Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo as many of you all know I ran a nitrous based 5.7 for a couple of years now. If anyone does a search on my name you will find that I’ve product tested the MCLeod RXT clutch for the manual community( by this I mean I found out the hard way how terrible it is), I’ve done gear swaps, Cam installs and various other things. I say that all to say that I’ve had a lot of fun breaking my car so now I’m going to try to build it better this time. Reason for this threat is back in March prior to Covid-19 messing up the world, I finally paid my nitrous dues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after this little pre-4th of July Pyro technic display, I’m now forced with decisions to make. 1 put the car back together with a new intake manifold and replacement wiring, or 2 build this
IMG_2598.jpg

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In case anyone is worried both me and the car are ok, the damage done to the car isn’t all that bad and I have the majority of the replacement parts currently. Here is the after effects
IMG_2818.jpg

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
Following, sounds FUN!!!

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is where I’m at. I tore down the very reasonably priced low mileage 6.4 to find out that 3 pistons had ring land damage. #1,#2,&#7. Luckily no damage to the cylinder walls have been found,but cam & main bearings will be getting replaced. Also one main bolt was missing so I’m going to replace all main bolts with main studs.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_2892.jpg

So at the moment I’ve got the block completely stripped down, with the exception of the oil squirters and the MDS delete plugs. I’ve already honed the block and have a very nice cross hatch going.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Today I came home to these awaiting me.

IMG_2912.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Following this thread. Curious to see more engine pics and the final outcome.

Also, how are you going to get to 6.4? New block or bore out the 5.7, or ??

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I will be using this intake initially but I’m strongly leaning towards getting the new Holley Snipper intake. This is setup with Hellcat injectors for now, Fore fuel rails and -8an fittings and line that I built for way less than the $150 price tag Fore charges for the install kit. I have an in tank walbarrol 450 pump and hat that I want to use as well, but I think I may need a second pump based on the boost lvls I’d like to run, so I’m looking into this as well. Lastly a boost reference regulator is on the way.
60332981734__F89A3F85-EBF0-4A7B-87AE-4CBF7BA9A8CD.jpg

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, how are you going to get to 6.4? New block or bore out the 5.7, or ??
I have a production 6.4, 4.090 bore spacing block. The factory 5.7 will be stroked later on to a 6.1 VVT motor using a 6.4 crank and custom piston and rod combination.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the rods that I selected
IMG_2903.jpg

Reactions: AeroF16

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The next big purchase will be a Custom Cam. I’ll post up once I get it picked out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
At least it was only damage to the pistons, which you were going to replace anyways! Probably why that motor came out, I expect the car was smoking/misfiring and running poorly.

I'm ignorant to this, is it only the SRT motors that are painted hemi orange? Never looked at anything other than a 6.2 or 6.4.

That also seems odd to me that it was 1, 2, and 7. Just random.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,855 Posts
I'm Glad to hear that you weren't hurt!

I'd have not only had to rebuild the car, but after seeing that fireball from the driver's seat, my shorts would need some rebuilding too! :eek:

I'm subscribing to see what you do with the new motor.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
557 Posts
Wow that's crazy, how much spray was that? What exactly caused the explosion, the intake manifold bust open or something? New build looks like it's gonna be a monster

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
At least it was only damage to the pistons, which you were going to replace anyways! Probably why that motor came out, I expect the car was smoking/misfiring and running poorly.

I'm ignorant to this, is it only the SRT motors that are painted hemi orange? Never looked at anything other than a 6.2 or 6.4.

That also seems odd to me that it was 1, 2, and 7. Just random.
So I want to use this as an informative threat as well as a build threat. Thank you for the great questions. I’m sure there is someone out there wondering the same thing. To Answer your question about block color (which is a great one). All 5.7 Hemi’s produce are black in color. If you have an orange block (Hemi Orange) you either have a 6.1 SRT block or a 6.4 block. The difference between the 6.1’s & 6.4’s are the bore size, and provision for the VVT Solenoid. The 6.1 bore size is 4.055 vs the 4.090 bored on the 6.4. There is however exceptions to every rule. The 6.2 Hemi’s are painted red if I’m not mistaken and the BGE 6.4 truck motors are also black (these BGE motors/ heads are very desirable as they are made of the same materials as the Hellcat engine but have the standard intake bolt holes, which make for great turbo builds. I hope to one day score a set of BGE heads and a block. One final note about the BGE platform, they have better cooling passages than the Scatpack/SRT Apache based engines.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow that's crazy, how much spray was that? What exactly caused the explosion, the intake manifold bust open or something? New build looks like it's gonna be a monster
So believe it or not it was a relatively small shot (100). The problem was my 2 step/WOT window switch failed. I was using a product that worked well for me for almost a year and a half, and then it didn’t (I will not bash this product, as it worked fine for nearly 2 yrs).

I was troubleshooting at the track thinking I had fixed the issues with it only to find out the nitrous control circuitry still didn’t work. Thus nitrous pulled in the intake manifold while 2stepping. The ignition cut then came back on and well you see the picture.

Thanks for the complement. I can only hope that it turns out as I envision.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm Glad to hear that you weren't hurt!

I'd have not only had to rebuild the car, but after seeing that fireball from the driver's seat, my shorts would need some rebuilding too! :eek:

I'm subscribing to see what you do with the new motor.
The funny thing about the Incident. When it happened I was super calm. It reminded me of Afghanistan when they drop bombs around chow time. I literally turned off the car,got out, went to the trunk, turned off the nitrous flow from the bottle. Then thought I hope they get that out soon. I think that helped save a bunch of parts.
IMG_2819.jpg

In case anyone was wondering that is what a blown plastic 5.7 intake looks like on the inside.

Reactions: FreddyG
1 - 20 of 319 Posts