Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a water spot problem on my paint. Does anyone know of a filter type system that can be attached to an outdoor faucet to filter the water prior to it being dispensed?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
you need a water softener system on your home. its great for your skin also.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a water spot problem on my paint. Does anyone know of a filter type system that can be attached to an outdoor faucet to filter the water prior to it being dispensed?
....there are several solutions that will at least help and most of the ones I can think of have been mentioned here (whole house filtration/softener, inline softener, DI system and a handheld like the Mr Clean).

Personally, I use a combination of a sediment and soft water filter as well as DI filtration similar to the CRS DIC-10 mentioned by Speedy (I have the CRS DIC-20). I use the sediment/soft water filtration for washing and rinsing. I then use my DI (deionized) water for a final rinse (chasing all of the tap water from the panels and crevices). I have “quick connects” on my hoses so I can easily hook up the tap to my filters.

The media in the soft water filter can “rejuvenated” by simply soaking it in a bucket of water with sodium tablets (same as you would use with some home soft water systems). Very economical but “so-so” as far as effectiveness. It will really depend on the hardness of the water in your area. Unfortunately for me, ours is quite bad.

As for the exchange resin in the CRSpotless, it needs to be replaced periodically. ….as for how often, it will really depend on the quality of your water and how you use it. The resin is relatively expensive though and it is better to buy it by the cubic foot rather than small packs. I used to have a cheap source that sold Tulsion mix bed resin but ever since they ran out I have had no luck obtaining more. If you buy it from CRS, it is ~$220 per cu/ft IIRC. I get a little more than 3 full refills on my DIC-20. ….you could get more than that on the DIC-10 due to the smaller canisters. The alternative is to recharge the resin yourself, but it is somewhat of a process that involves using chemicals like lye and muratic acid. The up side is that the resin can apparently be recharged indefinitely. ….there are plenty of write ups on the internet for anyone interested.

Here is a shot of my sediment and soft water filter:

….and this is my CRS DIC-20:

The soft water filter *helps* but (I don’t know if Speedy would agree) my CRS has got to be one of the best detailing tools I ever purchased. I not only use it for my vehicles but also the windows on my home periodically. It really depends on needs and budget though.

I know a couple of folks who use the MR Clean system and are quite happy. Personally, I tried it just for kicks when it first hit the market and was less than impressed with the bulkiness and especially the water delivery (pressure on the final rinse was inadequate). However, that has apparently been improved in later versions from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
damn!! thats a lot of coin to get a spot free rinse. I just wipe down with a chamois and i dont get the spots
….yeah, I suppose its all in how you look at it. The advantage of a system like this would greatly depend on your specific needs/scenario and whether or not you stand to gain from any of the added benefits (it's all relative).

As many of us know, tap water consists of various metals, salts, minerals, inorganic/organic materials, etc. Some of these components are what cause “hard water” (magnesium and calcium usually being the biggest culprits). The higher the concentration of these minerals, the harder the water and the more likely spotting will become an issue. Just to give you an idea of just how bad my particular situation is, when using a TDS meter (measuring total dissolved solids), my tap water typically measures >500ppm. I have found that spotting will typically begin to occur ~20-30ppm (the point I usually replace my resin). The severity/stubbornness of those spots will increase as the concentration of solids does.

It is difficult to wash my cars (using traditional methods and unfiltered water) without getting some degree of spotting in areas. As it is, I already wash my vehicles indoors (out of the Sun and while the panels are cool to the touch). DI water clearly helps me in this regard but I bought it for other reasons as well. For instance, I don’t have to dry my car in the conventional sense. Without DI water, I will usually use the flood method to disperse as much water from the surfaces of the car as possible and then (typically) use waffle weave micro fiber towels to blot/gently wipe away any remaining water (using compressed air to blow out crevices). Any spotting/drips found after the fact, I would take of with a quick detailer and plush MF towels.

My current process usually involves washing the car, using the DI water as the final rinse and then air drying with a blower and/or compressed air. It’s easier for me, a little quicker and I have less contact with the paint. What’s more is that I no longer have to race to get the car dry. …..although I wish my water wasn’t so bad that I would have the need for such a system though. :(

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly. My water is in the 300ppm TDS and it's awful trying to wash the car without the filter. No matter how fast I dry it I get nasty spots and end up having to detail the whole car with detailer if I don't use my filter.

It averages out to about $10 a wash and well worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey Speedy, I used to obtain my resin from a company called Windows101 for about $130 per cu/ft. Ever since they ran dry, I have been keeping an eye out for another supplier and periodically checking with W101 to see if they ever got more in. If I hear any news, I’ll let you know.

….about a couple of months ago, a fellow member (a detailer) on the Autopia forum said he was going to get his hands on a pallet of the Tulsion that W101 used to sell. He was extending a deal to others in the community. Unfortunately, I never heard if he obtained the product or not. ….I hate paying full price for this stuff.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'm still just using the inline jobbie. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $350 for the big boy.

Since I don't drive my car in bad weather I can usually get by with one was every other week, so my inline lasts me 20-24 weeks which is enough to get me through spring/summer. In the winter obviously I don't wash it near as often.
...ooops, sorry. I got you and Mekanic mixed up as far as the DI systems you guys were using.

Yeah, I bought my DIC-20 through Costco (they were on of the cheapest). They included an extra resin replacement, hose and a couple of other little things IIRC. Glad the Griots in-line filter is working well for you.

(sorry for the thread-jack OP)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Still have a few months till I'm out of a deep freeze but I'll be looking into one of these systems. My outside water points are not hooked up to my water softener so my paint always has horendous spots regardless of what I do. One of these setups should help.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks guys! Exactly what I was looking for. Still have a few months till I'm out of a deep freeze but I'll be looking into one of these systems. My outside water points are not hooked up to my water softener so my paint always has horendous spots regardless of what I do. One of these setups should help.
....hope you find a solution that works. :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
.....fyi Mekanic (and others looking for resin), I just received an e-mail from Windows101 regarding a new DI system they are selling but more importantly, it appears they are selling the Thermax resin again (that I mentioned earlier). Price has gone up from $95 (to $115) but it's still much cheaper than anywhere else I have found. ....just a heads up.

(Windows101)

·
Banned
903 Posts
As Cuda340 mentioned earlier the Mr Clean system works amazingly well for the money. I was very sceptical about it until I tried it and I was very impressed. Main reason I bought it was because I have 2 Harley's that have a ton of chrome on them, it was a major PIA every time I washed them having to polish every piece of chrome on them. Using the Mr Clean system I don't have to do all the polishing to get the water spots off. Now for some reason I have been having a hard time finding the repalcement filter's & soap, I use to buy it at Walmart all the time but they haven't had any the last 2-3 times I've been looking for it.
Anyone have an online source for refills for the Mr. Clean system?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Well you're out of luck. The mr clean system has dissapeared from shelves. The only place you'll (maybe not even any more) find em is on ebay. I'd start looking into another system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts