Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
475 Posts
Never use the ones I had in the past,

Had one shatter when the hood came open at 60 MPH, not fun.

Cost to me is to much when I never use it. Like the rear slider on my trucks, also never get used.

Would not buy our challenger if it had a sun roof !!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm not concerned about the resale value due to the car having a sunroof. I'm concerned with the demand for the vehicle equipped with one when it comes time for me to sell it. If, for example, 89% of people object to having one, that leaves only 11% that may actually want one or simply don't care one way or the other.
After the A8 transmission came out, I thought to myself there will me a lot of manual cars sitting on lots due to decreased demand. I was correct. Most dealers I know of order A8 equipped Challengers for their inventory because they know it's more marketable than M6 equipped vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One thing that helped me decide to buy my Challenger 1320 was it didn't have a sunroof.
I've had a few cars with sunroofs. Worst was a 2 door 1988 Plymouth Sundance Turbo.
leaks, wind noise and a faulty latch. I would like to see a study of unibody flex, structural integrity, with and without a sunroof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one an d l love it though I do live in Georgia it is cooler but I am glad it is there I used it quite a bit now until the cold gets here. :)

This $10/HP thing's got me looking around at what's out there, even though I'm not one to ever just buy something off a lot. One car I found was a Hellcat Redeye reduced by over $15,000 equipped exactly the way I would have ordered it, with the exception of the fact it has a SUNROOF. It wasn't mentioned in the dealer's description, but when I saw it in one of the pics, I was bummed. I've had three Challengers with sunroofs and I actually liked them while I lived in New England. Once I relocated to FL, not so much. It's usually to hot to drive with it open, and I often leave the sun shade closed to keep things cooler.
I think the extra weight of a sunroof along with having that excess weight up high can't be a good thing for handling. I'm afraid it will also affect the marketability of the car in the future when it comes time for me to sell it.
I'm wondering what percentage of Hellcat owners opt out of having a sunroof and what YOUR opinions of them are on THIS car?

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
77 Posts
Not exactly the same concept, but a couple of friends and I have been considering buying an old v6 challenger to convert into a racecar, however it has a sunroof, so we were contemplating either removing it and patching the roof, or buying a non sunroof roof panel and replacing it, but comparing a damaged 2010 v6 to a brand new hellcat is a bit off topic, but me myself did purposely got a car without the sunroof for more headroom, my want to take that into account

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I live in S Fl. Totally get it. Not worth it here. Plus the heat hitting the sunroof everyday takes a toll in the sunroof. My fourth 2009 and up Challenger. Two had sunroof. Not good....and i dont want the extra 30 pounds for something i will use a dozen times a year.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Ordered a sunroof on the 09 SRT that is never used, so that was not on the required options list when Demon shopping last year.

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,181 Posts
Funny how times have a changed. Used to be that a sunroof was sought after. Have a sunroof in my JGC (wife complains we should have bought one with a video display for the kids) and Challenger which I really only open during summer nights. Heck I really don't use the uconnect or AC (only when the fam is in the challenger).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, I’m in trouble then. My SRT has a sunroof (technically moonroof) and it’s an M6.
Seriously though Pony, if a huge savings on that Redeye is negated by a sunroof, as it apparently is for you, then keep looking. There are lots of cars out there; you’ll find what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I loath sunroofs with a passion, however my car has one! the deal was too good to refuse at the time.
The only time I tried to use it on a hot day after the car sitting in a carpark most of the day I thought cool I will open the sun roof to let all of the heat out for a nice cool drive home... WRONG all that happened was my naturally unprotected head was getting burnt by the blazing sun!, to be fair I hardly notice it now and it doesn't bother me but I still don't use it, if it helps with resale all will not be lost.
Agreed - I’m not a fan. I grew up (kind of : ) with muscle cars and I just don’t like holes in the roof line. In a minivan or SUV, fine, but not in a muscle or modem muscle car.

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
271 Posts
I personally like them. My '08 Challenger SRT8 had one when I found it.

It just so happens that my (new to me) daily driver '05 Magnum RT also has one.

It was not on my required options list for either while shopping but I enjoy them on both cars.

I'm only 5'8" so the decreased headroom is a non issue for me.

I'd rather just have it available if I want it, cover with the slide panel when I don't.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,181 Posts
I am 6'2" and the sunroof is not an issue for me as well...this is the first topic that is over my head but I still understand. 🤡

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if the headliner is lower in a car with a sunroof but I've assumed it is. With this in mind, I regret buying a car with a sunroof. I'm 6'4" and while I can sit comfortably in the car normally with seat adjustments dialed in, when I go to the track I have to slouch down due to the helmet hitting the headliner in my case.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't know if the headliner is lower in a car with a sunroof but I've assumed it is. With this in mind, I regret buying a car with a sunroof. I'm 6'4" and while I can sit comfortably in the car normally with seat adjustments dialed in, when I go to the track I have to slouch down due to the helmet hitting the headliner in my case.
There definitely is less headroom in the moonroof equipped version so tall people should keep this in mind!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts