Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... for some background info. I was recently stationed in Germany again and a couple years ago I got the Speedlogix ram air hood (Fiberglass). Over on the Autobahn, the interstate system, the have some portions that have unrestricted speeds. The last time I was stationed here I had my Challenger for one year before moving back stateside. During that time I had definitely noticed that the car would flat some at speeds above 120mph. For those that may be unaware there are sections of the Autobahn where there are no sped restrictions. The last time I was here during those sections I would hit 120-140mph comfortably and cruise at those speeds. However, I noticed that the front end would "float" during those sustained speeds. So I decided, in anticipation of returning here, to get a front splitter and rear diffuser from Luke at steve White motors. I removed the front splitter for the Shipment of the vehicle and shipped it with my household goods, which haven't arrived yet. So I am unable to report how the splitter has functioned at those high speeds.

I have however driven two times on the Autobahn since returning and have taken it easy because of the SX ram air hood that I also added to the car. Today I hit 110mph as a cruising speed, but was leery about going faster. The hood definitely seemed to "bounce", but it didn't look like it was pulling up. I do have Aero latches as a secondary means of securing the he along with the factory latch. I am more so concerned with the scoop.

What I am wondering is, is what could I expect as far as the structural integrity of the fiberglass. Will I suddenly see the scoop fly off while maintaining speeds over 110mph for several miles or more. Or do I have nothing to worry about. I don't really know much about the tensile strength of fiberglass and what to expect. I did slowly adjust my speed so that I could evaluate what I could see, but I don't what to cause any stress fractures or permanent damage. It's not that I need to go that fast, but if I do I would like to know it'll be ok. Just curious as to what the community thinks. Thanks for any input you all have.

Tim ImageUploadedByAG Free1503170032.050231.jpg

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts guys... Well here's another random question that I've been trying to find a good answer to. What size tires are best up front for cornering? Lots of guys say they have gone to 275, but is there an advantage. I currently have 245s (Nitto 555 G2) up front, but wonder if there would be any benefit to going wider. I have found some sites where some "engineers" go into the physics and basically rant on and on, but they are often confusing and become long debates with no clear answer. What I would like to know is wider better when driving twisty roads, which here in Germany have an automatic speed limit of 62mph(100kph) unless otherwise posted. Thanks guys....

Tim

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts
I am no expert, but here's what I think. The stock suspension was designed for the stock wheel/tire size. Going wider on wheels changes the suspension, and offset comes in to play as well.

Now, if we're talking stock wheels, and just increasing tire size, the tire patch shape will change. Assuming equal tire qualities of construction, I'd think you would net some handling moving from 245 to 275. The diameter, sidewall height, and circumference all stay the same, so rollover should also. The patch would change to more rectangular, so in lateral grip, that would seem to be beneficial. The question is how much difference you net? Is it worth changing out tires JUST for this?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Here's a roundup of the what the Widebody Hellcats ('18) can do:

OEM tire was 275/40 -20 and WB option has 305/35 - 20 tires (11" wide wheels on WB)

.1 and .3 seconds less in 0-60 / 1/4mi times over std Hellcat (275/40 tires)

lateral grip increased to .97g

lap times on track reduced by 2 seconds on track lap times

2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody at the track

Widebody Challenger Hellcat - 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody

Imagine why the SRTs went to 275/40 std vs the old 245/45 size they ran for years. More tread / contact patch to grip the road with.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Every thing you guys mentioned makes sense and is what I was thinking. Just wanted to get some opinions to make sure I was on the right track. I currently have 315s out back on widen stock wheels. I don't plan to necessarily get new fronts just to go wider since the tires are still new. I suppose I should have thought about this when I ordered them. The point that the new SRTs went wider up front is valid and I forgot about that. I may just go 275 all around when I need to replace my all-seasons on my other wheels. They will need replacing in about a year. Although I wish those wheels were widened out back as well. Thanks again guys.

Tim

·
Registered
404 Posts
On another forum speedlogix said in 2014 that the hood was tested of sustained speeds of 155 mph……others have said they have had theirs up to 140 mph no problems.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another forum speedlogix said in 2014 that the hood was tested of sustained speeds of 155 mph……others have said they have had theirs up to 140 mph no problems.

Thanks. I’ve looked for threads relating to this but haven’t found them. Thank you for the input. I got back to Germany quite a few months ago and haven’t had a chance to drive the Challenger much, because I deployed shortly thereafter. I’ll be getting back in a couple weeks now, but will have to wait out the rest of winter there. Afterwards I’ll push her and see how things go and report back. Take care.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts