Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on putting a supercharger on this upcoming year. I was reading that the stock internals only hold up to 500hp and to not go more then 8 lbs of boost. I want to put heads and a cam on it. I was looking into a 426 stroker but that's more money I don't want to spend so I've up to just get forged internals. What would be a ball park figure of have them installed. Thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I have 20K miles on stock internals making 570 bhp @ 8 lbs. and no problems. Many others making as much or more on stock internals. Perhaps you were referring to rwhp and not bhp?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was rwhp. I also heard the rear axles hold up to 600

·
Registered
251 Posts
The reality is there is no specific set in stone answer. We all have opinions and even when people provide real world data..you will have experts on these boards telling u otherwise. When u hotrod crap is going to break eventually.

As far as boost. .outside that max number ur talking about is the tune!! Very important. I have been running over 10lbs for quite a while on my 5.7 with probably a couple hundred passes at the drag strip. Been great so far but reality is it will more than likely break at some point.

I honestly think 8lbs without changing ur internals at all with a good tune will give u years of enjoyment. ..on the axles..well a lot of factors involved..auto or standard..drag radials or slick or street tires...track prep and on and on.

Good luck with ur decision

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I figured as much. I'm just checking oneverything I might run into

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I know some people running 600whp with nothing more than forged pistons as the motor comes from the factory with a billet crank and forged rods. Shouldn't be much for that. If you're curious then PM Vinny32 and tell him I sent you.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I think it was rwhp. I also heard the rear axles hold up to 600
As said, the tune is critical. I have an off-the-shelf tune that came from Vortech designed for 8 psi. It has very safe parameters with a lot of head room. A custom tune can get more out of set-up provided the tuner knows what they are doing. You push the envelope too much and, Kaboom, you're on your way to a new stroker motor.

Mine is an '09 M6. I broke an axle on drag radials when I was still N/A with just the basic bolt-ons. Axle upgrades are a must if you're going to launch it hard with sticky tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I'll stick with the s/c for now Ive never been to the track just messed around on the street.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the whole breaking thing when you mod I guess I'm asking what the next weak link will be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now what about throttle body's I was thinking about getting a 87 mm before I do the sc is it worth it to put one on I've read mixed results

1 - 13 of 13 Posts