Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...and a Great Article. Read the part where Cops lets the Hellcat speed away from him, and states "that he could not have gotten away with that in the ZL1." 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs. 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Page 2

Q: "On the highway we got our first real preview of the kind of reaction the two musclecars inspire. Evans and I were motoring along the freeway heading back into L.A. He led in the Challenger with me following close behind in the Camaro, when all of a sudden a California Highway Patrol Explorer made a beeline for us. The cop slowly passed me on the right, eyeing me as he moved up to flank the Challenger. The officer matched the Hellcat's speed for a good minute or two and I was convinced we were seconds away from getting pulled over.
All of a sudden the Hellcat's Hemi roared to life as the Challenger sat back on its rear haunches and the car rocketed forward, right next to the Highway Patrol. "Way to go, Evans," I thought to myself as the Explorer raced forward to match his speed. Then something beyond strange happened: We didn't get pulled over. The cop dropped his pace and I could see he was holding up his phone, filming the Hellcat in all its glory. I pinched myself. Is this real life? I'd be in cuffs if I attempted the same thing in the Camaro. My phone rang seconds later. "Please tell me you saw that!" Evans exclaimed, as he went on to explain that the cop had motioned for him to make a quick highway pull. Never in our entire lives have either of us ever seen the feared CHP appreciate a car -- let alone a blue-collar Dodge Challenger -- in such a way."

Q: "Ultimately, this is America, and in America, like in baseball, there are no ties. The Challenger Hellcat comes out on top. Its focus on power, presence, and straight-line performance shows that the Dodge boys still know how to make a killer musclecar after years of being consistently stomped on by Chevrolet and Ford. As capable and well-balanced as the Camaro ZL1 is, the Challenger SRT Hellcat cements itself as the ultimate musclecar. Like the musclecars of the late '60s and early '70s, it's built to be a street king with some serious power under the hood, and it looks the part with its new drool-worthy sheetmetal. The Hellcat proves that the heyday of the musclecar wasn't 45 years ago -- it's now."

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They got a 3.7 second 0-60....

[email protected]. Pardon my french but that is awesome. I need one of these BAD.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
cool article...loved the pics with the vintage aircraft...but the Hellcat a "blue collar" car? I don't think so

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, fitting as the F-8 Bearcat was smaller and lighter than the F-6F. It entered the war just as it was ending. It's performance characteristics exceeded the P-51 in many aspects.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,524 Posts
The October 2014 issue of Motor Trend also had some other great quotes and performance figures. Here are some of them:

"The ZL1 was the poster child of consistency with a 3.9 sec. 0-60 mph run, blasting through the quarter mile in 12.2 sec. at 116 mph. That's fast any way you look at it, and yet the Dodge makes the Chevy feel oh so slow...The drag-race-ready Challenger's best 0-60 mph run was with a 2nd gear start, resulting in a 3.7 sec. time, and impressive quarter-mile performance of 11.7 sec. at a stupid fast 125.4 mph. That trap speed doesn't embarrass ZL1 owners alone, but both Nissan GT-R Nismo and Porche 911 Turbo S owners, too."

"The Challenger pretends to be nothing else than a straight-line dragster...The quickest way around the figure eight ultimately was the old tried and true racing mantra of slow-in and fast out..the result is still pretty impressive...with a 24.7 sec. figure eight time with a 0.85 average g, and a 0.94 lateral g average skidpad performance (Note- The ZL1's numbers were 24.0, 0.85 and 0.99)."

"It'll do the most glorious drifts you can possibly imagine as it shreds through its rear tires."

"The Hellcat feels like it was developed by Hot Rod's Freiburger and Finnegan."

"Public reaction to our Challenger, and to a lesser extent our Camaro, remained strong throughout the day...when we visited Irwindale Speedway for Thursday night drag racing, it became pretty clear which had more street presence. From the moment we pulled into the lots, it was obvious which car the crowds cared more about. People immediately began flocking to the Hellcat, leaving the poor Camaro alone in line."

"Street presence is an important criterion. Simply put, the challenger SRT Hellcat has tons and the Camaro ZL1 has considerably less."

"Musclecars are supposed to be as much about the show as they are about the go. Dodge proves that it still understands that with the new Challenger."

""According to K & N's dyno results, the Hellcat puts down 635 hp and 591 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. Assuming a 12% drivetrain loss, that means the Hellcat puts out about 722 ho at the crank...(and) 672 lb-ft."

"The speedo stopped reading at 202 mph, but the car kept accelerating to above 225 mph when it over-sped the dyno."

"The Hellcat Hemi has a burly exhaust note and a wicked supercharger whine while hustling."

Performance Data: Hellcat vs ZL1:

0-30 mph= 1.8 sec. (ZL1- 1.6 sec.)
0-40 mph= 2.4 sec. (2.2 sec.)
0-50 mph= 3.0 sec. (3.0 sec.)
0-60 mph= 3.7 sec. (3.9 sec.)
0-70 mph= 4.6 sec. (4.9 sec.)
0-80 mph= 5.5 sec. (6.1 sec.)
0-90 mph= 6.5 sec. (7.5 sec.)
0-100 mph= 7.7 sec. (8.9 sec.)
45-65 mph passing= 1.4 sec. (1.8 sec.)

1/4 mile= 11.7 sec. @125.4 mph (12.2 sec. @116.6 mph)

*The Hellcat was listed as 7th fastest vehicle ever tested by Motor Trend. It was only behind the following:

2005 Bugatti Veyron- 987 hp
2014 McLaren P1- 904 hp
2014 Porche 918 Spyder- 887 hp
2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake- 850 hp
2006 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo- 750 hp
2014 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta- 731 hp

·
Registered
669 Posts
"The speedo stopped reading at 202 mph, but the car kept accelerating to above 2225 mph when it over-sped the dyno."

I knew this thing was gonna be fast, but this is ridiculous! :)

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
After years if getting stomped on by ford and Chevy? I'm glad I missed those years...

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
I'm content with my purchase (but still awaiting delivery) of the R/T Scat Pack 392 as my first muscle car in 34 years, but I'm proud to be entering the Challenger family headed by such a worthy big brother model as the Hellcat.

My favorite quote of the article is this:

"The Camaro ZL1 was the poster child for consistency with a 3.9-second 0-60-mph run, blasting through the quarter mile in 12.2 seconds at 116.6 mph. That's fast any way you look at it, and yet the Dodge makes the Chevy feel oh so slow." (emphasis added)

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
This statement is amazing. Think of the cost of some of those cars.

. . . *The Hellcat was listed as 7th fastest vehicle ever tested by Motor Trend. It was only behind the following:

2005 Bugatti Veyron- 987 hp
2014 McLaren P1- 904 hp
2014 Porche 918 Spyder- 887 hp
2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake- 850 hp
2006 Saleen S7 Twin Turbo- 750 hp
2014 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta- 731 hp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts