Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

481 - 500 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
IMG_3814.jpg

The final result after several month of re-engineering. I can now fab up the pump to pan return line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
IMG_3874.jpg

So they finally came in. Things are progressing

Reactions: FreddyG and Race888

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Bet you and the UPS guy are good buddies by now ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
When you check the tolerances on your bearing clearance are you by any chance using plastic gauge? I've been a little Leary of using it but it does seem like a major time saver. ID mic would be good too, but those are pricey for a guy that wouldn't use one on a regular basis. I was a machinist for a few years in my youth and the shop had a set, it was so much faster than telescope/bore gauge then mic. Once I saw how pricey they are starting thinking about the plastic gauge.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #487 (Edited)
When you check the tolerances on your bearing clearance are you by any chance using plastic gauge? I've been a little Leary of using it but it does seem like a major time saver. ID mic would be good too, but those are pricey for a guy that wouldn't use one on a regular basis. I was a machinist for a few years in my youth and the shop had a set, it was so much faster than telescope/bore gauge then mic. Once I saw how pricey they are starting thinking about the plastic gauge.
McCloud, I did indeed use Plastigauge. It has worked for me thusfar. I will say that I used my dial caliper a bunch of times to verify that I did it correctly.

It's great to see how this is turning out. How long will it take before you mount the engine back?
Thank you for following along, I have had the engine mounted in the car for quite some time now.... I'm actually about to remount the transmission this weekend.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
So, I have some good news and some bad news...... Bad news first because it's the weekend and no one like to end on a bad note...... The fittings Hellion uses for their setup are -8AN.... Many of you may be thinking that's not a bad thing, but every turbo build I've ever seen uses -10an oil drain/return setup. I had my oil pan setup for a -10an bung. The Hellion pump uses a -8An line setup.... So in typical form throughout this build, I'm re-engineering the Hellion Kit yet again. I did reorder -8AN oil drain fitting for my turbo's as I did not want to cut up and reweld the Hellion drain pan (if it becomes a problem, I do have -10 bungs I can weld in later). I ordered 3/8NPT to -10AN male bung to replace the Scavenge pump outlet fitting, this way I can build a -10AN return line from the Pump to my pan. There is no way I'm to cut up my oil pan again...... Now for the good news. I ordered PTFE -8 & -6 fuel line for the fuel system. I also ordered the necessary fittings and a Fore dual 525 pump setup alone with the FC2 controller and all the necessary wiring. I already have a boost reference regulator, and a vacuum block, so things are really starting to take shape. All that is left to do on this beast is get a drive shaft made, and get the 3.73's (I got from McCloud) installed or the 3.55's. I want to start off with the 3.73's and see where it traps at from there. I think that is a good middle ground, if I need to go down I can, or if I need to go up I can, as I have 3.55,3.73,3.92 & 4.29 gearing for this car (I know I'm obsessive). Stay tuned, more to come, as I address all of the problems associated with a build like this.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #489 (Edited)
Haven't updated the cost break down in a while, just want to keep things accurate for folks;

$675 - Machine Work (balancing, line Honing & hot tanking Intake & Heads)
$585 - Manley Rods
$174.90 - Main Studs (Arp 244-5400)
$200 - Head Studs ( Arp 244-4300)
$494 - Comp HRT Stage2
$778.53 - DSS Pistons & Ring set
$250 - Miscellaneous engine bolts & tools
$225 - AN Style fittings & hoses (various sizes)
$500 - 6.1 intake
$100 - Fore Fuel Rail setup (bare used from this site)
$77 - boost reference regulator
$75 - front engine cover from member on this site. (Thx again for the hookup)
$80 - Rod/Main/Thrust bearings (King)
$1100 - DSS LvL5 Axels
$40 - Cam Bearings
$140.00 - Hellcat Head Gaskets
$59 - Windage Tray Gasket/Oil Pan Gasket
$250 - Complete SPohn Suspension setup (bought from FB Marketplace Orginal $430)
$45 - Billet Technology Water Pump housing
$20 - Shims for PSI-1515 springs
$15 - VVT Solenoid
$15 - VVT solenoid wiring harness to main harness
$30 - Vaacume Block for boost reference control
$45 - 3bar MAP
$40 - 2ba Map
$650 - Turbos (VSRacing 72/65 billet wheel) got a sale for Black Friday.
$5000 - Hellion turbo Kit (62mm turbo's 45mm Turbo Smart Waist Gate & Bov)
$460 - Turbo Smart EBoost2 Boost controller (purchased from Amazon 60mm unit)
$1453 - Deatchwerks 1500cc injectors (Ouch still)
$879 - Fore Dual Hat Setup & FC2 Controller with wiring (525lph pump and additional pump fittings)
$168 - Additional 525lph pump
$400 - Peterson Fluid system Mandrel and gear setup
$150 - Plugs (Denso Hellcat replacements pre-gapped @.025 )
$370 - ATI Balancer
$ 300 - 3.73 gears for Getrag diff (I acquired a couple of Spare Getrags from local guys moving to ZF diff which are not reflected in cost)

Items left to buy:
  • $1800 Monster Clutch assembly (Will get after break in period)
  • $950 Drive Shaft (Custom from Drivetrain Specialties)
  • $400 Lakewood 90/10 struts
  • $400 Hoosier Front runners
  • $500 miscellaneous turbo couplers and piping to eliminate most Silicone couplers
  • $400 Diff Brace
So I made some progress on a lot of my list, and spent way more money then I care to admit on this build (You all can tally it, I don't want to know anymore). The prices here are fairly accurate but do not reflect all that I spent. I did not include what I paid for the paint & body work, or the brake upgrade I did as part of this rebuild. I do not feel that it would be fair to include that money spent as most folks who do something like this, don't typically catch their cars on fire. I will say this, after seeing the break down on paper, I may have been better off starting with a Hellcat, as most will note if we are looking at this purely from a monetary stand point. That being said, I fully expect/hope this build will out perform any Hellcat/Redeye combination out there, as it has better components and bigger boost capabilities. Besides lets be honest, who buys a Hellcat and keeps it stock? More to come as I get closer each week

Reactions: Loopy and FreddyG

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,313 Posts
Side bar does anyone know of a decent powder coated in DC Maryland or Virginia. My guy took a break and I have no idea how long it’s going to take him to get back in business

Late to this thread, but loving every detail of it.

I used these guys in Manassas, VA to powdercoat my sidepipes:
American Stripping Company - powder coating

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #491

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
IMG_3904.jpg
Once again I’m having to fix Hellion issues. The log is too close to my brake lines on the drivers side. I’m going to dent the log a little and cover the line with Heat shielding I got from Home Depot HVAC section. This should do the trick.

Reactions: FreddyG and RES

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #493 (Edited)
IMG_3898.jpg

Better news. One of the 525lph pumps came in. Once the rest of the Fore components come in I’ll run PTFE fuel line and she will be a little closer to making snail sounds.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #494 (Edited)
IMG_3921.jpg
Most of my fuel system components came in today. Just waiting on the PTFE line and a couple of adapters and I should be able to get this thing fired up. Ohhhhh and finish the start up tune.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
IMG_3940.jpg

Also got the oil drain pan mounted. Still waiting on some custom fitting to come in before I can build all of the lines.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #497 (Edited)
IMG_3939.jpg

Last one for today. I got my Boost controller in today after waiting for 3 wks. Also got my -6 PTFE return lines in. Just waiting on my filter and I’ll run all of the fuel system stuff.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
View attachment 1018804
Last one for today. I got my Boost controller in today after waiting fir 3 wks. Also got my -6 PTFE return lines in. Just waiting on my filter and I’ll run all of the fuel system stuff.

You're making some Great progress and I'm excited for you to get her up and running! You made a Really good choice in boost controllers too!

Thanks again for sharing your progress because I'm living my modding tendencies through you (My Wife said Thanks too because it saved us quite a bit of money without having to switch to GEICO :D)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
You're making some Great progress and I'm excited for you to get her up and running! You made a Really good choice in boost controllers too!

Thanks again for sharing your progress because I'm living my modding tendencies through you (My Wife said Thanks too because it saved us quite a bit of money without having to switch to GEICO :D)
Hey at least someone’s wife is happy with this deal. Mine just keeps asking me when am I going to finish already. Hopefully sometime here soon. More to come as always.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
Hey at least someone’s wife is happy with this deal. Mine just keeps asking me when am I going to finish already. Hopefully sometime here soon. More to come as always.

LOL..............I've been in your shoes before and I can feel your pain! Hang in there DakBuilder because there is light at the end of the tunnel and you're making good progress! (y)

481 - 500 of 519 Posts