Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are so many threads on exhaust, drone, reso deletes, etc, but I wanted to share what I have done and finally accomplished. This is on a 2010 Challenger R/T Auto. The first mod I did was to delete the "suitcase" muffler mid car, and replaced it with two Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers. The tone of the exhaust improved a lot, but after driving for a couple of months, I still wanted more. It needed to be a bit louder, and with better growl. So, I finally got brave enough to have the two rear resos deleted and replaced with straight pipes. When the car was first started, the sound was amazing! When I drove the car away from the shop, to my horror, the drone at 2000 - 2300 or so RPMs was terrible! I mean a head splitting sound that actually hurt my ears, and gave me a headache. So, today I went to a local muffler shop and had two straight thru resonators installed right behind the tips. This solved the drone sound, and gave me the most beautiful Hemi sound I have yet heard. Total cost is $300 for the two Flowmaster mufflers installed, and $250 for the two resos installed. We won't count the $150 I wasted just for the reso deletes, that was an experiment. Here is a link to a youtube vid of the sound I have now, but be aware this was recorded on a cell phone, it sounds amazing in person, deep tone, good growl, plenty loud enough for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Nothing special. No offense.
....what would make it "special"? It really depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I like a deep, low growl vs. a loud or "tin"-like note. The OP's example sounds like it is certainly louder than stock while not being too overpowering. These clips and input help those (like me) who are trying to find an exhaust solution.

Thanks for taking the time to post record and share this DeepWater. The recording isn't so great (like you said) but it gives you a pretty good idea how it sounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sound in the video is very nice in my opinion. Very similar to sound Im looking for in my SE if that is possible lol.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Those rear resonators are like removing two big heavy tumors. Replacing those with glass packs is a very good inexpensive mod that gives you louder sound than stock, but not overbearing. I did not touch my middle bottle mufflers as I have a manual and they flow pretty well. Good move replacing your suitcase muffles with the flow masters since you have an auto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice sound IMO. I have an auto and haven't touched the exhaust. I don't want too much attention but the stock sound doesn't cut it. I may try the resonators first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey DeepWaterBlue--I'm in the same boat you were in. I replaced the suitcase with FlowMaster 40 series and a while later deleted the resonators. I've been living with it for about 6 months or more now. It sounds good to drive around town, but once you get on the highway the drone can be annoying.

When you say you had "straight through resonators" put on, what brand were you talking? How does the drone compare to what it was before?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I'm sure it sounds great but my notebook speakers are not doing it justice. Glad you're happy with the final solution. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I believe you could have just put the MBRP catbacks on and got the sound you wanted. Mellow at the idle, but the strong classic MOPAR Muscle car sound when you get on it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I did this mod some time ago on my 5.7 Magnum and let me tell you, the sound will only get better. It will get a little bit louder as the "glass" burns out, but will still sound great. You will also get a better sound without the drone too. I have driven mine on a few trips and there is no drone at all. Anywhere from 60 to 100 mph, you will not hear any drone. I will admit that there is a very minor drone for the first five minutes or so on the first cold start of the day, but this is still not as bad as it was without the reso's. My wife drives it now, daily, and loves the sound and the looks that she gets. We are old farts, and it doesn't get any better than this! I guarantee you that we would not put up with the drone issue!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"When you say you had "straight through resonators" put on, what brand were you talking? How does the drone compare to what it was before?"

The resonators are Flowmaster Outlaw race mufflers, not sure what the model number is. They are straight thru, you can see right thru them. And as for the drone, on a scale of one to 10, it went from a 10 to a 1. The tone at the RPMs that was killing me is now a pleasant part of the overall exhaust range. The overall loudness of the exhaust lost a couple of DB also, say going from volume setting 7 to a 5. It is absolutely way louder than stock. I will do some better video with a real camera, inside and out. I was just so happy, I wanted to get something posted. I know there are other systems I could have used, but the full cat backs were $1200 or so, I didn't have that to spend all at once. The cost for this setup is around $550, not counting the $150 I spent just to have the resos removed. But I had to know how that would sound, so I took the intermediate step.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try putting exhaust cutouts between the mufflers and the resonators. That way you can have the sound you want and no drone when on the highway. Mine are after the cats and are loud as @$#* but fun for playing around.

·
Registered
688 Posts
On my setup, I bought the cheapest racing glass packs that Summit had at that time. They were about $19 each and still holding good. I've had them on there for about three years now. You can also see all the way through them too. There is no need to spend big bucks on these!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice sound IMO. I have an auto and haven't touched the exhaust. I don't want too much attention but the stock sound doesn't cut it. I may try the resonators first.
Try Blastin Bob's resonator delete kit for about a $100, i got lot's of compliments. I'm going with kooks header's cat backs and corsa exhaust next spring, to go even better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe you could have just put the MBRP catbacks on and got the sound you wanted. Mellow at the idle, but the strong classic MOPAR Muscle car sound when you get on it.

That's exactly how I want mine to sound. Mellow at idle, but nice muscle car when I give it a little umph! Mine is an auto too a 6.1, Would it sound the way USMC described if I did the MBRP catbacks?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts