Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys hopefully i can get some answers here i know it ramdom but here it goes. about 2 weeks ago i bought a challenger srt8 .. i had to put it under someone elses name for now.. i started having issues with the car now i want to return it.. dealer said they dont take cars back.and have been ignoring mento. the thing here is i put my number down as the employee of my friend and now they are calling to verify employment.. if i say "they no longer work here" will loan fall off and the dealer will have to take the car back?? will this effect my friends credit.. will i get the car i traded in back? please anyone thnk u all!

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I'm making some assumptions here because your wording is a bit awkward.

You say you bought the car. I assume that you signed the contract and have taken possession of the car. If so, the loan will not "go bad" if you lose your job. However, you do NOT want a repossession on your credit report unless you won't need credit for the foreseeable future. However, I'm not sure if there can be repercussions for lying on your credit application.

Can you be more specific about the problems? If the car has major problems that the dealer cannot fix, perhaps the Lemon Law can help you get another car.

This sounds more like a case of "buyer's remorse" if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The scenario is less than entirely clear, but if one attempts to arrange the purchase of a car under someone else's name and provides false information on a credit application and also poses as someone he is not (i.e., the employer), such actions fall under the category of fraud and are felonious offenses.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
There is probably not much of a warranty left since it is a Used 2010 SRT8 with 34k Miles. Do "Lemon Laws" apply to used cars?
No. Lemon Laws do not cover used cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok il try to be more clear.. so i took my friend so she can take the car out on her name.. she signed and everything.. i started having issues with the car like radio doesnt work breaks tranny is getting stuck.. car shuts off when idleing.. when we did the paper work the manager asked for proof of income but she couldnt get it.. so they put that she works for a family business and put my number as verification.. i talked to dealer about issues and they just keep brushing it off.. so today i get a call from a gentlemen wanting to confirm emplyment but i didnt answer.. so my question here is if i say "no she hasnt worked here for a while" will that stop the loan forcing dealer to take car back? will it affect my friends credit ? and will i get my car that i traded in?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Regardless of who's name it is under the car was signed and you owe them the money legally. If your finance falls through, you still owe them the money and they can sue or repossess at their discretion. [not a lawyer, just common sense] Moreover if your friend is the one who signed, SHE is the one who is going to get sued or repossessed.

If you are truly having issues with a recent used car purchase, all you need to do is prove that the dealer either knew or should have known about those issues and get a consumer protection group to help you. Though since it's not in your name your friend is going to be the one who has to deal with all of the legal challenges.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
^^^^

What he said, that could not be clearer, I am sure in the contract "she" signed it was "as is" no warranty as is the case with most used cars.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tthe person that signed is on the hook, Yes, it could affect her credit depending on how it all plays out, she could also get in trouble legally depending on how it is pursued by the loan company. as far as your trade, it would depend on what the dealer has done with it (auction, sold etc) and if they are willing to work this out with her. lemon law applies to new cars only and it has to be the same issue being looked at several times before you can pursue this avenue. Never a good idea to get someone else involved in your purchase. Hope things work out for her and you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
^^^^

What he said, that could not be clearer, I am sure in the contract "she" signed it was "as is" no warranty as is the case with most used cars.
Yes, thanks for the clarification. It's as is, so unless you can PROVE that they knew or should have known about a major issue that was not fully disclosed, there's nothing you can do about it. Unless it fails a safety inspection or has serious mechanical failures that were not noted, you're stuck. Moreover, little things aren't of much help. If the dealer noted on the sticker "dome light working" and it doesn't work, that isn't enough to force a return. If the dealer says it passed safety inspection and the headlights don't turn on, that's a different issue. If they say the engine is working fine but there's a crack in the header, that's a different issue. Unless there is an OBVIOUS safety or major mechanical issue, you're going to have a hard time proving anything.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Why wasn't the employment verified before the car left the dealership? If the loan was gained by lying there can be repercussions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why wasn't the employment verified before the car left the dealership? If the loan was gained by lying there can be repercussions.
Depends on your credit and the dealer, I suppose. Both of the last two new cars I purchased I left only signing the documents, I didn't send them the check until a few days later. Granted, I brought a print out that I was pre-approved for a loan through USAA, but those can be faked of course.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For anyone else reading this thread later: Two takeaways for future large purchase experiences.

First, always verify everything yourself. Test drive the car yourself, fiddle with everything, ask them to have an independent mechanic verify if you'd like the extra insurance. When buying a house, have your own inspector check it out every time. No reason not to.

Second there are friends and family I would trust with my life, but there isn't anyone I would trust with my credit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow tons of info!!so basically i should just keep bugging the dealer to fix rather than try to return it and most likly having legal issues..

·
Registered
225 Posts
wow tons of info!!so basically i should just keep bugging the dealer to fix rather than try to return it and most likly having legal issues..

Another option you could try pursuing that they may be more amiable towards is swapping cars instead of returning. If you can show them enough problems and annoy them enough that you aren't going away they may still want to hold the line on a return but let you swap it. Then they would be able to fix (or maybe not) the issues and resell it later and don't lose the sale.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A swap might be possible but only if it has been a week or less since signing (most large dealerships take 3-5 days to process paperwork). The reason for this is that the wheels are already in motion after that time frame for the bank. It has assigned your vehicle as collateral against the loan. As far as I am aware, banks would treat the swapped vehicle as a new loan, closing your old one and opening a new one with the new vehicle listed as collateral. This would start the paperwork issue all over for you again as you would have to re-sign everything with the new vin# on it. The only way a swap would work is if you can catch the paperwork before it is processed out of dealership.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like the idiot that let you use there credit is on the hook for a broken car. If you want to remain friends I would say you should man up and pay for your mistake. If you don't care to remain friends and are a scumbag then hand her the keys and say I hope you learned your lesson about signing a loan doc for someone else.

Some states do have a law about voiding a contract in 72 hours. But then again most car dealerships have a sign that says no cool off period. nevermind I see it was weeks ago. No telling what happened to the poor thing in those 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts