you could only do that in the trunk. I was watching videos on youtube and it looked like they were all trying to access the trunk.

btw I thinking of maybe using the tire service kit and not using the sealant. there is a switch to just air. would it somehow shoot a little sealant in even though I just want to top of the tires with air before I drive. It has the same tube for both air and sealant, not sure how one will trigger air and one will trigger the sealant to come out. I don't know if it's safe to drive to the gas station with 7 psi tires but i also don't want to tow my car to the tire shop either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would air up the tire and drive the car to the tire shop if the leak is a slow one. If you do use the sealant, make sure you tell the tire installer that you used the sealant. Some of these tire sealants are flammable & an accidental spark can cause a fireball.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
Yeah, if you can just pump it up with no sealant. That stuff is nasty, like baby poo, and sometimes ruins the TPMS sensor as well. Tire guys hate that stuff.

You have a slow leak, air it up, take it in, point out the nail, get it patched. I had a nail months ago, slow leak a long time. I took it off myself and put my spare on. Dropped off the wheel/tire and let them patch it, then swapped it back on. No wait, no chance of car damage. Just say nicely I have (black) wheels, please be careful :)

A Guy

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, if you can just pump it up with no sealant. That stuff is nasty, like baby poo, and sometimes ruins the TPMS sensor as well. Tire guys hate that stuff.

You have a slow leak, air it up, take it in, point out the nail, get it patched. I had a nail months ago, slow leak a long time. I took it off myself and put my spare on. Dropped off the wheel/tire and let them patch it, then swapped it back on. No wait, no chance of car damage. Just say nicely I have (black) wheels, please be careful :)

A Guy
thank you! always great advice! I wish I had a beater car where I'd be less ocd about trying to do things myself and learn by trial and error. I have to remember what I learned in that one auto class i took during college. I worry i might damage something. This is my second nail. The last time Just Tires patched it for me, I tried calling some other places but they said these Pirelli's must be replaced can't be repaired.

I guess luckily I already have to replace all 4 tires and there is that black friday deal at discount tires 10% plus 70 back with the Continentals. I'll definitely ask the service advisor if he could let the person doing the tires to be careful with the wheels. I just hate having to leave my car to someone, will have to get it aligned. I feel like my car hasn't been the same since taking it to the dealerships for the paint work. hopefully they would align it right or point out if there's anything wrong with the suspension.

I'll need to get a car battery charger. normally i have a garage, but i'm caring for my mom at the moment and she doesn't have one. i'm not sure if it's possible to charge it without leaving the hood or trunk open she has a lot of tiny leaves that gets messy.

I don't know if the portable jumpstart chargers will do or if I will need a plug in the wall type.

I do have a portable battery that I use for my macbook that takes AC outlets but it has a max AC output of 100W max. If possible i could charge it in my hood and close it using the portable battery and also a car battery charger to plug in that

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If the battery ran down I'd just replace it. Lead/acid batteries do not like being fully discharged and the battery is not new by any stretch which just makes matters worse.

I'm not a fan of trying to recharge a completely discharged battery using the engine and the alternator. If I was going to try to resurrect the battery I'd do so using a proper battery charger.

If the tire is low, and 7psi is not low it is flat, do not drive the car any. Drivng on a flat tire ruins it even if it could have been repaired.

Pump up the tire and if you want to use the tire sealant kit position the tire as the instructions call for, let the air out of the tire then, use the sealant kit.

I used this kit when my Hellcat's rear driver side tire got a puncture and it worked very well. But I just used it to allow me to drive the car 4 miles to a dealer that I had called and confirmed had tires in stock and had the punctured tire and its mate on the other side replaced.

Or if the leak is a slow enough leak do not use the kit but instead drive to a place to see if the tire can be fixed or if it has to be replaced.

BTW, if you use the kit you should as soon as you can get a replacement sealant canister to have for just in case.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the battery ran down I'd just replace it. Lead/acid batteries do not like being fully discharged and the battery is not new by any stretch which just makes matters worse.

I'm not a fan of trying to recharge a completely discharged battery using the engine and the alternator. If I was going to try to resurrect the battery I'd do so using a proper battery charger.

If the tire is low, and 7psi is not low it is flat, do not drive the car any. Drivng on a flat tire ruins it even if it could have been repaired.

Pump up the tire and if you want to use the tire sealant kit position the tire as the instructions call for, let the air out of the tire then, use the sealant kit.

I used this kit when my Hellcat's rear driver side tire got a puncture and it worked very well. But I just used it to allow me to drive the car 4 miles to a dealer that I had called and confirmed had tires in stock and had the punctured tire and its mate on the other side replaced.

Or if the leak is a slow enough leak do not use the kit but instead drive to a place to see if the tire can be fixed or if it has to be replaced.

BTW, if you use the kit you should as soon as you can get a replacement sealant canister to have for just in case.
I'll try to use just use the air from the kit not the sealant and then drive to get my tires replaced. I ordered 4 new ones on Saturday. I'm more worried about wheel damage, tires will be replaced anyways.

Since the tire is coming today and there's no appointments until Thursday if I should fill up the tire now and then drive to an Auto Zone or something if they could charge up my car or should I overnight a battery charger? I don't know which one would be good. My brother-in-law thinks I may need another jump before then.

If I were to replace the battery do you guys have any recommendations? You think if I found a good one I could have it shipped to a sort of independent shop and have them install it if it's not an OEM Dealership battery. Would using a non OEM battery void my warranty?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'll try to use just use the air from the kit not the sealant and then drive to get my tires replaced. I ordered 4 new ones on Saturday. I'm more worried about wheel damage, tires will be replaced anyways.

Since the tire is coming today and there's no appointments until Thursday if I should fill up the tire now and then drive to an Auto Zone or something if they could charge up my car or should I overnight a battery charger? I don't know which one would be good. My brother-in-law thinks I may need another jump before then.

If I were to replace the battery do you guys have any recommendations? You think if I found a good one I could have it shipped to a sort of independent shop and have them install it if it's not an OEM Dealership battery. Would using a non OEM battery void my warranty?
As long as the tire with the leak will hold air good enough to get you to where you want to go to get new tires you don't need to use the sealant.

I have no experience with Autozone charging a battery. The few times I had a battery charges/conditioned was at the dealer. While my car -- not my Dodge -- was in for something else the tech connected some fancy smancy battery charger/conditioner to the battery and had it charge/discharge/charge the battery to I guess deal with some sulfation that the battery had experienced.

In your case I think you should just replace battery. Given its age and that it ran down I think it is if not at the end of its life pretty darn close. You might resurrect it with a good conditioning/charge but it will probably still fail you and sooner rather than later.

I prefer to replace a battery when it is convenient to do so.

As for which battery for my other cars I've just sourced a battery from the dealer parts department and installed the battery myself. At other times, well at least once, I had the battery replaced at the dealership when it was necessary to replace the battery at the same time the car was being serviced.

A dealer sourced battery fits, is the proper capacity, and I know will drop right in and connect right up and just work. Be sure when you get the battery the stickers are removed to show when the battery went into service -- and keep the receipt! -- so if the new battery suffers a premature failure -- had one new battery fail after just 5 months -- you can get the battery replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Non OEM batt wont mess with your warranty as long as its in the same group size & CCA rating.
Dealership (oem mopar) is going to cost you twice what a new aftermarket will and you wont gain anything really, long as you go with a quality brand name.
Hope you get all this sorted out, Ive been there before and pushed more than my share of cars.
best of luck to ya over there SRT8outtaLa!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As long as the tire with the leak will hold air good enough to get you to where you want to go to get new tires you don't need to use the sealant.

I have no experience with Autozone charging a battery. The few times I had a battery charges/conditioned was at the dealer. While my car -- not my Dodge -- was in for something else the tech connected some fancy smancy battery charger/conditioner to the battery and had it charge/discharge/charge the battery to I guess deal with some sulfation that the battery had experienced.

In your case I think you should just replace battery. Given its age and that it ran down I think it is if not at the end of its life pretty darn close. You might resurrect it with a good conditioning/charge but it will probably still fail you and sooner rather than later.

I prefer to replace a battery when it is convenient to do so.

As for which battery for my other cars I've just sourced a battery from the dealer parts department and installed the battery myself. At other times, well at least once, I had the battery replaced at the dealership when it was necessary to replace the battery at the same time the car was being serviced.

A dealer sourced battery fits, is the proper capacity, and I know will drop right in and connect right up and just work. Be sure when you get the battery the stickers are removed to show when the battery went into service -- and keep the receipt! -- so if the new battery suffers a premature failure -- had one new battery fail after just 5 months -- you can get the battery replaced under warranty.
My car is still under warranty plus I have the manufacturer 5 year/85,000 mile also. Would the battery be covered? I know tires and brakes won't be after like 10,000 miles or something. I have a feeling batteries aren't covered, but why are aftermarket batteries covered under warranty? and tires too plus vandalism and not maintaining it by rotations and alignments

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
My car is still under warranty plus I have the manufacturer 5 year/85,000 mile also. Would the battery be covered? I know tires and brakes won't be after like 10,000 miles or something. I have a feeling batteries aren't covered, but why are aftermarket batteries covered under warranty? and tires too plus vandalism and not maintaining it by rotations and alignments
How old is your battery? Batteries only last about 3-4 years and most are pro-rated. I would recommend the Bosch 94R battery. It is an excellent, long-lasting battery with 800 CCA and a 3-year free replacement warranty. It sells for $177.99 at Pep Boys. They often offer 25% or 35% off on-line deals.

The next time you have to jump your battery, simply open your hood and connect the positive cable to the red jumper terminal next to the fuse box and the negative cable to a metal ground. As an example, see the location on my 6.1 (next to upper left corner of fuse box).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,695 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts