Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all: My 2012’s rear fenders are rusting. The body shop says it’s because of the foam injected there that traps water. They will remove the foam when they cut out and replace the rusted areas. Said they’ve done it before on Mopars and there is no downside...ok, maybe a little more road noise in-cabin.
Question: Is he correct? Is removing the foam ok?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it’s about that time. Sadly I first noticed it emerge 4 months after the vehicle’s 5 year rust warrantee expired. I’ve continued to watch it bloom and now it’s time to fix it.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
361 Posts
Is this still a thing for the 2015+ redesign or did they stop putting foam there? If it's still a thing what is the process to remove said foam?

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Is this still a thing for the 2015+ redesign or did they stop putting foam there? If it's still a thing what is the process to remove said foam?
Yes, still there and don't know an easy way to get it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Foam is for sound deadening, and maybe strength. If it get wet and there is rust, it is because something else already failed letting the moisture/salt/whatever in.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
361 Posts
Foam is for sound deadening, and maybe strength. If it get wet and there is rust, it is because something else already failed letting the moisture/salt/whatever in.
So your saying that area is sealed and if water is there than a seal or something else broke?

(Just curious, not trying to cause trouble. Still learning about these cars.)

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
I think it's a closed cell foam so not supposed to absorb water but it eventually does.

Like floatation in the hull of a boat, inevitably it works it's way in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
There's a whole load of holes in the sill (sorry, rocker!) panel where the plastic cover clips in - nice big ones to let road spray, wash water etc in. Inside the rear wheel arch, there are a couple of holes that are supposed to be covered by bitumen patches - all the ones I've seen have either been missing, or partially detached - they will let road spray into the inner wings (fender?) area where it can run into the back of the rocker structure and the foam.

Pull the cover panels off (the lower clips on my 16 seem to be unavailible separately - but are identical to GM Moulding retainers - Dorman 963-567D from Autozone etc) and you can see the holes. You can then use the same holes with a compressed air lance to blow the foam out - you can't get it all out, but maybe 95% - it sits in the crevices between the spot welded panels - but if you then use a rust prevention cavity wax/fluid (generic name in the UK is Waxoyl - but I used Noxudol 700 which came out good in a 3 yr test carried out by a UK Classic Car magazine - it seems to be available in the USA too) I'm hoping it will be a lot better than the foam - especially in the UK were it is pretty damp most of the time, and we use a lot of salt on the roads in winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's a whole load of holes in the sill (sorry, rocker!) panel where the plastic cover clips in - nice big ones to let road spray, wash water etc in. Inside the rear wheel arch, there are a couple of holes that
This sounds like a helpful recommendation.
Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts