Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This $10/HP thing's got me looking around at what's out there, even though I'm not one to ever just buy something off a lot. One car I found was a Hellcat Redeye reduced by over $15,000 equipped exactly the way I would have ordered it, with the exception of the fact it has a SUNROOF. It wasn't mentioned in the dealer's description, but when I saw it in one of the pics, I was bummed. I've had three Challengers with sunroofs and I actually liked them while I lived in New England. Once I relocated to FL, not so much. It's usually to hot to drive with it open, and I often leave the sun shade closed to keep things cooler.
I think the extra weight of a sunroof along with having that excess weight up high can't be a good thing for handling. I'm afraid it will also affect the marketability of the car in the future when it comes time for me to sell it.
I'm wondering what percentage of Hellcat owners opt out of having a sunroof and what YOUR opinions of them are on THIS car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts
You can get it clear tinted and reject most of the heat.

You don't have to go clearest of course on sunroof, and you can still reject heat and UV/IR

A Guy

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm afraid it will also affect the marketability of the car in the future when it comes time for me to sell it.
Umm, no. In fact resale value is often dictated by the amount of factory options a particular car has. The more optios, the better in most cases. If anything, it would have a neutral effect.
As far as weight goes, several sources seem to inficate the entire thing (glass, drive, frame etc) adds just over 30lbs, thats simply not enough to even be a factor unless you are very, very serious about actual track performance and plan on giving the car a serious diet. Heck fuel/fluid levels & individual driver weight differences can add/subtract more then that amount.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tinting does make sense, so thanks for that thought. Another concern I failed to mention was possible lifting at speed. I've not had it happen to me, so maybe it's a non-issue. I do think the majority of Hellcat owners go without a sunroof, given a choice. I'm wondering if placed in my situation, would it be a deal killer?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Umm, no. In fact resale value is often dictated by the amount of factory options a particular car has. The more optios, the better in most cases. If anything, it would have a neutral effect.
As far as weight goes, several sources seem to inficate the entire thing (glass, drive, frame etc) adds just over 30lbs, thats simply not enough to even be a factor unless you are very, very serious about actual track performance and plan on giving the car a serious diet. Heck fuel/fluid levels & individual driver weight differences can add/subtract more then that amount.
If an option is desirable, I agree it should add value, and at the very least, not detract from it. As for the weight, I thought the difference was as much as 100 lbs., not 30, which would be significant if this is the case. If someone knows a definite figure, please post it.

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
As for the weight, I thought the difference was as much as 100 lbs., not 30, which would be significant if this is the case. If someone knows a definite figure, please post it.
The sunroof parts have been weighed.

11 lbs for the glass.
14 lbs for the frame, support, motor system and drain tube.

Maybe some slight reinforcements around the opening and then deduct for the skin that is cut away so we're probably talking at most 30 lbs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's surprisingly much less than I thought, so that's really not an issue.

·
Vendor
78 Posts
You can get it clear tinted and reject most of the heat.

You don't have to go clearest of course on sunroof, and you can still reject heat and UV/IR

View attachment 979499

A Guy
My thought exactly or even a layer of 20% tint over the factory tint will significantly reduce the heat it brings into the vehicle. It works well for me here in TN.

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
That's surprisingly much less than I thought, so that's really not an issue.
There's really not much to them, about the only thing that would make it heavier would be with the use of a heavier laminated windshield type glass, but even that might only add 20 lbs. It would make it safer from risk of explosion so would be worth it imho, the lightweight tempered glass they use definitely at risk for random explosion and not what you want inches from your face.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If an option is desirable, I agree it should add value, and at the very least, not detract from it. As for the weight, I thought the difference was as much as 100 lbs., not 30, which would be significant if this is the case. If someone knows a definite figure, please post it.
Every vehicle value calculator (same ones dealers use to value) will have a "sunroof" option box, along side alloy wheels, navigation, and other options off as base/standard model equipped. I have yet to ever see a cars value decline when a sunroof is part of the option package. At best its a no loss/no gain option.
While I ageee, I prefer challengers without them as you do, having one on your prospective car, being a concern in DTR resale value, simply doesnt seem to be a concern. Most buyers desire a car with more options than less, dealers take that into consideration when making an offer. You simply can never have too many factory options at trade in time. Now, from perhaps a waaay in the future desireability / fewer made standpoint, that certainly could be a debate.
As far as weight, glass is 10.7lbs, frame and drive compons are under 15lbs, add in seals and hardware and you are still under 30lbs. Dont forget, this also does not account for roof skin weight and interior panel weight that would have to be calculated Back in for non sunroof cars - if one wants to compute the actual weight disparity between the two roof types.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I loath sunroofs with a passion, however my car has one! the deal was too good to refuse at the time.
The only time I tried to use it on a hot day after the car sitting in a carpark most of the day I thought cool I will open the sun roof to let all of the heat out for a nice cool drive home... WRONG all that happened was my naturally unprotected head was getting burnt by the blazing sun!, to be fair I hardly notice it now and it doesn't bother me but I still don't use it, if it helps with resale all will not be lost.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Going through the same situation right now. My SRT8 and Scatpack both had sunroofs. When I bought Hellcat off showroom floor it didn’t have. I was so disappointed. My wife laughed at me and asked how many times I used them in my other cars. The answer was once one the SRT8 and none on the Scat. Now today I’m trading the Hellcat in for a Widebody Redeye with a Sunroof. I really wish it didn’t have. Florida is way too hot .

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
I am a HUGE sunroof fan. My last Charger (2015) didn't have one, and I missed it, especially coming from a SLK350 Convertible. I love all windows down, and roof open on mild days, and warm nights the best. And on rainy days I like the shade panel open seeing and hearing the rain. Then on a hot summer day, close the shade, enjoy a/c. And you can leave it vented when parked to let some (not much) heat out. To me, other than the cost, the only downside is lost headroom, and I fit OK with it (and I'm a big guy), but I could see a very tall person needing that extra room for comfort.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Some other potential "cons" to sunroofs (besides less headroom) are potential water leak issues and squeaks/rattles as the car gets older. Generally, these are not issues when the car is newer, but as they age, they become potential issues. My last few cars before my Challenger had sunroofs and I've found that I just don't use them here in PA. To me, you have to have "just right" weather for a sunroof - not to cold and not too hot (and not raining, obviously) - and even then, if the sun is beating down, that is another reason not to use them. For how often I use them (almost never), they just aren't worth the potential issues (for me).

In the end, it really boils down to a personal decision as to whether you would actually use it or not.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Only one car I've owned has had a sunroof. I bought a used 2003 Porsche Turbo with one. The car ticked all the boxes and the sunroof while I never would have ordered a car with one just came along with rest of the desired options, mainly auto climate control, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, seat/mirror memory, rear wiper, to name a few.

Tried to use the sunroof but open the result was not pleasant. There was a tilt up feature that was partially useful but I still didn't use it all that often. I much preferred to lower one or both windows to let some air in the hot cabin. Much more effective at removing the heat in the cabin.

Not too long after I bought the car I stopped using the sunroof to avoid a chance the mechanism would fail.

My new Hellcat came sans a sunroof. I bought off the lot and like the Turbo if the Hellcat had had a sunroof I might have bought it regardless if the rest of the car was to my liking, but if I can avoid buying a car with a sunroof I do so.

I don't worry about the absence of a sunroof affecting the car's resale value. For every prospective buyer who has to have one there is another who can't stand a sunroof.

Just take good care of the car and this alone will help seal the sale when it comes time to sell the car on.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My comments regarding resale desirability are more demand related than worry about resale value. I remember when the A8 transmission became available, a lot of 6 spd diehards swore they'd not switch over. Although there are those that still prefer a manual transmission, I think the majority of buyers opt for the A8 nowadays. I'm not sure of the actual numbers for one vs. the other, but when it comes time to sell, I'm betting the ratio of buyers would be 70% for A8 to 30% M6.
If the same analogy is be applied to not having a sunroof vs. having one, or vice versa, I'd hate to eliminate 70% of buyers. I know a dealer will take anything in on trade, but I've always opted to sell privately. One way or another, I know everyone here will say, "get what works for you", but that's not always sound advice. Picture the guy that over customizes their car to the point of looking tacky, and you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My comments regarding resale desirability are more demand related than worry about resale value. I remember when the A8 transmission became available, a lot of 6 spd diehards swore they'd not switch over. Although there are those that still prefer a manual transmission, I think the majority of buyers opt for the A8 nowadays. I'm not sure of the actual numbers for one vs. the other, but when it comes time to sell, I'm betting the ratio of buyers would be 70% for A8 to 30% M6.
If the same analogy is be applied to not having a sunroof vs. having one, or vice versa, I'd hate to eliminate 70% of buyers. I know a dealer will take anything in on trade, but I've always opted to sell privately. One way or another, I know everyone here will say, "get what works for you", but that's not always sound advice. Picture the guy that over customizes their car to the point of looking tacky, and you'll know what I mean.
A dealer will take the car in on trade but tell you the majority of buyers do not want a sunroof and use this -- in part -- to justify his low ball offer to you. And if you had a car with no sunroof he'd tell you the lack of a sun roof is a real value killer.

(In Sept 2001 bought a new 2001 Camaro Z28. No T-top and the salesman touted this to me. T-top or no T-top made no difference to me. I bought the car because it checked all the boxes. 4 months later I decided I wanted another car and the dealer told me the lack of a T-top really hurt the car's resale value.)

You can buy a car you think the majority of car buyers will want but used car buyers are mostly concerned with price and condition. Condition and price. My advice is get the car you want. When (if) it comes time to sell the car on you'll find a buyer. Whether the car has a sunroof or not.

(If you buy to please the used car market get a 6-speed. While there are fewer buyers interested in a 6-speed those that are might be willing to pay a premium for a car with a 6-speed.)

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have no use for a sunroof so when I ordered my HC, I didn't order one. However other vehicles have been purchased from dealer stock and they all have/had sunroofs. So presence of a sunroof does not affect my purchase decision.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,328 Posts
There are a hundred things to like about that car. Really, whether or not it has a sunroof pales in comparison. I'd be more concerned about things like gas mileage (atrocious) than a couple bucks on resale value or a microscopic change in handling. If yer worried about money, ya might want to think about those front rotors that cost 1000.00 dollars each.
If you're concerned about resale, it's not going to be an issue. The biggest issue in that arena will be the number of miles you put on the car. Only a very small percentage are going to fuss over this: most buyers are more concerned with how you've treated that car than whether or not it has a sunroof.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts