Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally we don't talk much about showing our cars on ChallengerTalk, but I wanted to let you know how much drawing power our cars have at shows. I entered the car in the Star of the Desert Classic in Tucson today. It won Best of Class in the 1980's-present category! Considering that about 1/3 of the cars entered in this show were built during that time, that's quite a compliment to our cars.

:woot:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Normally we don't talk much about showing our cars on ChallengerTalk, but I wanted to let you know how much drawing power our cars have at shows. I entered the car in the Star of the Desert Classic in Tucson today. It won Best of Class in the 1980's-present category! Considering that about 1/3 of the cars entered in this show were built during that time, that's quite a compliment to our cars.

:woot:
Congratulations!
Gorgeous weather....no snow...trophies....You're just trying to make us jealous!:fight:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations!
Gorgeous weather....no snow...trophies....You're just trying to make us jealous!:fight:
Sorry, I forget that there's still some bad weather out there...

I also got to visit with Yeti (Curt) from Colorado again today. His dad lives in Tucson and we're becoming fast friends at car shows here.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Congrats on ''Best of Show'' I haven't heard anyone say that the DWB was a bad color. With it being a DWB 392 IE is a winner. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Congrats man!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
so you can drive a brand new car to a car show and win a trophy?

you can win against something unique from the 1980's in mint condition?

it doesnt seem right...congratulations, but it seems odd to me...id never think of entering a car show with a car that isnt 20 years old or that i didnt restore....

·
Registered
396 Posts

it doesnt seem right...congratulations, but it seems odd to me...id never think of entering a car show with a car that isnt 20 years old or that i didnt restore....
You can show that 92 IE Viper right about now .
I always see new cars @ shows. They generally have there
own categories. Nothing wrong with that . Besides how many 80-91
camaros , mustangs & vettes can you tolerate.

Can't fathom a show in March since we still have snow melting , dreary rain, abundant potholes & sand that make you feel like you're running the baja :disgust:

Oh & OP congrats on the trophy !

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Way to go Steve!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So, huggy, I take it you don't do shows. These shows can be judged several different ways, and this one was judged by all the other participants. So if the guy with the car from the 80's likes it, he votes for it. Many of us believe there ought to be more categories, but the people who run the shows decide.

The point of this is the drawing power of the car, not whether we should be in shows with them :) Come to SpringFest later this month and you will see some real LX/LC show cars!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

it doesnt seem right...congratulations, but it seems odd to me...id never think of entering a car show that isnt 20 years old or that i didnt restore....
I agree with huggy on this - with one exception. If the "new" car has been significantly modified in some way, then I can see why it is in a car show.

But if it is essentially stock, under a year old, and anyone can buy one, then I dont really see the point.

JFF:D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with huggy on this - with one exception. If the "new" car has been significantly modified in some way, then I can see why it is in a car show.

But if it is essentially stock, under a year old, and anyone can buy one, then I dont really see the point.

Don't forget that the 392 IEs are rare right now BW or DWB. The only ones I saw are at the dealers. I took my 09 RT to shows and won a few trophies and plaques. Did a few mods on it. If you like sitting around all day, I didn't do any shows last year tho.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Well for one it's fun to hang with like minded car nuts.
This car is flying so under the radar at least people
will know about the 392 .
Right now it's like Dodge wants
to keep it a secret.
Not all car shows are antiques only.
Personally I like to see a nice mix. Some of the
new stuff is cool.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well for one it's fun to hang with like minded car nuts.
This car is flying so under the radar at least people
will know about the 392 .
Right now it's like Dodge wants
to keep it a secret.
Not all car shows are antiques only.
Personally I like to see a nice mix. Some of the
new stuff is cool.
Please don't misunderstand me. I am totally down with attending car shows to "hang with like minded car nuts". In fact, I hope to do some of that myself this summer with my new GWE SRT. :D

What I don't really get is awarding prizes/trophys to "new" cars that simply stock and can be bought by anyone. I get that they are "somewhat" rare, but I don't see how that means they qualify to win anything.

My view is that the reward of winning should be for more than simply wrting a check to purchase something. It should be an incentive to reward those put the time and effort into making it something special, unique, and different that something anyone else can bring to the show. If I drove my GWE SRT straight from the dealer to a show and won an award, I wouldn't really understand why. Anybody that wants to spend the money can do that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What I don't really get is awarding prizes/trophys to "new" cars that simply stock and can be bought by anyone. I get that they are "somewhat" rare, but I don't see how that means they qualify to win anything.

My view is that the reward of winning should be for more than simply wrting a check to purchase something. It should be an incentive to reward those put the time and effort into making it something special, unique, and different that something anyone else can bring to the show. If I drove my GWE SRT straight from the dealer to a show and won an award, I wouldn't really understand why. Anybody that wants to spend the money can do that.

I hear ya , but lets face it , that's the way it is with the old cars too.
Write a check buy a fully restored (Insert Car here) show car
accept trophy or drop some serious coin & pay for a show winning resto/resto mod.

I suspect Jay Leno didn't turn too many wrenches & is sitting
on a room full of trophies.

If you have the stones to buy a 470hp 6.4 liter V8 when gas is nealry 4 bucks & climbing you deserve some love & trophy style kudos :kiss:

IMHO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I hear ya , but lets face it , that's the way it is with the old cars too.
Write a check buy a fully restored (Insert Car here) show car
accept trophy or drop some serious coin & pay for a show winning resto/resto mod.

I suspect Jay Leno didn't turn too many wrenches & is sitting
on a room full of trophies.

If you have the stones to buy a 470hp 6.4 liter V8 when gas is nearly 4 bucks & climbing you deserve some love & trophy style kudos :kiss:

IMHO :thumbsup:
x2 LOL :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Good on you! I think anyone who does the show circuit knows there's more than just driving the car to the show and parking it. Just as in drag racing there's more preparation than just mashing the pedal for a quarter mile.

·
Registered
483 Posts

:werd:

I know we have plenty of reasons to be proud of our cars, but "showing" a car that can still be picked up new on the dealer lot never made any sense to me. :notallthere:

Congrats, but I also fall into the "I don't see the point" category.

·
Registered
396 Posts
:werd:

I know we have plenty of reasons to be proud of our cars, but "showing" a car that can still be picked up new on the dealer lot never made any sense to me. :notallthere:

Congrats, but I also fall into the "I don't see the point" category.
I've shown older cars & a few newer. Alot of the people viewing the cars don't see them at car lots or even know they exist, particularly the kids/teens.
They dig seeing them, specially all cleaned up & shiny .
If I was at a show & saw a Dozen IE's lined up I'd think it was the
shizzle. It's in the presentation.
If I'm at a dealer & see a fingerprint layden IE butting up next to a left over dodge journey or caravan & the commotion associated with a dealership I'm not feeling it.
Also great way to get owners first hand opinions, likes, dislikes, tweeks mods etc..

I see this both ways but as a car fan I appreciate anyone taking the time to present their car new or old, in a nice fashion .

The topic is interesting & hopefully no one takes it personal.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i see the point of driving it to a car show....i remember seeing new Corvettes and checking them out...the IE is a special edition, so it will always be a car show type car.

id like to see your car at a car show...i just dont think a brand new car should win any prize....yea a 1980's Buick BN w/ 10,000 miles should win a trophy...a 2 week old car shouldnt...

its not your fault you won...i just find it strange they'd give it to you...

·
Registered
396 Posts
i see the point of driving it to a car show....i remember seeing new Corvettes and checking them out...the IE is a special edition, so it will always be a car show type car.

id like to see your car at a car show...i just dont think a brand new car should win any prize....yea a 1980's Buick BN w/ 10,000 miles should win a trophy...a 2 week old car shouldnt...

its not your fault you won...i just find it strange they'd give it to you...
I think the point of the trophy is encouraging participation. Some shows here charge you to enter a car & get judged so it's a bit of a reward , also the organizers like to keep you around mulling around the various vendors for an extended period of time so you get locked into waiting for the trophy presentation & can blow a few $ on pretzels , T shirst & die casts.

BTW
The guy with the 69 440 charger is saying why'd the guy with the 87 Buick GN win a trophy for keeping his car in the garage for 20 years ?

The guy with the 56 fuelie corvette is saying what's so special about the 69 charger 20,000 were made ?

The old man with the 30's Auburn boattail shot a middle finger to everyone !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts