Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be building a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for my RT doing the usual fiberglass mold of one of the rear corners in the trunk. Over the years I’ve built many of these and the car always smells of that nasty resin odor for days. This time I’m thinking of doing the mold outside of the vehicle by pulling out the trunk interior panel, and making the mold outside of the car. No mess, no smell in the car etc. Has anyone here ever tried it this way? Looks like the interior panel will hold their shape outside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I will soon be building a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for my RT doing the usual fiberglass mold of one of the rear corners in the trunk. Over the years I’ve built many of these and the car always smells of that nasty resin odor for days. This time I’m thinking of doing the mold outside of the vehicle by pulling out the trunk interior panel, and making the mold outside of the car. No mess, no smell in the car etc. Has anyone here ever tried it this way? Looks like the interior panel will hold their shape outside of the vehicle.
They won't. They're flimsy fiberboard. Don't even attempt to do this outside the car or the finished product won't fit properly.

Leave the trunk open the whole time and do it over a weekend when you won't need to drive the car. Afterward hit it with febreeze and leave some baking soda in the trunk. Just sprinkle some around or leave a little mound in a cup for a few days. Sodium bicarbonate should be the answer for resin fumes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second that....... i pulled mine out and it came out with a diffrent shape since the fiber board doesn't hold the same shape when its outside the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts