Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my car in the shop getting an engine swap, getting it back was the best day of my life. That was about 3 days ago. So far, I've plasti dipped my stock wheels black (I love black on black), I've painted my break calipers red, I stopped by my local Advanced Auto for some badge ideas, and ended up getting SE for my font grille (which I really thought would look better, but ehhh I'd like some feedback on that.) Lastly, I have ordered some red LED map lights from oracle. Here are some pictures. I know, I know, she's a little dirty in the last few pics because of a freak snowstorm and rain shower the previous day, but in the first two, I've never seen a car shine like that :bluecap: :jester:

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
The brakes look great. I'm wanting to do this on my car. What paint did you use and would you recommend it, or have any pointers?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After consulting with the guys at the dealership they said it's best to do it yourself rather than have a dealership do it (money wise) they quoted me 180 for i, as long as you follow some simple directions it's easy. I got some brake cleaner from Wally world for about $6, prayed a coat of that on, it dries in literally like 5 minutes, then I got some engine high gloss paint from Lowes for $6 as well. I just had enough time to do the front calipers due to rain, but you just put a coat on then let it dry for 10 minutes, then give it 2 or 3 more coats until you get the desired depth of color. I'm a novice and had the help of one of my buddies which help the time factor immensely. I used to jacks to raise the front end, removed the tires, then alternated coating the calipers. It was fairly easy. You just have to make sure your cover up the disc well. In all it took about an hour & a half from raising it up to putting the nuts back on the tires.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Gotcha. So you rattled canned them or brushed them on? And just used high temp engine enamel vs. specific caliper paint.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spray painted it on, but I should've brushed it on to avoid having to spray certain areas that are a little tough to reach, and I chose the enamel over the caliper paint. That was strictly for budget reasons and availability. I am at WVU and there is 1 advanced auto here, a wally world and lowes, I would've had to order the caliper paint, and I was a little antsy to get it done. Nonetheless, I'm satisfied with the work done. Hopefully tomorrow its sunny outside and I can get the back two knocked out and wash her up real good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts