Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that I am going to go for a new RT in Phantom Black with 6 speed. There are a lot of incentives going on right now and it seems like the time to buy. I have been reading horror stories regarding the 5.7 hemi and early timing chain/tensioner failure. I saw a pic of the chain and I have to say it looks pretty thin and weak as compared to other timing chains I have changed over the years. I have heard that auto challengers are affected mostly because of the cylinder deactivation system but I have also heard of manual challengers having failure. I guess I would like to know what you guys/girls think of your RT's and if you would purchase again if you had the option.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Congrats in advance! I have the M6 and I'm pretty confident the timing chain issue only applied to older A5s. You are gonna love your RT, if a big heavy car is your thing. I think they drive real nice, have plenty of torque and are quite comfortable! It's a win win!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm not worried. with full knowledge of what happened (is happening) with the 2009-2010 TC issue in regards to MDS I ordered my 2013. seems like the issue was dealt with and possibly Chrysler sharing engineering info relating to the failures relatively soon.

I traded a 2011 Ford Mustang (which I really liked) for my R/T Classic and never regretted it a minute. do what makes you comfortable, and happy...

good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I run a LX based car club here in Central OH and for all of the talk on this forum about 5.7 timing chain failures I haven't heard of one in our club and we have quite a few 5.7s. Not to say it isn't happening... I think Luke at Steve White Motors reports they haven't seen one timing chain failure at their dealership.

Anyway... not to start a battle about the timing chain... I had an '09 SE and ended up ordering a '13 RT.. love the car... it is a blast to own except in Winter when I have it in storage... lol

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I have heard that auto challengers are affected mostly because of the cylinder deactivation system but I have also heard of manual challengers having failure.
Really? I don't remember reading about a 6-speed failure.

And yes the chains could be a little bigger, don't know if they have been upgraded by now but I'm not worried.

pics from 2012
L-R: 2000 5.9 Magnum, 2005 non-MDS non-VVT 5.7 Hemi Ram, MDS 5.7 Hemi Challenger, 1972 Schwinn bike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Could not be happier. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm currently working on a 2009 Challenger (Auto) that the timing chain broke. I currently work for an independent shop. While working for a Dodge dealership I saw one 2010 that had the timing chain broke (Auto). While working on this most recent challenger I purchased a 2014 Challenger R/T Blacktop (Just before Xmas). I bought the 6speed for two reasons - Hot rod should be a standard as far as Im concerned and I didn't want MDS. I have MDS on my RAM pickup and didn't really notice to much difference in MPG. With a 5/100k warranty I wouldn't worry about it.
One other note about the timing chain issue - With regards to the one I'm working on currently I believe that some indications were available prior to the chain breaking. Before I started the veh had a check engine code for the cam sensor. The tech replaced cam sensor but had issues with the relearn. Finally was able to get it to relearn when I started. Long story short may have had issues then with slack in timing chain. Looking at the broken parts I believe the guide was the root cause allowing the timing chain to have to much slack - this veh isn't a "babied" car.

Good luck on decision.

Big Al

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Be sure to have a look at the "Timing Chain failure on the Dodge Challenger" thread. There have been no reported failures of 6 speeds being affected or any 2012 or newer models. This is because there have been updated parts installed in 12+ models. I wouldn't be worried of the timing chain issue if you are getting a later model R/T. Honestly, If my dealer sold manual R/T's I would've went ahead with the 6 speed for sure. It sounds better (I am trying to keep my car stock as it is my DD) and more fun to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts