Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few hours ago I was test driving an 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk (fully loaded) beautiful suv with every option imaginable.

So I'm sitting down with the salemans, they run my credit report (excellent), few mins later he comes back with some "numbers". As he shows me his sheet of paper I see an Admin Fee(that's what they call it) of $549. I automatically laughed and asked him to explain that fee but I'm aware of dealers markups just wanted to see how he puts it. The saleman replies "that for the paperwork and processing" then he jumps to another topic as to move on. I then cut him off saying I'm not paying that, that's just another way to add on money that was taken off and walks.

I swear I haven't met an honest saleman yet or one that's hasn't tried to take advantage. During the time I bought my challenger 1 stealership tried to add in an "processing fee" of 250. I walked and they said they would remove the fee if I went thru with it but they already lost my business with that slick move.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Maybe us customers should do a "charge-back fee" for all OUR time THEY waste!!! ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
The thing that drives me crazy is they don't see anything wrong with dinging your credit before pulling stunts like that. Anymore, I won't even give my information to a salesman until we have a locked line-item perfect quote on paper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Try Melvin Bland at Meadowland of Carmel. Fairest dealer in the lower NY area I can find.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Whenever I make an offer, I tell them I'm willing to pay x $ and nothing else except tax and DMV. They tried that shit on my RT when I went in to pick it up, added a $700 dealer fee. I said BS and no deal. The sales manager took it off but said I should have known dealer fees are expected. I said I told you what I was offering you and you accepted it when we made the deal. Idiots.....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that drives me crazy is they don't see anything wrong with dinging your credit before pulling stunts like that. Anymore, I won't even give my information to a salesman until we have a locked line-item perfect quote on paper.

Good advice, I'm trying that method right now. Talking to two other stealerships right now thru email.

Whenever I make an offer, I tell them I'm willing to pay x $ and nothing else except tax and DMV. They tried that shit on my RT when I went in to pick it up, added a $700 dealer fee. I said BS and no deal. The sales manager took it off but said I should have known dealer fees are expected. I said I told you what I was offering you and you accepted it when we made the deal. Idiots.....

Lol thanks for the laugh. I hope to have an trailhawk by the end of this month.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try Melvin Bland at Meadowland of Carmel. Fairest dealer in the lower NY area I can find.
Thx, I will check there inventory.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I guess the old adage is you cannot get what you don't ask for..... they can try and add it on but it is up to the potential customer to see that and question it. I know of many that pay that type of stuff. My brother and his wife got stuck with a couple of those. Gotta look at all of the details for everything. Have you looked at your cable bill lately? There is like 5 seperate taxes on cable and phone now. No one questions that but it is there and we all pay it. Granted... we cannot just not pay it... but still.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think it's piss poor business to add fees instead of having the business sense to add the cost of doing business into your product. Yesterday I rented out a storage unit and along with the monthly rent and lock security deposit they tried to charge a "move in fee". I asked them who is moving me in then? If I am moving myself in, as I intend to do, then why am I paying a fee for that? I got it waived after a while. Yeah it was only 24 bucks but I'm not in the market to let money go unnecessarily.

Though my wife may disagree as she views supercharger, cam, heads, and brembo brakes as quite unnecessary lol!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Somebody has to pay salaries, e.g. for the business chick taking your hard earned dollars, the gal who processes all the DMV stuff, the person who "sells" the accessories and add-ons, facility costs for the dealer's building, utilities, their overhead and G&A.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but the fees are added in somewhere and including them in the car's sticker price may not work as each fee differs between dealers and geographical areas/markets.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Local dealer here added a "pin stripe package" for $499 to both a Challenger R/T with the Mopar appearance package and a Charger SRT Superbee..both only had stripes that came from the factory. I've also seen a few with a "clear coat protectant package".. It pretty funny to read dealer add-ons.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Somebody has to pay salaries, e.g. for the business chick taking your hard earned dollars, the gal who processes all the DMV stuff, the person who "sells" the accessories and add-ons, facility costs for the dealer's building, utilities, their overhead and G&A.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but the fees are added in somewhere and including them in the car's sticker price may not work as each fee differs between dealers and geographical areas/markets.
I would agree... People complain about a doctor bill of $100 for a 15 minute visit... but.. what they don't think of is the office worker that books the appointment and follow up. The person that keys into a computerized system what your visit was about and what all was done... someone to file the insurance forms.. then someone to deal with the insruance company when they reject it.. then someone to take payment from insurance company and then turn around and use that computer system to then create a bill for you to pay the balance... then if you don't pay to follow up with you.. then when you do pay to accept the payment.... There is a lot of behind the scenes costs in a 15 minute doctor visit that most don't think about.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would agree... People complain about a doctor bill of $100 for a 15 minute visit... but.. what they don't think of is the office worker that books the appointment and follow up. The person that keys into a computerized system what your visit was about and what all was done... someone to file the insurance forms.. then someone to deal with the insruance company when they reject it.. then someone to take payment from insurance company and then turn around and use that computer system to then create a bill for you to pay the balance... then if you don't pay to follow up with you.. then when you do pay to accept the payment.... There is a lot of behind the scenes costs in a 15 minute doctor visit that most don't think about.
You've missed the mark my man. The cost of doing business is in fact understood. And the Dr. analogy I would be fine with because they worked their overhead into their price like good business should. The "fees" are topic of discussion here. Don't nickle and dime me to death as the customer because either A.) the business is too lazy to work the overhead into their product or B.) the business is in fact trying to nickle and dime the customer. Either is unacceptable in my book and irritates the hell out of me.

If they can't work overhead into the price of their product then why not just sell the product for what it cost to produce then add fees in for electricity bill, labor, transportation, taxes, rent, profit, phone, and other associated costs of business. Let's just list them all.

Fees all in all are a half assed attempt to fleece the customer of more hard earned money. If I enter into a contract with you for X dollar for X product do not come back at me with additional cost. :headbang:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was at a KAI dealership once and they tried charging my friend $1000 for the processing fee on a Soul?, I nearly fell to the floor gagging...

I told him his girlfriend wasn't worth it no matter how much she liked the car...

Wil

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've missed the mark my man. The cost of doing business is in fact understood. And the Dr. analogy I would be fine with because they worked their overhead into their price like good business should. The "fees" are topic of discussion here. Don't nickle and dime me to death as the customer because either A.) the business is too lazy to work the overhead into their product or B.) the business is in fact trying to nickle and dime the customer. Either is unacceptable in my book and irritates the hell out of me.

If they can't work overhead into the price of their product then why not just sell the product for what it cost to produce then add fees in for electricity bill, labor, transportation, taxes, rent, profit, phone, and other associated costs of business. Let's just list them all.

Fees all in all are a half assed attempt to fleece the customer of more hard earned money. If I enter into a contract with you for X dollar for X product do not come back at me with additional cost. :headbang:
Saved me some writing, these "processing fee/admin fee" go right back in dealership owner hand and more commission % for the saleman.

Reactions: rajunz

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was at a KAI dealership once and they tried charging my friend $1000 for the processing fee on a Soul?, I nearly fell to the floor gagging...

I told him his girlfriend wasn't worth it no matter how much she liked the car...

Wil
My initial reaction was upsetting so I laughed it off and that was 549.

But 1,000? Beyond greedy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
It was dreadful...

The worst part about it was, the salesperson and us went to high school together.

He lost a sale and we never went back...

·
Registered
381 Posts

Any money the dealership makes is part of the sales deal. The "fees" can go straight to hell. If a dealership cannot figure out how to properly sell a vehicle without tacking on fees left right and center, they shouldn't be in business, and my $$ shouldn't be going towards paying their bills, staff, or bottom line.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Any money the dealership makes is part of the sales deal. The "fees" can go straight to hell. If a dealership cannot figure out how to properly sell a vehicle without tacking on fees left right and center, they shouldn't be in business, and my $$ shouldn't be going towards paying their bills, staff, or bottom line.
How do you propose to pay the "workers" and other bills? It's a cost of doing business and each dealer or geographical area in the USA has different prevailing wage rates, property rates, utility costs, taxes, etc. How can Chrysler pick a flat rate? Is it Chrysler's responsibility? I have really no clue how a dealer pays their sales staff or support personnel, besides via commissions. If a flat rate could be established, some customers would make out whereas others would probably be screwed more. It's sort of like the flat tax rate debate...IMO.

Now if the seller and buyer agree to a price and that price is all "inclusive" of what was agreed to and the dealer comes in after the fact trying to recover some "missed or hidden fees", then, that's breach of contract. Buyer then has a choice in this situation. Personally, I'd walk.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts