Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought I was sure I wanted to buy a used R/T Plus by the end of this year, but now I'm not so sure. I got to drive a Scat Pack that belongs to my dad's friend (for the third time) and feeling how awesome that was again made me wonder if I could ever be really satisfied with 375 horses, especially since I won't be able to start modding for a long while. I keep justifying shooting for the higher goal in my head like this:

I've compared insurance rates and they're actually surprisingly close.

93 octane isn't horribly expensive where I live, and I have a vehicle already that uses 87 to use off and on, and I have to keep that vehicle to keep the insurance manageable for a 21 year old (multi-car discount).

I can handle the increased payments since I won't be paying rent come my senior year.

I won't be able to buy for at least a year, so the prices of Scat Packs will come a little closer to where the R/T Plus is today.

485 horses is SOOO much fun.

BUT...the con list goes like this:

The R/T will probably last longer (without forging internals)

It gets better mileage

It's made to run on 89 octane (cheaper)

I've been told it costs less to repair?

375 horses is still a good amount and it does 0-60 about as fast as an original 1970 Hemi car.

Less chance of getting myself into trouble, either with the law or by losing control.

So my main concerns are what kind of risk am I taking buying a used/pre-owned Scat Pack, or even an R/T, even if it's from a dealer like AutoMax or a Dodge dealership? What kind of abuse can the modern 392 and 8 speed auto stand up to, and for how long? I've also heard that the longevity of the Dodge build quality isn't that good, I've heard that some people have had things coming loose and things like wind noise in the cabin as early as 30,000 miles. The used ones I'm looking at are usually between 8000-30,000 miles. How do the repair costs between the two models compare?

I'd appreciate any advice, so sound off your opinions below. Cheers

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
To be honest with you. You stated you are not ready to buy for at least a year. That means a lot of times for the varieties to pop up. For an example, who knows you fall in love with a girl and that may change your plans for a car? Etc etc etc etc etc etc

I wouldn't sweat it, and not allow myself to be preoccupied with which trim of a challenger to buy for a year. That's a torture, really. When you are ready to buy one then that's when you should start researching and makes your good solid decision to settle on which trim, IMO. Enjoy your senior year with one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
This is what my Methodist pastor son calls a "First world problem". It's like choosing between a Delmonico steak and the Prime Rib for supper. You really can't go wrong either way.

That being said, I'll offer this. I saw the term "senior year" (assume that's college), so you gave away your age. 375 HP is MORE than enough for your first hot rod (this from an old timer who was able to get in just enough trouble with a 210 HP AMC Javelin back in the day). I have a 2013 R/T Classic (5AT) for 5 years now and it's fast, fun, reliable, and every bit as cool (based on comments from onlookers no matter where I pull up). For every day driving, cruising, road trips, or just goofing off, there are very few times you'd ever want or need that extra 100 HP. You will have to resign your self to NOT being able to hang with 5.0L Mustangs and Camaros at the stop-light....but there are plenty of rice-rockets, tuners, and euro-sporties that you can embarrass with the 5.7.

Then, after you've got it paid off, or you've put some miles in, go for the upgrade. I'm planning on running my R/T for a couple more years (maybe a toral of 7 or 8) and upgrading to a T/A 392 before they turn the Challenger into a euro-trash-machine.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've now owned both and can tell you that the 5.7 Hemi is plenty satisfying and arguably more fun to mod. In daily driving the two feel nearly identical until you really punch the throttle and you'll notice that the 392 digs deeper. Both are great! I got rid of my Scat Pack for financial reasons (heading back to school) and I got an unbelievable trade number for my 392 shaker. I loved my 392 but I don't miss it. I'm actually surprised by that.

Last point, I like my luxury options for daily driving and you can obviously get more factory options on a 5.7 car if you have a fixed budget. Hard to add heated and cooled seats later but you can always add hp... Just my experiences.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd just do a low milage '15 A8 Scat Shaker and be done. Only regret from there would be not having a Hellcat, that comes later :) I get 26mpg on my '15 A8 SRT392 and has been bullet proof at 20K miles. That includes some track and strip time (I'm on my third set of tires). Premium gas? who cares.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Nothing wrong with a rusty hot rod. On my way to and from work, I sometimes pass this old, beat-up 69 charger complete with bondo patches, peeling vinyl top and torn seats, just a-toolin' down the interstate. Young man driving it has long greasy hair, unkempt beard, grease-stained hands, and a smile on his face like he's taking a victory lap at Daytona.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd just do a low milage '15 A8 Scat Shaker and be done. Only regret from there would be not having a Hellcat, that comes later :) I get 26mpg on my '15 A8 SRT392 and has been bullet proof at 20K miles. That includes some track and strip time (I'm on my third set of tires). Premium gas? who cares.
Dang, see that's exactly why I want an auto. And because I don't like stick, even though I know how to drive stick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts