Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My research will end for the right tire, I know the sizes I want though. Thing is I can't afford expensive tires, I'm kind of stuck between the Coopers, Generals, Hankooks, and the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS?

I've heard nothing but good about these. Great treadlife, W speed rating IIRC, and good grip. Anyone have experience with these, good or bad?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tirerack tested four ultra-performance all season tires. The Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS was rated adequate but came in last. The top tire was the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2. Check out this video.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...reModel=Firehawk+Wide+Oval+AS+(W-Speed+Rated)

That's a great review! Thanks so much, those are the exact type and price range I'm looking for. I still may do the ALL summer ones since I have winter tires, but it's too bad the Hankooks don't come in 275/40 20x.

The General seems to be a solid tire but the tread noise is high. Will that even matter those with my booming Zoomers exhaust though? LOL

If I go summer I'm definitely going with the Cooper Zeon RS3-Ss again. Nothing but good to say about this tire, other than the treadl ife.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I'll be putting the Firestone wide oval Indy 500's on my car here in the next week or so.

My review will probably be biased though since Bridgestone/Firestone signs my paycheck !

So I say get ya some 'stones!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
i looked at them tires for a bit jay. i have had firestone in the past and had not so good luck.. every set i have had in various config's ( trucks's & cars ) all of them i could not get them to balance out. not sure why.. but i have heard from multiple people that seams to be a issue with firestones. I have a friend that works for firestone and he says the same thing so take that for what it it.

if you are happy with what you have stick with them.. otherwise man i would try the ones i bought. they are about the same money as coopers.

let me know what you end up doing
chris

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I had Firestone Destination AT's put on my truck in December with no issues. And had Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's put on my girlfriends GTI yesterday with no issues.

Her car has 8k miles on it and came with some expensive hard to find Dunlop tires on it. She got a puncture on the interior sidewall of one of the tires and it was more cost effective to buy a new set vs. replacing that one tire - crazy.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have them, on my other ride, which is a high performance front wheel drive car. I switch to Dirizza at the track. I got them on a buy 3 get one free sale, for an inexpensive performance tire, I thought they were just fine. These wide ovals replaced my Yokohama S-Drive while awesome tires, I mean truly phenomenal tires, they only lasted 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Sum it up, buy them on sale and they offer good value for the money but they are not the cat's meow.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
usually firestone shops have the buy 3 get one free deal i noticed

·
Registered
828 Posts
I love my Firestone Wide Ovals!!! I've had them on a couple of vehicles and they have lasted quite well while having good wet weather traction.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Cool ! Are you running the All Seasons or the Indy 500's ?

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Cool, glad to hear you like them. Our GTI has them on it as of yesterday and mine for my car should be in any day now.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I run them during the summer and then switch out to my 17's with Firestone Winterforce snow tires.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for sharing. I don't know where in Iowa you live but we have a huge plant is Des Moines where they make all of the Agricultural tires. So you're supporting your local economy for sure !

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'll be putting the Firestone wide oval Indy 500's on my car here in the next week or so.

My review will probably be biased though since Bridgestone/Firestone signs my paycheck !

So I say get ya some 'stones!

I have Indy 500s on the rear and they hook very good on the street. Not so much on the track, but that should be expected. It's a good, smooth and quiet tire. I love them!

Now the F/S tires that came with my RT (I still have them on the front) are wearing good, but lacked traction when on the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's my conundrum:

I really have become addicted to the ultimate dry grip of having an ultra high performance tire. The Cooper Zeon RS3-S has been OUTSTANDING as a summer tire. Now, I already have 18" base R/T wheels with Blizzaks for winter. I keep vasilating between going with an all-season performance for the treadlife, but I want that ultimate grip. I'm afraid if I go with an all-season I will miss the performance I'm getting with the Zeon RS3-S.

I know the Firestones would be a huge downgrade in ultimate handling but would last a lot longer. I really don't NEED the all-season element in a tire since I got a winter setup.

I might ending up sticking with the Cooper tires for my next set and keep the ultra high dry performance and go back to my winter tires. However if there is an all-season that rivals the RS3-S in handling, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for sharing. I don't know where in Iowa you live but we have a huge plant is Des Moines where they make all of the Agricultural tires. So you're supporting your local economy for sure !
Cedar Rapids.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's, no problems and great looking tire.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had the wide oval AS put on about a month ago. I put 275/40/20 on the back. HUGE improvement over the stock Firehawk GTs in 245 that came on the car. I am so far very satisfied with them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts