Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in yesterday for factory Mopar recalls. It appears there are 4 in total. I don't like people touching my car so there's that issue to deal with all in itself. Hopefully after they get new timing chain and upgraded tension shoes in place the motor will never grenade...lol. Only have 26,454 miles so it was way under mileage before engine issues could go south. The other stuff was 2 airbags and 1 for fire extinguisher? What the heck could last recall be all about?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I waited ten years for my 2010 timing chain recall. I wanted the most life out of it possible . Less than a year later the car was totaled. So much for that ...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MDS/Automatic cars only right?
Yep - NAG1 5-speed auto trans on mine. I don't drive it that much. At least coolant gets flushed out and replaced with OEM plus oil changed as well - I'm cheap these days. While I'm up there, might as well pick up OEM serpentine belt. My original belt has probably dry rotted after 12.5 years and I can get it installed with recall labor.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,741 Posts
This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).

A Guy
Good info there. Most of us old timers have a stack of mail notices reaching 1ft by now if they're still holding out...lol

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts

A Guy
Boy oh boy, brings back memories and the horror stories.

FCA finally got it right, but it wasn't quick or easy.

Wheel Tire Car Hood Automotive tire

My P01'd pre P01 ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
CA forced me to do the timing chain recall in 2015. I was nervous as hell since I hate people touching my car, especially digging into the engine. Everything went well but had to fix the leaky thermostat housing and replace 2 splash shield bolts that feel out when I got it home.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I waited ten years for my 2010 timing chain recall. I wanted the most life out of it possible . Less than a year later the car was totaled. So much for that ...
Sorry to hear about that loss. At least you're okay and matters the most.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
... and 1 for fire extinguisher? What the heck could last recall be all about?
What??? Nobody else caught this? Can you post a picture of the recall notice?

Reactions: Robo

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,741 Posts
Fire extinguisher recall

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What??? Nobody else caught this? Can you post a picture of the recall notice?
The Moderator found the info on this recalled item. I didn't see anything on actual recall notice (it was handed over when checking car in) but Service Manager at dealership mentioned/referenced such. When they check the trunk they'll see my installed junkyard space-saver tire & jack with factory air pump tucked underneath.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Dealership is waiting on parts package since they don't do many timing chain recalls anymore...take note old timers, who are still holding out on this procedure.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The fire extinguisher recall is for a dealer-accessory unit. Very few were actually sold but due to the nature of the sale process the only way to recall them was to send a note to everone that could have possibly ended up with one. Sometimes you gotta fire a couple hundred rounds to hit one bird.

Reactions: Robo

·
Registered
442 Posts
I get phone call recalls on my 2014 for last 2 years I think, don't answer them....recall on air bags....I know they will tear out the dash and all kinds of crap so haven't done it. Only way is if I call my dealer and say I'll bring it in if they do a free "turn off the MDS".....that would save me the trouble of always hitting the shifter paddle to take MDS off. Doubt they will do it...?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get phone call recalls on my 2014 for last 2 years I think, don't answer them....recall on air bags....I know they will tear out the dash and all kinds of crap so haven't done it. Only way is if I call my dealer and say I'll bring it in if they do a free "turn off the MDS".....that would save me the trouble of always hitting the shifter paddle to take MDS off. Doubt they will do it...?
I debated on doing chain for over 6 years and felt the same on someone messing with it. We like doing long trips on freeways and getting 30mpg helps avoid multiple gas stops. Now after 12.5 years of owning this car, might as well get that plastic/stationary tension shoe off the driver's side before it snaps. Airbags are simple on this car since it's couple of screws and they pop out of wheel and drop out of dash above glove box location.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you do a lot of highway driving and keep MDS active, it is worth your while to do this recall. A chain guide can fracture and the chain will jump and bad things will happen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On the subject of recalls......had FCA do my '12 R/T M6 car's alternator recall, seems they thought the original alternator was prone to catching on fire and causing grief. My car had 105,000 miles on it when I had the stealership do that one, asked if they had any more free parts they'd like to give away.
123,000 miles now and going strong here, no timing chain recall on M6 cars from what I'm gathering for my model year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts