Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strictly just an opinion post, but am I the only one who thinks it’s kind of silly for Dodge to slap some fender flares on a Challenger and call it a widebody? In my experience, a wide body kit consists of replacement fenders and quarter panels etc to make the body actually, you know, “wider”. You see trucks with fender flares all the time and those are never called wide bodies.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the look. In fact I’ve never seen an actual widebody kit that I didn’t think looked a little goofy, but let’s call a spade a spade, you know? Anyway, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,670 Posts
They basically took the cheapest route possible is what it comes down to. It does the trick, but I agree, molded quarter panels would look better. Maybe next model change it will be built into the design? The difference in price between wide body and regular Challengers is substantial, especially the Hellcat. IMO, the Hellcat should have the wider wheels and tires standard in order to put the power down better.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is strictly just an opinion post, but am I the only one who thinks it’s kind of silly for Dodge to slap some fender flares on a Challenger and call it a widebody? In my experience, a wide body kit consists of replacement fenders and quarter panels etc to make the body actually, you know, “wider”. You see trucks with fender flares all the time and those are never called wide bodies.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the look. In fact I’ve never seen an actual widebody kit that I didn’t think looked a little goofy, but let’s call a spade a spade, you know? Anyway, just my 2 cents.
I agree, fender flares do not make a wide body and (in my opinion) the cars look stupid. Here is my old M3, an example of a real wide body.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They basically took the cheapest route possible is what it comes down to. It does the trick, but I agree, molded quarter panels would look better. Maybe next model change it will be built into the design? The difference between wide body and regular Challengers is substantial, especially the Hellcat. IMO, the Hellcat should have the wider wheels and tires standard.
See I disagree when you say the difference is “substantial”. It’s just some fenders, no? You can basically take any challenger and turn it into one of their “wide bodies” by sticking those fender flares on it. Unless there’s some other difference I’m missing...

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,670 Posts
See I disagree when you say the difference is “substantial”. It’s just some fenders, no? You can basically take any challenger and turn it into one of their “wide bodies” by sticking those fender flares on it. Unless there’s some other difference I’m missing...
Yeah, I meant the difference in price and edited my post, but not fast enough lol.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,670 Posts
Aside from the flared fenders, the wheels are 11.0” with 305/35ZR20 tires which does help add more grip from a standing start. I can’t help but think the handling should be better also.

·
Registered
13,703 Posts
They have to market the car too you know so what would they call it? Like the new HEMI might not be a real HEMI and the Widebody not a real Widebody but it works and it sells. And I absolutely love the look. A B5 Widebody came flying up behind me yesterday on the interstate and I tell you, that is one awesome looking car going down the road. The flares, the wheels, tires, the stance, they just knocked it out the park and a widened steel fendered car would not look nearly as good imho.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,364 Posts
It is fenders and flares, small difference, but the fenders are what gives it clearance, and the flares mount to that. Someone has posted pics of the fenders without flares before, but I don't remember who

A guy

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Would you pay $10k - $20k for an actual "widebody"? Most people wouldn't.

It's a low production muscle car...

·
Registered
13,703 Posts
Charger looks to be the same to me, the fenders are different with the flares mounting holes and the extra clearance for the 305s. The flares push in and get locked into the holes. The new Charger WB nose does incorporate the front part of the flares, that's different from Challenger.

What brand are those fender flares? I only see them on SUVs and Trucks.
Don't know if you're trying to be funny but these are Dodge brand.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The 26Z package includes, besides the 20x11 devils wheel & wider tires..... things you dont see and apparently hadnt researched.
38% higher spring rates on all 4 corners, 20% larger front & rear sway bars, a completely different adaptive suspension tune specific to widebodies, Elect power steering (least for 2018-2019 was WB only), Inner fender flare supports (front & rear) are intrigal to the body and adds ridgitity & strength. Different front splitter, under belly pan and on Redeye's, different brake ducting. The added 3.5 inches provides (per Dodge) greater downforce.
I believe, if my memory is correct, the combined added foot print increase is close to a square foot more rubber on the deck. Narrow body vs Widebody, all else being equal & respective within the trim level (scatpack or hellcat) drop a 1/10th in 0-60 & 3/10ths or more in the quarter mile, lateral G's increased enough to knock nearly 2 seconds off lap times at dodge's test track. 2 seconds IS substantial!
All of this adds up to a car that is much more planted, way less twitchy, has greater accelleration & braking all around and can put that power to the ground substantially better both in a straight line and in the turns. Go drive both and tell those of us all that have, that there is no difference other than fender flares....The differences are more than cosmetic and they are very noticable improvements,
or just add some cheap taped on chinese flares from ebay and think that you've got the same thing I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
778 Posts
The 26Z package includes, besides the 20x11 devils wheel & wider tires..... things you dont see and apparently hadnt researched.
38% higher spring rates on all 4 corners, 20% larger front & rear sway bars, a completely different adaptive suspension tune specific to widebodies, Elect power steering (least for 2018-2019 was WB only), Inner fender flare supports (front & rear) are intrigal to the body and adds ridgitity & strength. Different front splitter, under belly pan and on Redeye's, different brake ducting. The added 3.5 inches provides (per Dodge) greater downforce.
I believe, if my memory is correct, the combined added foot print increase is close to a square foot more rubber on the deck. Narrow body vs Widebody, all else being equal & respective within the trim level (scatpack or hellcat) drop a 1/10th in 0-60 & 3/10ths or more in the quarter mile, lateral G's increased enough to knock nearly 2 seconds off lap times at dodge's test track. 2 seconds IS substantial!
All of this adds up to a car that is much more planted, way less twitchy, has greater accelleration & braking all around and can put that power to the ground substantially better both in a straight line and in the turns. Go drive both and tell those of us all that have, that there is no difference other than fender flares....The differences are more than cosmetic and they are very noticable improvements,
or just add some cheap taped on chinese flares from ebay and think that you've got the same thing I guess :rolleyes:
Electric power steering has been standard on most Challengers for years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've always liked the idea of widebodys and the fact that the wider openings let you run wider tires for better handling. I daily drive a Lumpy, or Humpster Javelin which has some pretty wide fenders from the factory. I did a lot of research before I purchased my current widebody and as stated above it is a lot more then a set of stick on fender flares. You could not do all these improvements to your current non widebody Challenger for the $6k option price. You can certainly get the look with a few bolt on's but the extra handling benefits will cost a lot more.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Charger looks to be the same to me, the fenders are different with the flares mounting holes and the extra clearance for the 305s. The flares push in and get locked into the holes. The new Charger WB nose does incorporate the front part of the flares, that's different from Challenger.

Don't know if you're trying to be funny but these are Dodge brand.

I knew it.

Hobbits exist!

·
Registered
211 Posts
i like all the options that came with the purchase of my WB car... flares and all..LOL But in reality without some pretty ballsy modification to a standard body challenger, you cant just bolt on the fender flares and call the car the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They basically took the cheapest route possible is what it comes down to. It does the trick, but I agree, molded quarter panels would look better. Maybe next model change it will be built into the design? The difference in price between wide body and regular Challengers is substantial, especially the Hellcat. IMO, the Hellcat should have the wider wheels and tires standard in order to put the power down better.

So ive got a 2012 that I went and got flares installed to give it the wide body look, but instead of bolting them on i had them molded on to give it the factory or after market wide body look. and of all the people who ive talked to about it they said the molded look is the better route, im still in the process of finishing them cause its a lot of custom work but when i get a chance ill put som pics up too

1 - 20 of 32 Posts