Dodge Challenger Forum banner
781 - 800 of 840 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
198 Posts
Dak, yeah been following your build since the incident on the track. Very informative and lots of time and money put into it. Keep up the good work.

Gerv, we have the same model year. I'm hoping the upgrades I've done and will do, can improve the car in every way. Thanks for checking out the build.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
Dak, yeah been following your build since the incident on the track. Very informative and lots of time and money put into it. Keep up the good work.
Thanx gerv, that means a lot to me.... I'm hoping to get the reluctor swapped here soon. I want to get this car back together and see what it makes.... I am planning to address some of the items I over looked like the control arms, and the drive shaft upgrades.

Reactions: gerv

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,429 Posts
Thanx gerv, that means a lot to me.... I'm hoping to get the reluctor swapped here soon. I want to get this car back together and see what it makes.... I am planning to address some of the items I over looked like the control arms, and the drive shaft upgrades.
Hey Dak!
Speaking of driveline upgrades, I'll be doing the HHP Getrag Clutch upgrade here in the next couple of weeks. Did you decide to go with the Wavetrac?

Also do you DIY balance your rotating assembly? I discovered you have to actually rebalance everything when changing the reluctor/tone ring. I get it, but seems like those could be zero balanced as an option. I'm checking to see if I can get the PCM updated to work with a different reluctor instead of going through rebalancing the crank.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
McCloud,

I didn't go with the Wavetrac..... I did the clutch upgrades from Tasca Parts (HHP gets theirs from them). I had Eric from OST do my 3.55 Getrag first, then I did the 3.73 unit I got from you on a 3.09 diff I acquired. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with the 3.91 and 4.29 diff's I have as well, as I'm sure they both need clutch upgrades, or the wave track. I'm thinking once I figure out which unit gives me the best 1/4 times, then I'll do the Wavtrac in that unit...... As for the balancing after the reluctor swap. I was actually planning on doing that as well, so it was part of the process, but honestly I can't see how not doing so would hurt on a rotating assembly that was already balanced and only ran for 25 minutes. I can't imagine really needing to get my assembly rebalanced. I'm just picky at this point. I'm also going to do some transmission upgrades as well. If you are having issues with the reluctor that you plan to go too, I think you should be able to swap to the sensor that is associated with the model year your engine is from. I'm guessing I could've done this but I opted to do it right and be done with it. I may want to open up the rings and check the bearings as well so this is the time to do so,

Reactions: McCloud

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

So this project is still moving forward. Slowly but surely. Made some time to get the drivers side strut installed. Lots and lots of grinding was involved. It may be easier to go with a set of 10 & Below lower control arms or v6 units. That said like everything thus far this is just a little bit of customization to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
Update alert. Finally pulled the motor and pistons. Things don’t look too bad.
Hood Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Reactions: Moparrebel

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Gas Auto part Metal Personal protective equipment Machine

These were probably the worse of the rod bearings.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Nickel Auto part Machine

Most looked like this.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Here is how she sits at the moment.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 ·
I also received this today
Brown Wood Cabinetry Floor Shotgun

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
Put the baby girl to work also.
Hand Comfort Black Wood Sleeve

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
Shoe Wood Gadget Comfort Finger

The factory crash bar weighs about 19 ibs

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
The Speed logix unit weighs about 2.5
Brown Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
I will say that the Speed Logix unit appears to be nicely made. But I was only able to get 6 bolt holes to line up(13 Challenger R/T). 4 on passenger side and 2 on drivers side. For some this may be an issue. For me I’m fine with it as it provides the weight savings I’m after and it really only needs 4 bolts to hold it in place. 2 on each side.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
One more thing I thought worth mentioning. There is still excellent cross hatch on my cylinder walls. I will ball peen hone the block again prior to reinstalling the pistons and rods. Initial inspection of the pistons shows that only cylinder 1 & 2 fired most of the time. Hardly any carbon was placed on the remaining piston. Lastly I have confirmed that I could have swapped sensors to a 11-12 style crank sensor and I would have gotten the correct signal to the ECU. That said I wanted to check everything out as the cylinder walls seemed to have gotten washed out. Tomorrow I pull the Crank balancer front cover, timing chain, oil pump and inspect the cam bearings. More to come.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,904 Posts
Wow, you have great patience

A Guy

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,429 Posts
One more thing I thought worth mentioning. There is still excellent cross hatch on my cylinder walls. I will ball peen hone the block again prior to reinstalling the pistons and rods. Initial inspection of the pistons shows that only cylinder 1 & 2 fired most of the time. Hardly any carbon was placed on the remaining piston. Lastly I have confirmed that I could have swapped sensors to a 11-12 style crank sensor and I would have gotten the correct signal to the ECU. That said I wanted to check everything out as the cylinder walls seemed to have gotten washed out. Tomorrow I pull the Crank balancer front cover, timing chain, oil pump and inspect the cam bearings. More to come.

So you were able to confirm it's the sensor swap that is really needed not actually changing the reluctor wheel or updating the PCM OS?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
So you were able to confirm it's the sensor swap that is really needed not actually changing the reluctor wheel or updating the PCM OS?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Yes that’s all you really need to do. I’m swapping my reluctor, because I need to check the bearings to ensure I didn’t spin one. I strongly suspect that all is well but hey I’m this far in. Minds well fix everything. Just bought the Fire Innovations fuel pressure regulator (should have done that from the start) and a Hellcat oil pump. This way I can say for sure everything internally is upgraded and good to go. My next hurdle to deal with is getting the ATI ban we removal tool.

Reactions: McCloud

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 ·
Wow, you have great patience

A Guy
Not really patient just determined to succeed. Lots of people fail due to lack of determination. I fail because I’m an idiot with lots of determination or motivation depends on how you look at things.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Not really patient just determined to succeed. Lots of people fail due to lack of determination. I fail because I’m an idiot with lots of determination or motivation depends on how you look at things.

Give yourself some credit. It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to keep going, especially when tough stuff happens.

781 - 800 of 840 Posts