Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a set of paddle shifters, but I'm not sold on installing them. $250.00 on a Tazer to activate them seems a bit steep. I figure there may be a way to activate them without having to go the Tazer route. They look like they might just get in the way, I don't know? I don't need them, but I thought I might find a use for them. They would be more practicle with a 5 speed transmission, but whatever. So, why did I purchase them? I like stuff! :)

Here's what I got...

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

Keep checking the sites as I got my Tazar for 140 with the extra UB2 adapter, so you might get lucky as seen them on the 3 sites for as low as a 100.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
506 Posts
Honestly, I don't use mine much (I use the sunroof more...Hahaha) but when I do. I downshift with the paddle and upshift with the gear lever.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I never use mine either. The sunroof sees way more usage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My car came with them, I don't use them much. I also have a set on the shelf from my old RT lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Should have bought the Hellcat/ SRT Shift Paddles. I use mine all the time. The 8 Speed loves them, and FCA Engineering did a great job setting the car up.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They should have mounted them on the column, not the wheel. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Paddle Shifters seem so Play Station.
That's' exactly what they look like, yet I find myself strangely drawn to them...o_O

I'd rather not have to load Tazer into my RT. Can a dealership load the necessary drivers to activate the paddles? Even if I don't use them, I think they would add to the resale value, especially with the younger crowd.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
I use them constantly, mainly for downshifting. Or on the twisties I like to use them. Normal driving, I use the shift handle in M mode. I LOVE the reverse pattern slap stick style over all the other companies out there.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Canceled my order. No paddles for Johnny. :)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Canceled my order. No paddles for Johnny. :)
A good decision IMHO.

My Hellcat came with paddles. Used them once in a while but only in a straight line. With the wheel turned they were often not reachable. As someone noted the paddles should have moved with the wheel.

Often then in manual stick mode I had to use the shift lever rathar than the paddles.

Paddles -- mainly the +paddle -- were ok in normal driving but for the best hard acceleration I let the transmission shift. It is far better at shifting right before red line then I.

At one point the +paddle would initiate a downshift. New PCM/TCM firmware "fixed" this anomaly.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A good decision IMHO.

My Hellcat came with paddles. Used them once in a while but only in a straight line. With the wheel turned they were often not reachable. As someone noted the paddles should have moved with the wheel.

Often then in manual stick mode I had to use the shift lever rathar than the paddles.

Paddles -- mainly the +paddle -- were ok in normal driving but for the best hard acceleration I let the transmission shift. It is far better at shifting right before red line then I.

At one point the +paddle would initiate a downshift. New PCM/TCM firmware "fixed" this anomaly.
Yeah, that was me. A stationary shifter on the column would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I never use them and really find them an annoyance. Once in a while I will touch them without knowing it and discover I have to shift out of 1st gear if I don't want the engine revving any more than it is when leaving a traffic light. Sometimes I use the shift knob; but, when I do I actually know I'm using it.

Turn mine "off" during delivery of my '16.
How did you do that?

Reactions: Sweet Orange Hemi

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I never use them and really find them an annoyance. Once in a while I will touch them without knowing it and discover I have to shift out of 1st gear if I don't want the engine revving any more than it is when leaving a traffic light. Sometimes I use the shift knob; but, when I do I actually know I'm using it.

How did you do that?
On my '16 SP, you can change several "settings" through the 8.4 center screen.

Not sure about other models/years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
From my 2016 Manual

A Guy

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
had them on pickups and vettes. Never used them other then to try them. New autos on the newer challengers are probably smarter then you. might be some advantage on a 5 speed but it would be minor.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
... With the wheel turned they were often not reachable. As someone noted the paddles should have moved with the wheel.
I don't understand, they are attached to the wheel, so your fingers are always on them. And with the Hellcat/SRT paddles, they are even larger and easier to use. They are primarily used for track style driving, or just fun. Not for drag racing, can't beat plain old auto mode for that.
If anyone doesn't want their SRT style ones, let me know!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts